So I really want to play an instrument, I tried guitar but I just couldn't get the hang of it, and I feel like the bass would be easier to learn. My questions are, is this true? And if I learn how to play the bass decently, will it help me to learn guitar easier?
well it will help your hand strength. So yes it will help. But playing the guitar will help you learn guitar easier.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
OK, heres my 2 cents. While bass can be easier to pick up at first it is equally hard to master. If you become proficent at bass it can help with guitar playing only in the sense you'll have a better understanding of time and music theory, and your fingers will be used to fretting.
yeah i play both bass and guitar, and when i play bass for a while and then swich to guitar, it feels like the strings are so small and i can play better.
Playing bass won't make you a better guitar player just like playing guitar won't make you a better guitar player. But playing any instrument will make you a better musician. As for difficulty, there is no such thing as an easy or difficult instrument.
both bass and guitar are as easy or as hard as you make them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It does help though, My friend has played 7 years of bass, then moved to guitar for about 2 years or so, and now he's better at guitar than I am and I've played for almost 4 years.
sigh...
i myself play both bass and guitar. Bass issn't that much easier it's just that bass lines are less hard and remain unveried in most occasions so it makes up for te finger tabbing.
When play bass to learn guitar don't play pick bass, hardly any difference
Thanks for the answers, I'm still not sure which one I want to go with. Would it be confusing to learn them both at the same time?
^Not at all.

Quote by enceps
It does help though, My friend has played 7 years of bass, then moved to guitar for about 2 years or so, and now he's better at guitar than I am and I've played for almost 4 years.

That's because he was a better musician when he started. Musicianship helps to learn any instrument. It's not a direct transformation from technical ability of bass to guitar.
f you've ever played bass for a few mins then switch right over to guitar you'll notice that your fingers can move around easier on the guitar neck atleast for me lol. But yea playing bass will improve your finger movement and strength or whatever
Do Whip-Its
I think it definitely helps w/ rythym but the difference b/w the size of a bass compared to that of a guitar is just too hard to ignore. However, the bass is damn fun to play.
Playing bas will help only a little bit. The bass and guitar are 2 different instruments. Different styles and different positions in a band.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
If the question is "I don't have the patience to learn guitar - should I play bass instead?" then the answer is no.

Learn the instrument you want to play. If you're not putting the effort in with guitar then you won't find bass any easier.
I find that bass does aid me in playing guitar and vice versa.

But it really all comes down to musicianship - taking up any instrument when you already know another is going to help you.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by smb
If the question is "I don't have the patience to learn guitar - should I play bass instead?" then the answer is no.

Learn the instrument you want to play. If you're not putting the effort in with guitar then you won't find bass any easier.

I totally agree.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
I play both. And yes I found that playing bass made me a better guitarist, but I played guitar for quite sometime before playing bass.

They are two different instruments as stated above. One does compliment the other, though and playing bass has made me tune in more in my guitar playing to nuances and grounded me rhythmically. It has also made me far more cognizant of music theory in my playing than I was as a guitar player. From a physical standpoint, playing bass has made me more fluid on the fretboard, because of my increased strength and muscle memory in my fretting hand.

Don't take up bass with the mindset that its a substitute for a failed guitar attempt. Each instrument has its challenges and bass is no exception. Take up bass or any instrument because it appeals to you and it speaks to you.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
As for difficulty, there is no such thing as an easy or difficult instrument.

One of the most intelligent things ever said, I think. The instrument is as hard/easy as you make it.

Also, I did find playing bass helped me play guitar. The first time I just held a bass it felt like trying to play a log because I was used to a nice, comfortable Fender Strat. But then say when I played guitar, it was like the strings were butter in comparison, I feel it made me much more comfortable with guitar.

Also, not forgetting playing bass requires at least a minimal amount of theory, it can help set you off down that road.