Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about this today in science class. Since we came up with ways to treat deadly diseases like cancer and diabetes and whatnot, natural selection can't get rid of the people with those diseases, causing them to be passed down from generation to generation.

Also say someone had a mutation that causes them to have giant ears and a giant nose. They can smell better and hear more than everyone else but because they are so freakish looking nobody wants to mate with them causing this useful trait to disappear.

What do you guys think???
Well practicing Eugenics would make us less than human.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
No
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
For humans maybe, but other animals will still evolve.

Actually, we'll probably have more useless organs like how the appendix is.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
no, we'll probably keep evolving
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
I've thought of this more.

Don't you think it'd be rude to tell all the mentally retarded and the physically handicapped, "You can't have sex, now go home and kill yourself.".
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
no clearly not. what could have caused it to stop?
we just dont notice it because it takes millions of years for even tiny changes to happen, and our own life span is so short.
Seeing as the entire history of medicine is just a blip on the evolutionary scale then no, not really.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Flying Couch
No.
Quote by wemonir
yes

I'm confused
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
Too early to tell.

It's also occured to me that us as humans today are much more frail and fragile than the firsrt breeds of Homo Sapiens Sapiens. We may not have hit a totally new species yet, but some of the symptoms are there.
Now I'll elaborate.
Quote by master
I was thinking about this today in science class. Since we came up with ways to treat deadly diseases like cancer and diabetes and whatnot, natural selection can't get rid of the people with those diseases, causing them to be passed down from generation to generation.
And this would mean the cessation of evolution because...?

Quote by master
Also say someone had a mutation that causes them to have giant ears and a giant nose. They can smell better and hear more than everyone else but because they are so freakish looking nobody wants to mate with them causing this useful trait to disappear.

Then that useful trait disappears. End of story.

Evolution is not about making the "best" organism.
What? What makes you think that?

With every generation tiny changes are made. We are getting taller, fatter and we get bigger feet. Men are growing bald at a much earlier age. Our eye sight is getting worse.
And then there's the changes in our organs.
Our brain is undoubtedly still evolving.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Firequacker
I've thought of this more.

Don't you think it'd be rude to tell all the mentally retarded and the physically handicapped, "You can't have sex, now go home and kill yourself.".

That might seem a sliver more sensible if children developmental disabilities only came from parents with developmental disabilities, perhaps to even further narrow the possibility we should kill people who drink, smoke, or have any form of an x-ray during pregnancy.
Yes, we have interfered with natural selection and will probably change little in future. We will no longer need to adapt to our environment as we are adapting our environment to suit us. We work hard to ensure that the "weak" have as good a chance in life as the rest of us. Future evolution of the human race will probably be down to sexual selection only.
It's way to early to tell, but I'm going to guess that all it's done would be slow it down. Seeing as it takes so long anyways, we won't notice a difference.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
We have kinda funked up evolution because we're letting the weak and ugly breed rather than starve.
Quote by master
Natural selection is.

No it's not.
It;s about making the organism best suited to it's environment.

Humans have the unique ability to change our environment.

WE have not stopped evolution, evidence has shown that we are getting taller etc.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by master
Natural selection is.
Best adapted, which is not necessarily the same thing, but the difference is often negligible. Which are we talking about? Evolution or natural selection? They are not exactly the same thing.

If you're talking about natural selection, then yes, we may well have stopped it. As someone else said, we now force our environments to change to accomodate us, rather than change ourselves as our environment dictates. We are no longer really 'selected by nature.' One might even say we consciously select what traits are the most well-adapted.

Evolution, however, will continue unabated.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Mar 7, 2008,
well evolution is based on sexual success, meaning those that are best suited to create an offspring capable of reproduction in their environment will survive. For the most part this has been eliminated in modern society. What do I mean? well, a perfect example is a guy I know from Africa, he used to have to fight other children for food to live, survival of the fittest. Now with an overabundance of food here, he doesn't have too. No more competition, the fact that the population is basically 50/50(male to female) means relatively little competition. Until resources become more scarce evolution is at a standstill.
I wouldn't say stopped, but I say maybe we've put a bit of a damper on natural selection. Definitely not stopped, because the few people that are infertile are still infertile and we haven't cured every single disease and (VERY probably) never will. And mentally retarded people get laid far less frequently than other people, on average.
You have to look at evolution differently. It's not really our resistence to disease or our ability to sense things. But rather the one's who survive will be people who are overall A)Smarter (by this I do not mean square root of 837392, rather one who can read others, one that knows the most prosperous decision when faced with choice.) and B) Luckier. You were born in a third world country with no food or clean water? Sucks to be you. Natural Selection. What one has to understand is we are a part of nature, a part of the universe as much as dirt, flamingos, and even our own thoughts. No matter the creed you take this is true.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by MartiniKiss7
no, we'll probably keep evolving

Things evolve to better adapt to their environment. Us humans can change things around us to better support us. So there is no need for human evolution when there is nothing to adapt to.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Our population has increased so rapidly that we are draining resources from the envrionment at an unsustainable rate. We no longer have enough resources to support the population; mass collapse in economy and population. This collapse will continue until we reach an equilibrium population where we can use resources sustainably. At that point, technology and whatnot will stop being developed and we'll have to go back to very basic living.
Though that probably won't happen for awhile.
Of course, science may ensure it never happens, but if the population continues to grow the way it is, a collapse is going to occur sooner or later.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Flying Couch
Best adapted, which is not necessarily the same thing, but the difference is often negligible. Which are we talking about? Evolution or natural selection? They are not exactly the same thing.

If you're talking about natural selection, then yes, we may well have stopped it. As someone else said, we now force our environments to change to accomodate us, rather than change ourselves as our environment dictates. We are no longer really 'selected by nature.'

Evolution, however, will continue unabated.

My understanding is that evolution goes hand-in-hand with natural selection. As natural selection kills off the weak, only allowing the strong to breed-- humans evolve into a stronger species, no?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Flying Couch
Which are we talking about? Evolution or natural selection? They are not exactly the same thing.

Evolution is the process of which natural selection weeds out bad traits and promotes good ones. So, yeah, it pretty much is the same thing.

If you mess with the natural selection process, then yeah the way that a species evolves gets messed with. The more that science goes forward, the less natural selection will be relevant.

We could actually start getting worse if you think about it. We could get to the point where people with horribly weak immune systems survive just fine because our science has cures and vaccines for every disease possible. Once people with weak immune systems are surviving, they could mate with others and promote the genes. If these people continue to survive, sooner or later the immune system of the entire population will get weaker.
Quote by SoccerRM1
My understanding is that evolution goes hand-in-hand with natural selection. As natural selection kills off the weak, only allowing the strong to breed-- humans evolve into a stronger species, no?

well the theory of natural selection is the weak die unless they can adapt, evolve.If a creature can't evolve it will die thus natural selection.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Quote by grampastumpy
I wouldn't say stopped, but I say maybe we've put a bit of a damper on natural selection. Definitely not stopped, because the few people that are infertile are still infertile and we haven't cured every single disease and (VERY probably) never will. And mentally retarded people get laid far less frequently than other people, on average.

well infertile people happen as a result of a mutated gene, which is irrelevant because it is not advantageous. And we have cured most of the diseases that people have developed immunities too, Cancer, Aids etc. you don't really hear much of people who are immune to either because of the way they work. The human genome will not change much until there is a reason for it to, intelligence(unless mentally handicapped) is unrelated to sexual reproduction so we definitely won't be seeing IQ rates increasing anytime soon.
Quote by master

Your argument is respectable but cognigitve though is ALL part of human evolution, imagination is one of the many things that seperate the human race from 'animals'.

I can understand what your saying but the theory of evolution suggests that currently humans are the dominant species on earth.

Personaly I think that evolution sorts everything out. In millions of years to comeevotion will evolve and maybe humans will evolve into an even superior race OR another animal will evolve and become the new dominant speices.

e.g. APARENTLY humans are the cause for global warming. Humans have been the dominant speices on earth for more than a few years now, visa vi~ maybe global warming will be our ecuivelent (Sorry about the spelling, it is Friday night...) to the dinasours dying out.

Obviously a meteor hitting earth as a matter of pure fact is different to something that the human race has caused but to be honest in the end its interesting yo think about these things but your DEFINATLEY gonna' be DEAD when your question can be asnwered.

We cant stop evoluition because we're part of evolution.
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
Also I think in some ways we could be going backwards. Not physically, but mentally and socially. Successful, smart, and mature people are careful about birth control and reproduction while trashy people like the ones that show up on Maury pop out babies left and right and aren't careful about who they're mating with.
Evolution can't be stopped. All those ways to cure diseases and such are simply ways that humans are more "fit".
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by master
Also I think in some ways we could be going backwards. Not physically, but mentally and socially. Successful, smart, and mature people are careful about birth control and reproduction while trashy people like the ones that show up on Maury pop out babies left and right and aren't careful about who they're mating with.

Much of intelligence is nurture rather than nature and has little to do with genetics and more to do with schooling.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Raziel2p
Evolution can't be stopped. All those ways to cure diseases and such are simply ways that humans are more "fit".

how many of these major diseases are we curing nowadays, I hear more about new crazy viruses immune to antibiotics as opposed to cures for anything.
Quote by master
There is no going "backwards." It is not working towards some end goal.
Quote by Flying Couch
There is no going "backwards." It is not working towards some end goal.

We could very well become less fit - weaker immune system, more brittle bones, less strength, obtain conditions such as cancer more easily, etc.
Page 1 of 2