I'm back from my ban, and to celebrate, I'm asking UG for some advice. I've finally settled on an amp. I'm ordering a 5150 off of ebay.

Now for the questions:

A: How are the speakers? Would replacing them with a set V30's make any kind of positive difference?

B: I've heard that the tubes aren't that great, but that's a relatively cheap replacement. Anyone with experience know what tubes would maximize the quality of the sound?

I'm looking for a good metal tone, such as ATR, BFMV, and the such. I'm gonna be running an LTD Viper 400 with a set of EMG 81/85 through it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I would change the speakers yes. I tried the 6505 combo a few weeks ago and the speakers couldn't handle the low end of a 7 string and even with my Les Paul they didn't sound TOO great.
v30's or Eminence Legends would be good speakers to look at imo.
And yeah, apparantly changing the valves makes a lot of difference, but I havn't got round to changing the ones in my head yet. I hear that Eurotubes' High Gain set work wonders though.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I thought you preferred the TSL over the 5150? Anyways Marshall makes a TSL combo too. I think you also tried the XXX, but if you didn't then you should take a look at the combo.
And beware, the 5150 combo is a heavy (in weight) mofo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If I could afford a TSL I would sh!t myself. But the one I tried out was over $1000, and that was for a used 122. I don't have anywhere near that kind of money. I haven't tried the XXX (or maybe I did and don't remember, I've tried a LOT of amps). I've heard mixed opinions of it. I've seen an official demo of it on youtube and didn't really like the sound compared to other amps. BFMV and Trivium use 5150s/6505s, and those are the kinds of tones I'm aiming at, so I figure the 5150 will be a good choice. I've played a 5150 before and liked it a lot. Right now it's just a matter of the legendary ebay battles (I've got my mom taking care of that, she's an ebay expert apparently).

IIRC, the 5150 and 6505 combos don't use the same set of speakers. I've read that the speakers in the 5150 are much better than those in the 6505, so I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned with the tubes. I'll look into those eurotubes. I'm also considering JJ tubes. And if I see a XXX anytime soon I'll check it out.

Thanks for the replies.
Quote by mafropetee
If I could afford a TSL I would sh!t myself. But the one I tried out was over $1000, and that was for a used 122. I don't have anywhere near that kind of money. I haven't tried the XXX (or maybe I did and don't remember, I've tried a LOT of amps). I've heard mixed opinions of it. I've seen an official demo of it on youtube and didn't really like the sound compared to other amps. BFMV and Trivium use 5150s/6505s, and those are the kinds of tones I'm aiming at, so I figure the 5150 will be a good choice. I've played a 5150 before and liked it a lot. Right now it's just a matter of the legendary ebay battles (I've got my mom taking care of that, she's an ebay expert apparently).

IIRC, the 5150 and 6505 combos don't use the same set of speakers. I've read that the speakers in the 5150 are much better than those in the 6505, so I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned with the tubes. I'll look into those eurotubes. I'm also considering JJ tubes. And if I see a XXX anytime soon I'll check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

Trivium used XXXs too: I used to be a fanboy, so I know . Look for Mesa F-30s maybe? They're discontinued though, so good luck finding one locally.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Trivium used XXXs too: I used to be a fanboy, so I know . Look for Mesa F-30s maybe? They're discontinued though, so good luck finding one locally.

I'll look into that too. I've seen an F-50 on CL around my area, but it was a bit out of my price range.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Trivium used XXXs too: I used to be a fanboy, so I know

Only on a few songs from Ember to Inferno
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia