Page 1 of 2
Kidfadetoblack
727 IQ
I have an extra $25 in my pocket. I don't know if i should spend it on movies and stuff or buy another monster cable. My question is do cables even affect the tone of the guitar or just the noise? I have a monster cable from my guitar to my pedal and a cheap ass cable from my pedal to the amp.
Highwaytohell
Motorhead'll do ur mum
3,347 IQ
a cable can affect tone if the quality is poor enough. a nice cable can only make the sound quality more pristine. do what you want, but a new cable would not be a terrible investment
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
they can if you chaining up all sorts of equipment with ****ty 2$ bargain bin cords..

i think the biggest difference would be if you're using about 10-15 cords at once and then replaced them all with higher quality cords.

if its just the once cord.. i think it'd be tough to tell really, any difference might just be in your head.
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
apak
People who disagree die.
1,719 IQ
get some good gold plate monsters if your cables suck. They have a lifetime warranty so buy once, never buy again. good investment.
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist
267 IQ
yeah, but it's really minuscule and probably not noticeable unless you use a whole bunch of patching (i.e. a big effects chain) and/or really bad cables.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
wannabe_punk
has a bucket
582 IQ
what i've heard is that an engineer will tell you no, the cable does not affect the tone, but a dedicated guitarist (aka tone freak) will tell you yes.
i guess i'm not dedicated enough to care about the cable.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
no_thing101
certified shredhed
1,642 IQ
some people say there is a difference and some people say there isnt.

personally i dont think the differene is noticable.

i would reccomend u try it yourself to see if you can tell the difference.
mafropetee
7 string n00b
1,113 IQ
I'd say go ahead and get a new Monster cable. Can't argue with a lifetime warranty, and that cheapo cable will eventually die so may as well correct the problem before it arises instead of waiting and then rushing to the local music store because you're suddenly breaking up every two seconds.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
there ya go, even if it doesn't affect your tone, the cables are garanteed for life, so you won't have to worry about buying more at least

Reildeal
235 IQ
I notice differences based on cable quality..... But shouldn't be anything to be too concerned about unless you're recording and trying to lay down some really tight and clean tracks...

For just jammin any reasonable cable is perfectly acceptable
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
elchico04
1,477 IQ
make your own cables!
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
giternator
807 IQ
this is like saying if different picks or strings make a significant enough difference in your tone. it may be there but no one is gonna care.

i say get something with lifetime warantee just b/c its free cables for life but as far as justifying the 50 bucks for a monster, the tone wont be different.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Horizon-Standard-Guitar-Cable?sku=336010 i suggest these for being cheap yet have lifetime warranties. if anything goes wrong with them, just solder it up and go. its not that hard.

dont worry too much about it. what you should worry about tone wise is your amp and guitar/pickups, thats about it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
^^well actually, imo picks and strings make a huge difference.

and no you dont need a "gold" monster cable. the gold doesnt do anything.

But you do want a good cable. planet waves, dimarzio to name a couple.

a cheap cable can add tons of noise. and a thin or faulty speaker cable can fail and do harm to a head.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
elchico04
1,477 IQ
a cheap cable can make you go insane when you are trying to play metal with a country radio station in the background...god I want my cables to arrive already...
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
jcopello
177 IQ
YES, cables DO make a difference. i used to work for monster cable, i was into the company and their products for over 2 years, i know what im talking about. my whole rig is wired with studio pro 1000 cables, before i used crap like anyone else, and i was pleased of course because i didnt know how much tone the cables were taking from me.

once i switched to studio pro's my tone is SO much warmer and SO much more full its unbelievable. im not saying you need to go out and spend $500 on cabling, but atleast spend 30-40 on a decent monster gold rock guitar cable
Last edited by jcopello at Mar 7, 2008,
stangconv
Effin Rockstar
1,806 IQ
Quote by jcopello
YES, cables DO make a difference. i used to work for monster cable, i was into the company and their products for over 2 years, i know what im talking about. my whole rig is wired with studio pro 1000 cables, before i used crap like anyone else, and i was pleased of course because i didnt know how much tone the cables were taking from me.

once i switched to studio pro's my tone is SO much warmer and SO much more full its unbelievable. im not saying you need to go out and spend $500 on cabling, but atleast spend 30-40 on a decent monster gold rock guitar cable

So what do you say to the websites that claim that people cant tell the difference between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers?
ac/dc_freak91
UGs official groundkeeper
711 IQ
I don't get Monster Cables because they improve my tone, I get them because they reject EFI noise and are built tough.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

no_thing101
certified shredhed
1,642 IQ
Quote by jj1565

a cheap cable can add tons of noise. and a thin or faulty speaker cable can fail and do harm to a head.

i really do agree that picks change tone. i use two picks mainly. dunlop gator grip and ultex of the same thickness. The gator grip pick sounds pretty regular but the ultex pick adds a glassy quality to the attack of the note. i use ultex 90% of the time but thats mainly cause i use the ultex wears less.
elchico04
1,477 IQ
i also use ultex. I use the jazz IIIs. I feel like I get a nice crispy sharp tone from them compared to the normal jazz IIIs.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
picks and strings DEFINITELY make a difference in tone.. compare a standard jim dunlop nylon to a Jazz III. definitely different type of noise and texture. especially in leads. felt picks sure sound different. some people use metal.

and strings. it might be less noticeable, but compare a set of Ernie ball Stainless steels to a set of d'addario pure nickels. VERY different tones.

elchico04
1,477 IQ
i have never noticed that much of a change in tone from strings. maybe there is more of a difference with different gauges?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
giternator
807 IQ
my point with the picks and strings was that its such a subtle difference that unless ur comparing them immediately you prolly wont tell or care. can you people seriously be such tone freaks that strings are part of your tone concern? im only worried about my amp and guitar and im done. whatever strings feel the best and last the longest is what ill use. d'addarios and DR strings do it for me.

i have yet to notice any difference in tone with my strings or picks and i have used tons of different picks and strings. so
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
giternator
807 IQ
Quote by elchico04
i have never noticed that much of a change in tone from strings. maybe there is more of a difference with different gauges?

that i would agree. different gauges sound brighter, chunkier and louder or duller , thin and zero sustain.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Molsons Golden
UG's Resident Lush
177 IQ
I have a whole assortment of picks that use to coax different tones out of my guitars. I like to use under powered Pups and the pick's properties and compositions dramaticly effect the tone.

I use Brossard Picks for my accoustics mostly and Dunlop Ultex .66's or Tortex .60's fpr electrics. But I use one of the top more rounded corners to strike the strings, it gives me a warmer tone. I do like to use ythe Brossard Bone pick for plating slide work, it really gives you a nice bight.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
Quote by jj1565

yea picks and strings make big difference. but can't change strings everyday due to funding issue. i use fender celluloid premium heavy.

cheap cables add noise. crappy cable sound dull. crap but short cables are okay. crappy long cables are horrible.

monster is just a crap company. iono how they have such reputation tho. same goes to mogami.

i made my own cables and its wonderful. they're 20' and its better than my 6ft livewire i had.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
elchico04
1,477 IQ
^ill soon be joining you. my order has been delayed because the jacks I ordered were out of stock
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
2,002 IQ
Quote by jj1565

+1
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
Like stated above only thing that would effect quality is porely made cables with bad solder connections or hair thin wire size. Also the type of surrounding material can make a difference in keeping noise out. A cheap set Guitar Center gave me makes a loud static noise when it rubs accross the carpet or if something is rubbed against the carpet. That set is now my guitar repair test set needless to say lol
jcopello
177 IQ
Quote by stangconv
So what do you say to the websites that claim that people cant tell the difference between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers?

nothing really to say, people have their opinions. there is a reason monsters been around for over 20 years making top notch ****, and just because recently a few snobs that state theres no difference between a coat hanger and a top quality cable, doesnt mean its true. they want to go to walmart and load up on coat hangers to connect their precious 20k studio or theater, be my guest. if youve met the owner of the company and see how everythings made you would have no question that monsters the real deal. when i start seeing coat hangers starting to cost $150 with connectors soldered onto them, then maybe we'll talk.

as of now, im sticking with my studio pro's for life, end of story.
PiperDawnsGate
TheLunaticOnTheGrass
164 IQ
It really depends, if you have a lot of cable from your guitar to your amp then changing will effect tone. But if it's only cabled by about 10-20 feet, then there wont be a noticeable difference. And to the person who said gold doesn't effect anything, actually it does. Signal passes though gold much easier and faster than say copper, or some other metal. I say TS for your setup, you shouldn't be changing cables yet, but you should always have a backup so yeah...
Last edited by PiperDawnsGate at Mar 8, 2008,
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
^nah, the gold isnt going to improve ur tone. it'll help against corrosion provided you have gold to gold contact. most people dont anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
PiperDawnsGate
TheLunaticOnTheGrass
164 IQ
Quote by jj1565
^nah, the gold isnt going to improve ur tone. it'll help against corrosion provided you have gold to gold contact. most people dont anyway.

You're right gold wont improve tone, what i meant to say is that it'll help send the full signal, so you won't get as much noise. See signal passes through some metals better than others. If i can remember correctly from my physics class days it goes gold->copper->silver, in order of resistance. Longer the cable the more the signal will degrade. Same with metals the signal passes through.
elchico04
1,477 IQ
Gold corrodes much slower than copper.

all metals corrode. some in seconds and most, over many years.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
gold has better conductivity than nickel. but then gold is only used at the tip. imo, the tip is like 3 inches and then you get copper. it won't change tone. only if the whole cable was gold, it'd conduct better, but that'd be really fragile, won't even bend, and it'd be super expensive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
elchico04
1,477 IQ
im about to get solid gold cables...when im rich. who knows maybe it will become a new rap trend for rappers to wear cables around their necks instead of big chains.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Cool55155
109 IQ
Yes there is a difference because gold conducts electricity or w/e better so it will sound crisper. less fuzz, not a huge amount but it will.
angeldef
1,278 IQ
I'm not sure about tone per say but i notice with a cheap cable AKA the one that comes with the guitar, they tend to make buzzing noise when combine with the amp or hum which one can say worsen the tone. So i guess if you look at it this way, it does affect the tone.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Tackleberry
288 IQ
The free cables that come with a new guitar go from the box to the trash. They dont even make good test cables as the last one I got was bad when brand new. Good cables are worth investing in. Funny to see someone with a 2k amp and 2k guitar with the cheapest cable at the store connecting them. Higher quality will last longer and carry a better signal. The cheaper ones will use smaller wire which doesnt flow as good as larger wire. Will it make tone better maybe wont choke it so much so more signal. More signal more gain. Ask car stereo guys there is good speaker wire and not so good.