Page 1 of 2
it seems after every show i play, no matter what the band im playing with or the style of music im doing, someone always notices who my biggest influence is. i recorded something as a spur of the moment thing in my profile, its just a jam of texas flood kind of thing, its called srv thing. do you think i sound too much like him? im obviously not as good, but do i sound like a rip off?

also, i think it would be fun if everyone shares similar experiences, and maybe post a sample of you playing and let UG decide if your a ripoff?

come on guys, lets here your stories!!!!!!!!
You mean Malmsteen???

I ****ing wish!!!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
I've heard that my band sounds like we're influenced by other bands, but every person gives me a different opinion. Like how my cousin compared me to Matt Bellamy.. which I don't understand, but it's definitely a compliment I'd take any day .

But seriously though, what does UG think my band sounds like?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I might sound a bit like my influences if my rig wasn't so poor.........
Quote by St.Loony
I went doctors to see if I had AIDs. Apparently all I have is this thing called hiv... So nothing to worry about
Quote by stradivari310
I've heard that my band sounds like we're influenced by other bands, but every person gives me a different opinion. Like how my cousin compared me to Matt Bellamy.. which I don't understand, but it's definitely a compliment I'd take any day .

A mix of Audioslave and Maroon 5.
Quote by stradivari310

you definetaly sound pretty original to me, but then again i dont listen to that kind of music ever.
pretty cool. i like the singer alot. thats actually pretty sweet.
Thank **** no. I don't wish to sound like anybody else and if I did I'd consider myself a failure as a player, no matter who I sound like.
I'm told that my vibrato sounds alot like Adrian Smith's, he is one of my biggest influences. Need to make it sound original before its irreversible...
I love how I hijacked this thread to promote my band.

But more on topic, my amp is too crappy to sound like any of my influences, at least in my opinion. Right now I'm just acting like I want it to sound that way

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
I love how I hijacked this thread to promote my band.

But more on topic, my amp is too crappy to sound like any of my influences, at least in my opinion. Right now I'm just acting like I want it to sound that way

haha, well to make it up to me you should tell me if i sound too much like SRV.
i sound like a drunken version, i mean that by, the basic structure and note choices are similar, but nowhere near as defined or fluid.
Quote by chea_man
haha, well to make it up to me you should tell me if i sound too much like SRV.

You do, but in a good way. I like SRV, so I like your song because it's reminiscent of him with out copying. You take the aspects of his style that are more on the unique side but you aren't imitating him.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i sound like a burnt-out version of my former self.
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
I just wish people could confuse me with Satch!
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
I am basically a sloppy 60's Clapton without imagination....most of my improv revolves around this almighty lick

e|-------------------------------------------------------|
    B|---------------12--12------------------12---12---------|
    G|---12b14---------------------12b14---------------------|
    D|-------------------------------------------------------|
    A|-------------------------------------------------------|
    E|-------------------------------------------------------|

and

e|-------------------10--------------------------------------------|
    B|---13p10---13--------13p10-------10------------------------------|
    G|-----------------------------------12--------12p10---------------|
    D|----------------------------------------------------------12~----|
    A|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
    E|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

pentatonics are my bestest friend
Last edited by ECwomantoneman at Mar 7, 2008,
Currently I CAN'T sound like my influences... One because they're all like, gods (I think I've been playing like 8 months, so I'm no Steve Vai, although I've been told I'm incredibly fast/accurate for someone who's been playing less than a year with no professional lessons) and two, well... Look at my sig... B.C. Rich amp... That pretty much rapes every good sound that goes through my guitar/pedal...
I kind of play in a Pete Townshend-ish style. Maybe distinguishable if you really listen and think about it, but I sound enough like myself that it's not a problem.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I can get a fairly convincing Devin Townsend thing going on.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Hendrix style double stops, slides, chords and techniques are quite easy and fun. But it doesn't sound like Hendrix without the fuzz and the soul so none cares.
I don't even shred
Ummmm.....I can't compare myself to my favorite influence, because I've never had a favorite player. I listen to a wide variety of players and get my ideas from there. I try to be original in my own kind of way.
Yeah, people tell me I sound like John Petrucci all the time. But in all honesty, I kind of blend styles, so not even I know what I sound like anymore...
Be cool.
Quote by Rezamm
I might sound a bit like my influences if my rig wasn't so poor.........

+1

Although my playing style usually never changes, I usually end up playing a couple blues licks in church even
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
im shocked no one has mentioned that they will never be as the hero, Dime.
it seems the most copied players are dime, srv, hendrix, page, clapton. who else?
If you live in Japan then its Yngwie

No one has more clones then him all over the world
^thats scary. at least when people try to copy curt cobain they dont have to be a great player to pull it off, but it must be awful to hear a bad player try and play that.

by the way, sandusky is a great town. I live in Canton now.
People have said I sound like John Petrucci when I'm at K&S (the equivalent of GC here). I was like "whoooa" because well, I only did a basic Amin sweep pattern and then some pointless wankery and then did some divebombs (I love messing with guitars that are not mine hehe). So, me =/= JP.
I consider my playing style to be remiscent of (but not entirely like) Stevie Ray Vaughan, Peter Lindgren, James Murphy, and some Dave Murray when I feel pumped.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I tend to sound way too much like myself. And I'm definitely my biggest influence.

*sigh* ohh the woes of being a me rip-off.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
You should never be able to tell what someone's influences are in their music, otherwise they're not being influenced, they're just copying.
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
Quote by twocenttip
You should never be able to tell what someone's influences are in their music, otherwise they're not being influenced, they're just copying.

well im gonna disagree with that a little bit. i mean, i can hear influences in alot of peoples playing, when there not ripping anyone off. theres alot of t bone walker influence in BB King, but no one would say he ripped him off.
every thing i play sounds like folk guitar. DAMN YOU FOLK METAL.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by crazynickman
I kind of play in a Pete Townshend-ish style. Maybe distinguishable if you really listen and think about it, but I sound enough like myself that it's not a problem.

maybe its just because im not realy a who fan so i dont listen to that much of there catalogue, but does he really have that distinguishable style?
Quote by chea_man
maybe its just because im not realy a who fan so i dont listen to that much of there catalogue, but does he really have that distinguishable style?

He does if you know his playing. He has a bit of a flamenco strumming pattern, and his soloing is pretty rhythm-ish. It's hard to explain but I can detect some of his styles in my own playing. Watch a video of the Who from like 1969-late 70s if you want a good example.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
No, because I have multiple favorites. My style is a cross between John Petrucci, Steve Morse, Frank Vignola, and Andreas Oberg.
Dickless.
Page 1 of 2