go down to radio shack (or maybe its called the source) and get yourself a pen type soldering iron rated at about 45 watts..

i have a gun type with a nice light on it, and i can switch between 100 and 150 i think.. but its a bit too hot at times, and the size can make it hard if i'm trying to solder something in a small space.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
great, thanks for the advice, you 3.

gonna check out radio shack and if not, order the one from guitar fetish.

Quote by dpv
I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

can someone please recommend a very good soldering iron?

I bought one at Target for like $20.00 and it was horrible.

it was :http://www.target.com/Cold-Heat-Soldering-Tool/dp/B000RWCRAM/sr=1-1/qid=1204934966/ref=sr_1_1/601-6520226-0411316?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Asoldering&page=1

thanks, folks.

That's because you bought a fancy one. A normal 25w Weller will be good for most things.
I was on an electronics forum a couple years ago and when asking about irons they said to just make sure I didn't get the Cold Heat irons.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by mr_hankey
That's because you bought a fancy one. A normal 25w Weller will be good for most things.

I have a 25 watt Weller. My previous one was 30 years old before the tip totally came apart, the and screw stripped trying to get it out. I figured "screw it" as they most likely weren't going to have the same kind of tip anymore. Weller makes the best stuff; the 25 watters are short barrel too making them good for PCB work and working in cramped control cavities. The only I have is the tips sometimes come loose as now they are all screw in, so just make sure it's tight before using it.
I've owned two radioshack soldering guns and they lasted 3 days tops the tips just suck on them for some reason. Just brung one back tonight actually. Best iron i have ever purchased funny enough is the cheapo $5 dollar special at walmart in the car electronics section. I've been using it for 3 years now and on the same tip, the thing is insane. Was looking for something with a lower voltage but screw it. I gave up on the soldering iron search and im just going to buy these from now on and get a universal base...
Quote by elchico04
I was on an electronics forum a couple years ago and when asking about irons they said to just make sure I didn't get the Cold Heat irons.

Yeah, because the Cold Heat works by running high voltage between the tips. Not a good thing when you're soldering MOSFETs, for example.

Quote by CJRocker
I have a 25 watt Weller. My previous one was 30 years old before the tip totally came apart, the and screw stripped trying to get it out. I figured "screw it" as they most likely weren't going to have the same kind of tip anymore. Weller makes the best stuff; the 25 watters are short barrel too making them good for PCB work and working in cramped control cavities. The only I have is the tips sometimes come loose as now they are all screw in, so just make sure it's tight before using it.

I just tighten the tip with pliers when I feel that it's loose, which is usually when it's hot. I've actually had one break down on me (the heating element inside it crapped out, couldn't repair it). It was under warranty, so I was back to burning my fingers within days. Other than that incident, I have nothing negative to say about them.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 9, 2008,
Dude, go down to Pace Electronics, and buy the $400 soldering station. I am in the electronics program at Del Mar (local community college). The soldering stations we use have the regular general purpose soldering, a Pik and Paste channel, a De-soldering/Vacuum channel, and everything is foot pedal operated. It's sssooooo nice. Of course if you can afford $400.

But if you get that one, you won't need any other soldering iron, ever. I'm not sure what model it is, but it is made by Pace Electronics.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
The little Antex ones are very nice too. My school has a bunch of the Silicon-cord 18w Antexes, which remain on for about 2-3 hours a day each at least, they've been going strong on original tips for 2 years now.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
still not as good as Pace...HAHA!!
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.