So I was listening to Critical Acclaim by A7X, and I started thinking about the whole song being a "Go America" thing. I like the sound, but the lyrics kinda ruined it for me. It may be because I'm an anti-war, non-patriot kinda guy, because RATM doesn't bother me, but making a support the war, support voting, support patriotism thing really pissed me off.

So pro-politics songs really piss me off.

Then there are religious songs. EVERY religiously themed song, I will refuse to enjoy. I'm Christian, but I CANNOT STAND people who push religion on others. Believe what you want, but for fcuks sake keep it to yourself.

Pretty much, what are your opinions on it?
Pretty much what you said. Positive songs = bad.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
yeah! stick it to the man!
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by saosin22533
yeah! stick it to the man!

Was that supposed to be an insult at me?

I'm simply stating that I don't enjoy bands portraying a pro-war song. War is terrible, I don't get it.
Actually I really just don't like the cheesy lyrics.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
im against the war too
but if bands want to sing about they can
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by TwilightX
So I was listening to Critical Acclaim by A7X, and I started thinking about the whole song being a "Go America" thing. I like the sound, but the lyrics kinda ruined it for me. It may be because I'm an anti-war, non-patriot kinda guy, because RATM doesn't bother me, but making a support the war, support voting, support patriotism thing really pissed me off.

Then there are religious songs. EVERY religiously themed song, I will refuse to enjoy. I'm Christian, but I CANNOT STAND people who push religion on others. Believe what you want, but for fcuks sake keep it to yourself.

I enjoy it when bands actually have something to say, be it policical or religious.
Those same RATM lyrics that "don't bother" you could seriously offend someone else.

btw i like "critical acclaim" i think it actually does make a good point, and this is coming from another anti-war, anti-patriot.

I just like to look at things from multiple perspectives...
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

I probably wouldn't do it myself, as I have no strong opinions on politics or religion....but music's all about expressing yourself, so if that's what they want to sing about, then so be it.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
My opinion:
I think it's important that artists are able to use music as a stage for putting across their own opinions. After all, music is about expressing yourself and putting real emotion and passion into it. Just like an artist would put all their emotion into a love song, i feel that the same technique has to be carried through to show how they feel about what's going on in the world.
I understand where you're coming from, artists shouldn't totally shove their beliefs down your throat, but at the end of the day, if you don't wanna hear it, don't listen.
Quote by TwilightX
Believe what you want, but for fcuks sake keep it to yourself.

I do tend to agree. If the band originally sets out as a political or religious band then I don't have many objections, but when people start using their fame to pedal things I begin to get annoyed with them.

Patriotic songs annoy me the most. There isn't ever anything new said in them and actually, when you compare them to other nations they always look rather pathetic. But also because patriotism is one of the most annoying things in the world.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Ok heres my opinion without the incorporation of politics and religion music WOULD NOT be as big as it is. For example in politics without it do you really think bands like Rage against the machine or system of a down would not have gotten as big.And in religion bands like slayer and dieicide would be nothing. I generally think that with it music=awesome without it music=suck
Every time an emo kid cuts them self a viking comes down from the pagan land and dismembers him
Quote by TwilightX

i think people should write about something they are passionate about. what people SHOULDNT do, is try to write about something like religion or politics because others are doing it. the problem is when you get people who dont know what the **** they're on about, or dont have enough passion about said subject, and just want to whine and bitch and jump on bandwagons like the anti-american one, etc.

thats why RATM works, and bands like A7X sound like ****tards when they do it.
Quote by SOADwannabe

Those same RATM lyrics that "don't bother" you could seriously offend someone else.

Yes, but I think why I like RATM as opposed to the pro-war songs is because, well, War isn't good. I'm not gonna say "Fcuk the Troops" because yes, they are risking their lives. However, and I'm not gonna say "Support the Troops" because that inadvertently supports the war.

I just don't like war is all. Still like some A7X stuff : /
I'm annoyed by both ends of the spectrum. I hate the "I'm a patriot" shtick shoved on by modern country, and I hate the "**** Bush, **** War, **** the Government" shtick shoved on by RATM. I believe political messages should be added into songs deftly, not forced.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by BuddhaDX
Ok heres my opinion without the incorporation of politics and religion music WOULD NOT be as big as it is. For example in politics without it do you really think bands like Rage against the machine or system of a down would not have gotten as big.And in religion bands like slayer and dieicide would be nothing. I generally think that with it music=awesome without it music=suck

How do you explain the masses that don't incorporate politics or religion into their music? Red Hot Chili Peppers immediately come to mind, can't think of any songs off the top of my head that are meant as political or religious propaganda yet they're arguably the biggest band on the planet.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Depends on the political and religious views expressed in the song. I enjoy bands like Gang of Four, Dead Kennedys, and Crass.
Well the proof is in the pudding as they say. System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine they both sing about Politics and religion, but its their life! They base their lives around protesting and encouraging those to fight against the masses and the war seekers. Obviously with no-violent methods!
So if Critical Acclaim really does display a side to the singer then thats fine. But if he is just writting about it to satisfy people, or to use some sought of shock factor, then it sucks!
Lyrics are about telling people about yourself and how YOU feel yourself. So if you say you hate hearing people sing about their religion and their beliefs, then, well thats your opinion, of course. But its not allowing other reaches to effect you in the lyrical "industry".
Quote by Andrewbiles
How do you explain the masses that don't incorporate politics or religion into their music? Red Hot Chili Peppers immediately come to mind, can't think of any songs off the top of my head that are meant as political or religious propaganda yet they're arguably the biggest band on the planet.

alrighty ive listened to my library of chili peppers (which really aint that big because common if i mention slayer and deicied im not really a listener of the peppers but i still found traces of anti politics in their music plus since were on this topic what do you guys think drugs have in their role in music my personal opinion is that its on the same level as politics and religion.
Every time an emo kid cuts them self a viking comes down from the pagan land and dismembers him
Quote by Andrewbiles

Power of Equality.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Ok, yeah there are a couple, but the point I was trying to make is that they didn't build the band with a political or religious agenda.

RateYourMusic