For my senior project next year i'm gonna build a bass guitar, I just need to find a wood that won't be too expensive. I wanted some mahogany or something nice like that, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? This is my first build btw.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
What kind of sound are you looking for?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
What kind of sound are you looking for?

Well, I really love Flea's sound. I just play guitar. I don't have a bass, this is why I'm building one. I just want a nice sound from a wood that won't cost me a lot.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Alder i think would work well. Its not too expensive i dont think, and gives a good punch. Its used on Fender P and J basses. Maybe Basswood as well. Flea uses alot of expensive gear to get his awesome sound, its much more than just wood.
Quote by qotsa1998
Alder i think would work well. Its not too expensive i dont think, and gives a good punch. Its used on Fender P and J basses. Maybe Basswood as well. Flea uses alot of expensive gear to get his awesome sound, its much more than just wood.

Alder doesn't sound like a bad idea. Basswood would be way to light.

Quote by Ippon
Or go old school and go with Ash. Make it stringthrough.

I was thinking about ash too. My electric is made out of ash..... i think... It sounds pretty nice.

I'd say alder or ash, with a bolt on maple neck, and probably a rosewood fingerboard if you can afford it. (almost an exact j-bass, or whatever flea uses)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ippon

Go wild with the paint job.

Wow. that thing is sick. I'm definitely gonna give it a sick paint job. I'll have my art teacher help me make it psychedelic.

Quote by Ippon

Go wild with the paint job.

ahaha you're just nutty about that paintjob, aren't yah?!

Alder's a good choice

Quote by oneblackened
I'd say alder or ash, with a bolt on maple neck, and probably a rosewood fingerboard if you can afford it. (almost an exact j-bass, or whatever flea uses)

flea plays a musicman, not a P / J - bass as far as I've seen...
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
ahaha you're just nutty about that paintjob, aren't yah?!

Alder's a good choice

flea plays a musicman, not a P / J - bass as far as I've seen...

Yeah, he plays a musicman, but he's got some fenders, and others.

I don't much care for mahogany in a bass and I think basswood sounds down right horrible. Neither of those will get you anything close to Flea's tone. Look into alder, ash, lacewood, poplar, and maple. My top choice would be poplar because of those woods it's got the most cutting high end and biggest bass with the most sustain. It's cheap and ugly, but it's a kickass tonewood. I wish it were easier to get here in the UK.
Not taking any online orders.
Well, the Modulus bass Flea used was made from Alder, Stingrays are made from Alder as well I think.

In SA he used a Fender Jazz. For BSSM he used a Wal, and their sound depends a hell of a lot on their custom electronics. He used an Alembic Epic for OHM, can't remember what they're made out of atm.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.