I have a pretty crappy Squier Strat (indonesia 2003), but I like it. I want to put a new pickup in. I want something that is pretty quiet, versatile, with sustain. It doesn't really need to be hot. I'm thinking about swapping out the middle pickup, is that a good idea? Also how much sound from the other pickups will leak in?

Any recommendations?
Quote by rollydog
I have a pretty crappy Squier Strat (indonesia 2003), but I like it. I want to put a new pickup in. I want something that is pretty quiet, versatile, with sustain. It doesn't really need to be hot. I'm thinking about swapping out the middle pickup, is that a good idea? Also how much sound from the other pickups will leak in?

Any recommendations?

Get a fender standard....trust me, It's alot better.

Which pickup are you getting? A whole set or just the middle?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Some Seyour Duncans will make that guitar 100x better!

I will have to leave it up to someone else to give you exact names, i'm not too good at that!
Derp.
I would get a whole set of Fender SCN pickups. Even tho they are expensive, if you want noiseless Strat tone, id say there gonna get the job done well.
I don't have enough money to buy an entire set and swap it in.

That's at least 125 for installation alone. I usually just use the middle anyway. Do the others affect the sound that much?
Well, the bridge doesn't really have enough definition (at least on my guitar) and the neck has too much treble. I'm sorry if not communicating properly, I'm really quite ignorant about electric guitars. I'm using it primarily for personal recordings and I don't want it to be loud (since I'm in an apartment building).
If you are hurting for cash, check out GFS pickups, very cheap and they sound preety nice.
Seymour Duncan Hotrails are cool.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Someone else already said it, but I would get the Fender SCN. I put them in my strat, and wow what a difference. I could never use just my bridge or just my neck, I would always have to mix them with the middle to keep the noise down. These fixed that and gave my neck a smooth buttery tone, nice bridge pickup for high gain and harmonics and the middle was real good for cleans. They are worth it, even if they do cost more then the guitar.
Quote by rollydog
Well, the bridge doesn't really have enough definition (at least on my guitar) and the neck has too much treble. I'm sorry if not communicating properly, I'm really quite ignorant about electric guitars. I'm using it primarily for personal recordings and I don't want it to be loud (since I'm in an apartment building).

Why not get a hotter bridge pickup and an Alnico 2 neck pickup instead?

The hotter bridge (hotter = more output) will fatten up and darken the bridge some. The Alnico 2 magnet in the neck will smoothen out the treble a bit.
I would reccomend just getting a new guitar, perhaps a fender mexican. Fender squires are of a very cheap build quality and not worth bothering upgrading, you will eventually need a new guitar as your skills improve.
^no. Squiers can be decent if you replace the electronics. Besides, They're possibly the most used guitar for modding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.