Page 1 of 4
My music teacher brought up a good point the other day. When you study music history you study the diffrent eras, such as the classical era, romantic era, and the jazz era. In 100's of years what do you think todays era will be called? With all the different genres of music today, which one will people remember?
The Hip-Hop Era.

Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
the age of money hungry sons of bitches who have no musical ability and yet sell records to 13 year old girls to have the ILLUSION of success. ya.....hopefully next era will be better.
Quote by severed head
the age of phail.

How about the age of stupid memes recycled from stupid image-board websites.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
This thread is pretty bad. Please tell me how bands like:

Grizzly Bear
Animal Collective
Sleater-Kinney
Spoon
Broken Social scene
Stars
Wolf Parade

etc.

are inferior to music from other generations.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by IlikeTheSKA
How about the age of stupid memes recycled from stupid image-board websites.

I like it. We should use that title.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Techno era? Not in reference to the genre, but in reference to how nowadays is when technology is really taking off. I mean twenty years ago almost no one had a computer, and now you plug a laptop in a coffee shop.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
This thread is pretty bad. Please tell me how bands like:

Grizzly Bear
Animal Collective
Sleater-Kinney
Spoon
Broken Social scene
Stars
Wolf Parade

etc.

are inferior to music from other generations.

The only one of those I've heard is the Animal Collective, and they're ****ing horrible.
Not a patch on Beethoven or Mozart.

And like I said, this era has already been dubbed as Popular Music.
I think that since a certain point in the past, everything - in all fields - has been lumped together as "the Modern Era." In the case of music, I think the modern era begins around Elvis.
Quote by FireTag
era vulgaris?

Ya, coincidently I'm Designer is now one of my favorite QOTSA songs.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
yeah probably the era the industry collapsed really. the mp3 era? the internet download era? something like that
Quote by Steve The Plank
The only one of those I've heard is the Animal Collective, and they're ****ing horrible.
Not a patch on Beethoven or Mozart.

Well, considering Beethoven and Mozart are one artist/composer representing their respective eras I hardly see how you can draw a comparison. Was their no bad classical music from those time periods? Do we even have the historical resources to answer that question? Unlikely. And Animal Collective are far from horrible. Hit and Miss, yes. Their hits are probably the best of the decade though, although I probably wouldn't be able to convince you on that point. Either way, considering some of the bands I listed are representative of the bands who may stand the test of time from our era I think they should be acknowledged before said era is dismissed.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

the Regaeton era
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
you could call it the homemade era. B/c so much music is either donw with computers as the instrument, or recorded at home. Which has definately opened it up for alot of ppl, but also has let anybody with a keyboard become famous. And some of em actually have. Or, you could call it the simpleton's era, b/c so much music has been robbed of its complexity. If you look at classic jazz, classical orchestral, or even classic rock, it was at many times very well-constructed and complicated. But now, things have been sooo stripped-down, all you really need to be called "good" is the ability to speak.
This is the dawning of a new era!
This is so boring, it's a new era!

Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by qotsa1998
you could call it the homemade era. B/c so much music is either donw with computers as the instrument, or recorded at home. Which has definately opened it up for alot of ppl, but also has let anybody with a keyboard become famous. And some of em actually have. Or, you could call it the simpleton's era, b/c so much music has been robbed of its complexity. If you look at classic jazz, classical orchestral, or even classic rock, it was at many times very well-constructed and complicated. But now, things have been sooo stripped-down, all you really need to be called "good" is the ability to speak.

Are you aware you have Queens of the Stone Age in your sig. Contradicting yourself =

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

The Pete Wentz Era, although the Digital Era is more likely.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by Steve The Plank

And like I said, this era has already been dubbed as Popular Music.

Stop saying tht!

Popular Music refers to the fact its is the mainstream and what is popular today

In the future popular music will be what they call their own preferences hence the need for this thread!
I've been here since '04.

The Age of Variety?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Well, considering Beethoven and Mozart are one artist/composer representing their respective eras I hardly see how you can draw a comparison. Was their no bad classical music from those time periods? Do we even have the historical resources to answer that question? Unlikely. And Animal Collective are far from horrible. Hit and Miss, yes. Their hits are probably the best of the decade though, although I probably wouldn't be able to convince you on that point. Either way, considering some of the bands I listed are representative of the bands who may stand the test of time from our era I think they should be acknowledged before said era is dismissed.

My point being that those bands may stand the test of time to you, but not to others.

Bands/artists that will be the most referenced from this area are most likely off the top of my head, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Madonna etc. They will all stand the test of time for this era for their influences on the mainstream and overall popularity.
This era is the best era of music. If you disagree then why are you even on this website at all?

And why do people think past eras are only comprised of classical music?
And why do people think there is no significant classical music in this era? I'm willing to bet that more classical music has been composed in the last 80 years, than there was in 300+ years before that.
Film and television have led to that; everything as a soundtrack, plus the fact that there are simply billions more people to compose the music.
Also, the classical music of our day is hardly any worse than it used to be. Hans Zimmer (The Thin Red Line/Pearl Harbour soundtracks etc.) creates some awesome music that I'd much rather listen to over Mozart and Beethoven (not that they aren't good too).

/rant
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Last edited by mattyp90 at Mar 7, 2008,
The Everything Era? Seriously, there's a lot of variety out there today. I don't really listen to any of it though.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by mattyp90

They dont you failface. There is only one era of classical music.

Unless youre closed minded and think Baroque, romantic etc count as classical. In which case you fail.

Also this is only western music...
I've been here since '04.

Quote by mattyp90
This era is the best era of music. If you disagree then why are you even on this website at all?

And why do people think there is no significant classical music in this era? I'm willing to bet that more classical music has been composed in the last 80 years, than there was in 300+ years before that.
Film and television have led to that; everything as a soundtrack, plus the fact that there are simply billions more people to compose the music.
Also, the classical music of our day is hardly any worse than it used to be. Hans Zimmer (The Thin Red Line/Pearl Harbour soundtracks etc.) creates some awesome music that I'd much rather listen to over Mozart and Beethoven (not that theyaren't good too).

/rant
I Hans Zimmer.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
the age of money hungry sons of bitches who have no musical ability and yet sell records to 13 year old girls to have the ILLUSION of success. ya.....hopefully next era will be better.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote by Crashton
um. read the rest of my post there smart guy.

I actually quoted it before you edited it foo'.

And how has the Environmental movement got anything to do with music?

Read the OP smart guy.

Quote by Ace5885
My music teacher brought up a good point the other day. When you study music history you study the diffrent eras, such as the classical era, romantic era, and the jazz era. In 100's of years what do you think todays era will be called? With all the different genres of music today, which one will people remember?

Quote by Steve The Plank
It's called Popular Music.

Yeah because music used to not be popular
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
Yeah because music used to not be popular

Quote by NFFC_1865
Stop saying tht!

Popular Music refers to the fact its is the mainstream and what is popular today

In the future popular music will be what they call their own preferences hence the need for this thread!

*sigh*

That's the logical way of thinking, but alas, you are wrong.

Popular Music takes its' name from the 'Popular' form in songwriting specific to the last 50 years or whatever of being commonly comprised of verse, chorus and bridge sections. No other era has ever been christened as being Popular in its time according to the ancient music books I've read, and I tend to trust them more than I trust random Pit-goers.
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
the age of money hungry sons of bitches who have no musical ability and yet sell records to 13 year old girls to have the ILLUSION of success.

the very definition of the jonas brothers/hanna montana/naked brothers band
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Page 1 of 4