You may have heard this before, but in case you haven't, here is a logic puzzle. I wasn't able to solve this, but my brother was. I know the answer, now:

Person x and y have the following conversation:

x: I forgot how old your three kids are.
y: The product of their ages is 36.
x: I still don't know their ages.
y: The sum of their ages is the same as your house number.
x: I still don't know their ages.
y: The oldest one has red hair.
x: Now I know their ages!

How old are they?

Try not to cheat and google the answer.

The answer is not some dumb obvious answer. It is possible to find all 3 ages from the information above.
I have no clue.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Well, person y knows their ages because he knows his own house number. Since we don't know person y's house number, we have insufficient information.
Here's the answer. I'll space incase you don't want to read:

Steve The Plank was right. It's 2, 2 and 9. Here's why (copied and pasted from somewhere else because I'm lazy):

Like all numbers, 36 can be broken down into primes in only one way: 36 = 2*2*3*3

From this breakdown we can discover the eight possible configurations of the children's ages:

If we look at the sums of the different configurations, we will find:

1+1+36=38
1+2+18=21
1+3+12=16
1+4+9=14
1+6+6=13
2+2+9=13
2+3+6=11
3+3+4=10

Since we know that person y couldn't tell what the children's ages were from the second hint (and since person y no doubt knows his own house number) we can conclude that only two configurations are possible - 1,6,6 and 2,2,9.

From the third clue, we know that there is an oldest child, so the configuration 1,6,6 is impossible.

Therefore, the children's ages are 2, 2 and 9.
Quote by Steve The Plank

i believe steve the plank has it. idk tho...

EDIT:i knew it!
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
Quote by Malakian88
Well, person y knows their ages because he knows his own house number. Since we don't know person y's house number, we have insufficient information.
You have to read the wording of his statements. Which is why it's called a logic puzzle. I first read this in a book given to me about propositional and systematic logic.

It is possible to figure out.
Well his house number is the same as the total of his kids ages'...
Derp.
Yeah, I thought of either 2 2 9 or 2 3 6

I still don't get the house number clue though. I'm kinda high, so my head isn't thinking in a logical perspective at the moment lol.
Quote by The Madcap
Here's the answer. I'll space incase you don't want to read:

Steve The Plank was right. It's 2, 2 and 9. Here's why (copied and pasted from somewhere else because I'm lazy):

Like all numbers, 36 can be broken down into primes in only one way: 36 = 2*2*3*3

From this breakdown we can discover the eight possible configurations of the children's ages:

If we look at the sums of the different configurations, we will find:

1+1+36=38
1+2+18=21
1+3+12=16
1+4+9=14
1+6+6=13
2+2+9=13
2+3+6=11
3+3+4=10

Since we know that person y couldn't tell what the children's ages were from the second hint (and since person y no doubt knows his own house number) we can conclude that only two configurations are possible - 1,6,6 and 2,2,9.

From the third clue, we know that there is an oldest child, so the configuration 1,6,6 is impossible.

Therefore, the children's ages are 2, 2 and 9.

Holy crap. That's amazing.
Quote by Archaon
Yeah, I thought of either 2 2 9 or 2 3 6

I still don't get the house number clue though. I'm kinda high, so my head isn't thinking in a logical perspective at the moment lol.

There are two that add up to 13. Had all the sums been unique, x would have been able to solve it at the second clue. But, since he couldn't, then his house number must be 13.

Then you go thru all that stuff about the oldest son...yadda yadda yadda.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Mar 7, 2008,
Nevermind! I posted some bull.

I'm no good at maths!
Derp.