hey this is my first post on the forum and i hope i can start a good conversation (however i have a bad feeling it might start a flame war)

anyway i just want to say that there are two things that i do not think are good at all when playing the good old git.

1- power chords- ok they may sound good but ONLY in moderation. my friend who has JUST started guitar can play practically every fall out boy song (not that he would) considering how bloody basic they are. u can chuck them into a song but making every song on an album be composed of power chords for the main riff... you must be kidding

2- shredding (please dont flame for this lol)- yeah i know shredding may be hard, but i think the definition of skilful playing has changed over the years. if we go back in time anywhere from 10 years all the way back to lets say mozart or beethoven, we can see that music is all about melody.
skilful guitarists these days are considered mostly as shredders (from what i can observe). but if we go back to hendrix, we can see that his skill was about ravaging the neck of the guitar by improvising the crap out of it and throwing in 200 hammers and bends that you can barely even hear. yeah i know it may be unfair to compare to hendrix (since he is the best) but the fact is that modern guitarists aren't really doing anything melodically or with complexity.

discuss!!!
You are right about the shredding. Like everything, its good in context and in moderation. But I dont mind power chords, as its just another way to play barre chords or open chords with distortion, and its easier to put vocals to.

EDIT: What im saying i mean mainly about metal players, Jazz players, like Al DiMeola and Pat Metheney, can do both shredding and melodic jazzy stuff, as well as complex progressive stuff. Both of those, alog with several other amazing guitarists, are much better than guitar players like Synyster Gates.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Mar 7, 2008,
jeff loomis > hendrix
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by CHamboga

2- shredding (please dont flame for this lol)- yeah i know shredding may be hard, but i think the definition of skilful playing has changed over the years. if we go back in time anywhere from 10 years all the way back to lets say mozart or beethoven, we can see that music is all about melody.
but the fact is that modern guitarists aren't really doing anything melodically or with complexity.

discuss!!!

Isn't that the truth! There's being technically proficient, and there's expressing yourself through the medium of music. Unfortunately some people get too bogged down in the technique without exploring the musical side of things. I guess what I'm saying is that taste the is the key thing.
power chords just sound good
and isn't that what music is about?
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by saosin22533
power chords just sound good
and isn't that what music is about?

Music is all about power-chords? Did you really just say that?

I don't mind them, if they're used in a non-repetitive way. I also prefer melodic shredding to just mindless 347347nps picking.

John Petrucci ftw.
no i said music is about sounding good
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Hendrix was a great influential force, but as a guitarist, he was alright. Personally, I get tired of people calling him the greatest guitarist. I don't have a problem when they say he was probably one of the most influential guitarist, but he is definitely not the greatest guitarist.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Quote by RedDeath9

I don't mind them, if they're used in a non-repetitive way. I also prefer melodic shredding to just mindless 347347nps picking.

John Petrucci ftw.

Nothin wrong with shredding here and there.
also you can only have so much melody before it gets gay
Power chords are pretty alright.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by MorbidVirus
you can only have so much melody before it gets gay

*headdesk*
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by MorbidVirus

Words cannot express how much of an idiotic, closed-minded, imbecilic...

Oh why bother.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I quite like power chords myself.....when writing a song, I usually have the rythym part being power chords while the lead part plays something a little more complex. Seems to work nicely.

Shredding, however....not so much.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
Quote by MorbidVirus

lol... just lol.
Quote by MorbidVirus

lololol
Quote by zepzepzep86
jimmy page>jeff loomis>jimi hendrix\

ooo and i agree with the rest of the stuff u said

What the hell.

Taking into account that Jimi Hendrix > Jimmy Page, then logically Loomis trumps them both.

And he does.

Seriously.

BTW:

I love shredding. I hate when people argue that it sucks, because when it comes down to it, shredding is just the same music really, really fast.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Power chord songs were cool when punk ruled. Still, it's thirty years later- we need some innovation.

Shredding is fun to do- but to listen to? Nah, not a fan. I can't shred by the way, I just know people who can (and it's pretty much all they do... *yawn*)
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
this thread is retarded. you cant say "i hate shredding". shredding is not a technique, its a style that incorporates a whole bunch of techniques.
neither, are powerchords a technique. i agree overuse of powerchords is annoying, but so is overuse of anything.

in essence, i could agree with the threadstarter, but you are completely over-generalising and that pisses me off. if you had have restricted your point to "overuse of powerchords and mindless shredding just for the sake of it pisses me off", i would agree whole-heartedly.

your problem is unimaginative, repetitive bands, just like Fall Out Boy, and shredders who dont know how to play slowly. if you get someone who knows how to mix it up, and make their music interesting, then neither of those are problems.