ok i have a live show i have to with my band in the school auditorium in front of the entire student body next friday.

we recently just played live and realized that me (guitarist), the bassist, and the singer can all hear perfectly fine, but the drummer cant hear ANY of us. so we decided were gonna get a monitor for him.

we have a pa system that the singer sings through and plays guitar with through a pedal. its a 500w yamaha mixer with nice speakers.

only thing though is that me and the basses just turn up our own amps and balance its sound. we need to be heard through the monitor for the drummer, after all the original problem was that he couldnt hear the guitar or bass.

what should we do? mic our amps and run them through the mixer? some guy at guitar center suggested a direct box...whats that... and how exactly do we mic our amps...never done it before. do we just put a mic on the ground in front of the amp or doesit have to be a certain kind of mic?

any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks
Well my band has the same issue, our drummer can't hear any of us either. He's also in 2 other bands and can't hear them. But the way (I can only speak from what I do/know) my band works is the tempo and everything revolves around the drummer, even though he can't hear us he knows the beats to the song and the orders etc and we just play to him if you get me.
So does your drummer play around what all you guys do then? Because to be honest that would be the only real problem I can see here.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
no we play to him, its just that he sometimes gets nervous because hes new to drums but learning very fast thankfully..but we all what happens when we get nervous
Well the only thing I can think of (without buying all this fancy equipment) would be to put the amps along side the drum kit, maybe even slightly behind it (by it I mean the front btw) like along side where he sits or something. Because at gig volume if he can't hear you when the amps are by there then he probably needs a hearing aid.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
or maybe buy him a monitor and line out to it.

but that depends on the type of amps you have, your budget and so on.

^i'd rather just move the amps back a little like said, unless you're worried about being loud enough to project out to the crowd.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011