I did Drop B on my set of 9s before, so I just tried Drop A. I love the feeling of little tension on the strings, it makes bends much easier, and cleans up my playing a bit. Is there anyway to lesson the tension the strings, without having to tune down? I heard something about wrapping your strings around the bridge a different way...

I don't see how you can have less tension without lowering the pitch, as the higher the tension, the higher the pitch, right? But I'd like to know more about this thing about wrapping the strings around the bridge the opposite way.

Don't suggest playing down-tuned, because my band refuses to play tuned down, and it when I play tuned down I find myself playing too much metal stuff...

EDIT: sorry if my question isn't clear... is there a way to lessen tension without tuning down.
Last edited by AngelOfHatred at Mar 7, 2008,
the only thing i can think of that would lower the tension but keep the pitch is thinner strings.
no, just lighter strings. Thats it
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I'm already using 9s, and I don't want anything thinner, as even 9 feels too thin for me.

Does anyone know about the bridge trick thing? I think you wrap it around the stop piece the opposite way or something?
It doesn't lower the tension (my LP was strung that way) it just sounds (to some) slightly cleaner and crisper, but the tension actually increases a tiny bit. The only way to get less tension is to get thinner strings or tune way down and buy an octave pedal, but that would sound like ass, so sry.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
You could always drop tune a half step or two, then just shift your fretting hand up two frets. Not the easiest thing to do, what with open strings and all, but it could work. Or tune to Eb or D standard and just play the songs in different tunings.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Quote by Slaiv
You could always drop tune a half step or two, then just shift your fretting hand up two frets. Not the easiest thing to do, what with open strings and all, but it could work. Or tune to Eb or D standard and just play the songs in different tunings.

I was thinking about going down a full step, then just capoing, but I play lead, and would probably need to get a 24 fret guitar so I'm not missing my 21st and 22nd fret.
i'm quite surprised there was ANY string tension with 9's while tuned to B or A.

but to answer the question, get lower gauge strings, or possibly a guitar with a smaller scale.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i'm quite surprised there was ANY string tension with 9's while tuned to B or A.

I could get the low E down to about a G before it lost all tension. I found it really comfortable at A.
a 7 is a different story tho. the eadgbe strings would only be down 2 steps. 9's in d standard wouldn't be as overly floppy as a set of 9's tuned to A standard.

my 7 is in B right now with 10-13-17-26-36-46-56 gauge strings. it feels very natural
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I think my 0.59' is a little bit to flappy for B...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
drop a with 9's.... i bet it sounds sloppy like strings hitting a fretboard. Don't you want that thick tone? I find if you lower your action with heavy strings its just like using light strings. You just barely got to touch it to make the note happen.
Damn, and I thought Drop B with 11s was too floppy.. Well, capoing is the way to go I think for you. Or use banjo strings
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
if you have a Tune-O-Matic Bridge higher the stop bar on it....that helps a LITTLE bit....
UG's HIPPIE
well even if you like the floppy feeling.... the thing is the tone is going to be crap. Like I said... if you lower your action no matter what gauge string you have you barely got to push the string down to make the note. but if you dont lower your action of course heavy strings will be hard to play with and light strings will be easy. I use 10-52 and i got low action. I can't even feel them.