Page 1 of 3
So what do you guys think the most overrated guitars are? Personally I would say the Fender Stratocaster (not being bias here because I own one), Gibson Les Paul and SG, and the Ibanez RG series.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
fenders and gibsons

even tho they are good guitars

but its mostly gibson because they charge $10000000000000000000

for quality u can get from other companys at a way less price

lp's are sweet guitars tho dont get me wrong
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
fenders and gibsons

even tho they are good guitars

but its mostly gibson because they charge $10000000000000000000

for quality u can get from other companys at a way less price

lp's are sweet guitars tho dont get me wrong

True. Its nice to see that Fender at least still makes decent guitars starting $400.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Les Paul without a doubt.
The stratocaster I don't think is as overrated anymore, but some people see the Les Paul as the ultimate guitar that can do anything, and to be honest theres nothing about it that I like. (I DO like the sound, but there are guitars that have sounds I like much more)
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
schecter (not sure how you spell it) guitars, a lot of ibanez guitars, and all those other generic metal guitars with high gain pickups, and ****ty generic tone
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I have a hard time seeing how a guitar can be overrated. I mean, sure, there are a number of guitars (Strats and LPs mainly) that people who know very little will go on and on about, but if you know your stuff why would you even be listening to someone who obviously doesn't?

I mean, do I get tired of 15 year old beginners insisting that nothing is better than a Les Paul while they play random annoying notes on their Epi LP Special? Yeah. Do I also get tired of 50 year old guys saying that their vintage strat can do anything related to "real music" and all these kids with humbuckers and pointy guitars are just ignorant? Without a doubt. But I wouldn't say LPs or Strats are overrated because some of the greatest music ever was made on them and with spectacular tone.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd say a couple companies are overrated, but that's simply because they've got to the point where they charge as much for the name on the headstock as they do for the actual guitar itself.
Yeah Gibson's are super overrated. They only real angle they have is the prestiege of people like Angus Young and Slash playing them. On that note marshall amps are pretty bloody overrated. A while ago i played a gibson X-plorer through a marshall stack and i thaught it was gonna be the coolest thing ever. But i was wrong. Very wrong.
Absolutely hate fenders, they just feel terrible in my hands. I think it's something about the scale, or the fact that most of em' are really thin.

Gibson's are WAY overrated, the Epi's are more consistent. The custom shop models I love, they're all very nice, but they charge an extra testicle (I quite like both of mine...) for the "gibson" logo.

Hmmm about Jackson's, I think they are somewhat overrated, but not near as much as Fender lol

I do love deans tho only bad one I've ever played was an ML my friend had "set up", which basically meant he butchered it, he couldn't even play it. He let me have it for a weekend with a brief outline of what he wanted and now it plays like a dream lol.
Quote by psychokiller99
schecter (not sure how you spell it) guitars, a lot of ibanez guitars, and all those other generic metal guitars with high gain pickups, and ****ty generic tone

I disagree on Schecter. Thier higher end models have Seymore Duncans and sound/play amazing and pretty much all of thier stuff is still under $1,000 (wont be for long though) but each to his own I guess.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Fenders. Honesly, they all play like ****. And I get really pissed when people talk about how great strats are.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
flying V's in general

but, just about all gibson and fender
I breathe air.
BC Rich Warlock, Fender Stratocaster, all the Dimebag guitars.

The Dime guitars and the Warlock SUCK.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I'd definitely say Dean. I think Gibson's are little overrated too. All my friends who don't play guitar tell me "dude you gotta get a gibson!" I say "Why?" "Because they're the best, dude!"
I ask what kind of gibson, and they say "it doesn't matter, just get a gibson"

I love people who don't play guitar trying to talk to me about them. They always say something hilarious
Anyways I think strats are a little overrated. Teles FTW!!!
fender standard series
really for 450 i expected something really nice but i tried against VM squier and i actually chosed a VM bass over a Fender standard
and the same thing when i tried guitars
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
strats and most popular gibson models (les paul, sg, v,explorer)
they are all good guitars, but I seem to notice a lot of n00bs who think "Oh MaN, those guitars are like, the best guitars in the world!!!",
well, you know what im trying to say
Quote by litus
fender standard series
really for 450 i expected something really nice but i tried against VM squier and i actually chosed a VM bass over a Fender standard
and the same thing when i tried guitars

And this is in every one of your posts... why?
Low end B.C.R.
I own a very high end B.C. Rich, and it's a godess, but the Bronze series is what gives us Rich players a bad name...and Kerry King.
Probably the Ibanez RG too...I don't know what I was on when I bought my RG321...musta been some strong **** though.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Yeah Deans pretty overrated so are the lower end mim Fenders

Some of them are just plain baaad
Quote by slayer89
I have a hard time seeing how a guitar can be overrated. I mean, sure, there are a number of guitars (Strats and LPs mainly) that people who know very little will go on and on about, but if you know your stuff why would you even be listening to someone who obviously doesn't?

I mean, do I get tired of 15 year old beginners insisting that nothing is better than a Les Paul while they play random annoying notes on their Epi LP Special? Yeah. Do I also get tired of 50 year old guys saying that their vintage strat can do anything related to "real music" and all these kids with humbuckers and pointy guitars are just ignorant? Without a doubt. But I wouldn't say LPs or Strats are overrated because some of the greatest music ever was made on them and with spectacular tone.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd say a couple companies are overrated, but that's simply because they've got to the point where they charge as much for the name on the headstock as they do for the actual guitar itself.

+5 you sir have just read my mind!
I like Deans a lot. I just don't like how they slap Dime's name on them. I mean come on hes not your reason for the company. You've got a much better player anyway named Dave Mustaine. I own an ML. Thank god it doesn't say Dime on it . I don't hate Dime but I mean hes not a god. I also do enjoy the razorback.

GIBSONS+FENDERS extremely overrated. Also Marshalls are lame. I plugged into one and I was extremely dissapointed. Mesa Boogies > Marshalls.
its been said, Fender and Gibson. mostly the SG and the Strat.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
LP's FTL! I also had a 30 minute argument with someone that didn't even play today that kept saying BUY a razorback! Dime's the best! So yeah, Deans and Gibsons FTL.
ESP

Respect Roope Latvala.
Gibson & Fender because like every classic rock fan plays the shyt out of these guitars only.They don't like to explore any others because everything is "A SG or a LP!"
Sometimes I want to deck my science teacher beacause all he says is Gibson Gibson Fender Fender. Hes like oh Deans a rip off. Esp's a rip off and so is Jackson. GOD! He said he didn't like the idea of the Les Paul having holes but hes going to buy one.
mainly fender, gibson's pretty damn overrated too.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Schecters are most definitely NOT overrated in my opinion. I am saying that within the context of the price. You going to compare a 1500 Les Paul to a 700 Schecter? Half the price = half the value? I don't think so. Schecters are one of the best bangs for the buck out there right now.

As for Fenders: I have a Fender Strat plus that is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Had it since 98 but usually play my Les Paul Standard. The LP sounds great too. All of these guitars are good. You must analyze within the context of price points though, or it is hard to justify a position.
gibsons and fender are overated
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore