Is playing guitar easy? Is there no challenge anymore? I know that there is always more to learn, but does the guitar still challenge Steve Vai, John Petrucci etc.
Be cool.
I'm sure they still find ways to challenge themselves. My old guitar teacher was easily one of the best guitar players I've ever heard. As far as technique and knowledge is concerned he's at the level of guys you mentioned. But as you said, there's always new stuff to learn. So many cultures have so many different varieties of music. I'd say it's damn near impossible to master them all in a lifetime.
there are so many styles that being a virtuoso at all of them is near impossible, and even if it was possible, then you can create completely new styles and new ways to play the guitar, so no, there is always a challenge for a virtuoso
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
i would say once you are a virtuoso you stop playing the guitar with your fingers and start playing it with your mind
Quote by trashbeast
i would say once you are a virtuoso you stop playing the guitar with your fingers and start playing it with your mind

+1

I tried this, and I can play Dragonforce by just looking at the guitar.
1: Dragonforce sucks.

2: No, you never become God on guitar. I've been playing for about 10 years now, I'm no Steve Vai or Joe Satriani but I can f***ing shred. Not bragging, it happens when you spend that much time practicing one thing and not having a girlfriend.
wait... maybe THAT'S what you do when you can't get any better... women...?
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
I think they challenge themselves. Probably not with technique as much but finding new ways to play things.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Well to master an instrument you would have to be able to do anything that comes to your mind. You have to have a strong ear + extremely well techniques + vast amount of knowledge in theory. That's what mastering an instrument is for me. Steve, Joe petrucci, all those guys are amazing, skillwise or technique wise. But they are still learning something. Their brains are still learning certain movements. And those players you listed explore different music from different cultures, There's this video of steve talking about Bulgarian wedding songs. See? there's another thing you can pick up. They study and analyze music at that point. And They do get better, we might not be able to tell the difference, but the person who is learning those things will
challenging guitar stops when you stop challenging yourself.

there's ALWAYS new stuff to learn.. sometimes the hardest part is going out and finding it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
You start to learn piano...
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
One can be the kind of this world.... but there's women on the way...
and other stuff that make up modern life, like having a life...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
^ Fail. I'm sure JP, and Vai are always thinking of new things by writing songs. Dream Theater just released a new album last year, so that obviously shows JP is still learning by making more music.

Did I babble?
ESP

Respect Roope Latvala.
Quote by kobain666
like having a life...

**** that.

^ Fail. I'm sure JP, and Vai are always thinking of new things by writing songs. Dream Theater just released a new album last year, so that obviously shows JP is still learning by making more music.

Did I babble?

DT releases a new album every year >_>