Just curious. I have an ampeg v4bh and i need to retube it soon. Im pretty sure im going to switch the power tubes from 6l6's to tungsol 6550's. I want to try maybe tungsol's 12ax7. Dont know about the 12au7 yet. What are you guys running in your amp?
When I get my SVT-CL (the big brother of your amp) re-tubed, I'm swapping out every single tube with a tung-sol. I'd keep the 12ax7's in there, rather than the 12au7. I also agree with your decision to switch to 6550's. Your amp should sound slightly darker and more aggressive, while still maintaining clarity and getting a slight boost in gain.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i read somewhere that replacing the tubes in your amp with different tubes is a bad thing, i think it has something to do with the voltages required to power them, i may be wrong though.

look into it and maybe just replace the tubes you have with the same tubes
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
i read somewhere that replacing the tubes in your amp with different tubes is a bad thing, i think it has something to do with the voltages required to power them, i may be wrong though.

look into it and maybe just replace the tubes you have with the same tubes

Yeah, it would screw it up. You just have to have the amp rebiased for the particular tubes you want to use. Fairly quick and simple.
Quote by esposito123
Yeah, it would screw it up. You just have to have the amp rebiased for the particular tubes you want to use. Fairly quick and simple.

Yep, Ampeg amps have a user bias control. All you do is adjust two "screws" until the lights turn green. Use whatever tubes you want, just remember to re-bias.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.