Ok guys I'm learning two acoustic songs that sound better without a pick.
I Could Have Lied - RHCP
&
Slow Cheetah - RHCP
With the pick, it sounds too plucky, but with my fingers it sounds more mellow and smooth. BUT...
There's a problem, at the choruses there is strumming, and for me its really hard to do that without a pick (and without hurting my fingers).

So I was wondering do you all have any tips for strumming without a pick, or do you know of any good youtube vids?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Strum with your pinky, middle finger, and ring finger, not your thumb.

I'm not sure what it is you're asking. How is the verse different than the chorus?
Just put your index finger together with your thumb and strum with the front of your nail. That's how a lot of people I know do it.
Or you can do it like bangood said, it just it's just a preference.
sorry if i wasn't specific, the verses are single notes, which i can do, but the chorus have chords that i have to strum.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
softer pick
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I just strum using my pointer-finger fingernail. It's kind of like a built in pick. :P
my friend uses all 4 fingers(all except thumb) to strum
he has them all lined up, like how ur hand would be if u were karate-chopping XD
then he uses the nail-side of his fingers to strum.
its like sweeping the strings with ur nails...

i dunno how he does it strumming UP though... havent really seen him do it..
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Samai
my friend uses all 4 fingers(all except thumb) to strum
he has them all lined up, like how ur hand would be if u were karate-chopping XD
then he uses the nail-side of his fingers to strum.
its like sweeping the strings with ur nails...

i dunno how he does it strumming UP though... havent really seen him do it..

you kinda rotate the angle of your hand so that your nails are more or less perpendicular to the strings
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
get a rubber wedge
Influences
- Brian "Head" Welch
- James "Munky" Shaffer
- Slash
- Dimebag Darrell [RIP]
- Steve Vai
- Angus Young
- Joe Satriani
- Zakk Wylde
- Kyle Gass
- Kirk Hammett
- Jimi Hendrix
I dont use a pick in any style of music I play...whether its metal or punk, or blues or acoustic...when I strum I just put my fingers in a position like a "come hither" motion and use my fingernails
i think the key is to play like you have a pick in your hand. i know a friend of mine has his nails grown out to play without a pick.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

You know that motion you make when there's no paper towel or anything to dry your hands on after washing your hands and you sort of wring your wrist?

That's the SORT OF motion you're trying to get, but not so violent, softly and rhythmically.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You know that motion you make when there's no paper towel or anything to dry your hands on after washing your hands and you sort of wring your wrist?

That's the SORT OF motion you're trying to get, but not so violent, softly and rhythmically.

Best analogy EVER.

haha, everyone can relate to THAT.
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Haggard13
I dont use a pick in any style of music I play...whether its metal or punk, or blues or acoustic...when I strum I just put my fingers in a position like a "come hither" motion and use my fingernails

Well, there are two big disadvantages to play like that. 1. Your fingernails wear down real fast if playing like that on a steel-stringed guitar (acoustic or electric). 2. It doesn't sound as good, if you play metal and such music you want a hard pick, not a soft pick or fingernail because of the sound.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
strum down with your index up with your thumb. if it hurts, than get used to it. my index nail is always broken. so what im used to it.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.