first off, i absolutly love the tone of killswitch engage, it sounds so brutal and awesome. i was just wondering if anybody knew of what kinds of amps were used to record which albums. i know framus dragons/cobras were used on the end of heartach album, but other than that i dont know. i know ive heard they used mesa rectifiers and stilletos as well as 5150s and H&K triamps, but is anyone sure on which ones were used on which albums? because i would really like to know. thanks
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Yeah, a Peavey 5150 or a 6505 + (same thing) would be good. And, even though I dislike KsE, their tone is nice.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Damn straight. I went to a Killswitch show not too long ago, and even my guitar-illiterate friend said "wow, their guitars sound amazing!"

This might help. I think I saw a Mesa Dual Recto head at the show though. Er... a few of them.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
they used the 6505+ on early albums i know. but the last album hads the best sounding guitars in my opinion. So I would search for a Framus Cobra....peace
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
well im not really searching for an amp at the moment, but im kinda dissapointed with my peavey xxx i bought, its not brutal enough, when i get the money however i plan to purchase a used higer end amp such as a 6505 or a mesa, framus is probobly way over budget though(not sure what the budget would be however)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by mafropetee

This might help. I think I saw a Mesa Dual Recto head at the show though. Er... a few of them.

Yeah, it must be nice to be able to own all of that....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
High gain amp+ Maxon 808 to tighten it up
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by helsinki_vampir

That man has the most horrible taste in clothes.

Anyway, to add something constructive to this thread, an Engl Fireball should give you pretty comparable tone.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
thanks for all the responses guys, but what i was really wondering was if anyone knew what amps were used for which albums, because i really like the tone from the "as daylight dies" album
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
I think they used Mesa Recto's on Alive or just breathing.
Framus + 5150 on Heartache.
And on their last album they went to town and used Framus, 5150, and HK Triamp.

I believe live adam uses two tri amps and joel uses a Framus dragon and a tri amp.

EDIT: Thing is though dude on the album's the guitars are so over produced its stupid...theres no way in hell anyone could recreate it live because its gone thru so many different pre/poweramps, eq's, compressors ect ect. they probably double track both sides of guitars with two differnt amps and use another for cleans and leads and stuff...let be fair they dont have limited access to gear haha
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Last edited by AdRev at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by AdRev
I think they used Mesa Recto's on Alive or just breathing.
Framus + 5150 on Heartache.
And on their last album they went to town and used Framus, 5150, and HK Triamp.

I believe live adam uses two tri amps and joel uses a Framus dragon and a tri amp.

EDIT: Thing is though dude on the album's the guitars are so over produced its stupid...theres no way in hell anyone could recreate it live because its gone thru so many different pre/poweramps, eq's, compressors ect ect. they probably double track both sides of guitars with two differnt amps and use another for cleans and leads and stuff...let be fair they dont have limited access to gear haha

That is true, but their live tone is ridiculously good and a fairly accurate recreation of their album tones.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
On 'As Daylight Dies' they used Mesa Dual Rectos, but it's a bit tighter than the ones I've tried so I would imagine they used an OD or EQ to tighten up the bottom end a bit.
My 6505+ can get a great KsE tone though so possibly shoot for one of those.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
they do a lot of double-tracking and similar guff. Hard to get it exact, but you can get close.

alive or just breathing, i think, was rectos. could be wrong though.

end of heartache was framus dragons (cobras on the end of heartache song, i think) double tracked with 5150s. I think.

New album, i think they were back to rectos again? but i heard they had maybe done the cover of holy diver with a soldano SLO.

I think. I'm not sure if those are all exactly right, and it's kinda off the top of my head.

Engls get pretty close on their own- something like a fireball/powerball/S/Savage or similar. Though most modern-sounding high gain tube amps wouldn't be a million miles away.

EDIT: oh yeah, maxon od808s as boosts/tighteners.

if that's a word.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok Here is how Killswitch Does it on their Records.

The End of Heartache Album- Framus Cobra head, Framus Cobra Cab w/Greenbacks, Maxon Od-808 Overdrive,Boss Noise Gate, Alder Guitar with EMG 81.

As Daylight Dies Album- Mixed tone of two amps. First amp, 5150, Mesa Traditional Cab w/v30's, Second Amp Framus Dragon w/ Mesa Traditional Cab w/ V30's, Maxon OD-808 Overdrive, Boss Noisegate, Alder Guitar with EMG 81

99% positive that these are the rigs on their latest 2 CD's

I have seen them live 3 times and live on video many more times. I have NEVER (at least in the Howard Jones Era) seen them use anything else LIVE but Mesa Rectifiers with Mesa Cabs.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Ubershall404

I have seen them live 3 times and live on video many more times. I have NEVER (at least in the Howard Jones Era) seen them use anything else LIVE but Mesa Rectifiers with Mesa Cabs.

Ya but the mesas could be just for show, or perhaps because they have a deal with them. i know when i saw metallica they had full stacks of dual rectos, but they werent even hooked up because i know they use rack pre/power amps.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by clincher09
Quote by Ubershall404

The End of Heartache Album- Framus Cobra head, Framus Cobra Cab w/Greenbacks, Maxon Od-808 Overdrive,Boss Noise Gate, Alder Guitar with EMG 81.

As Daylight Dies Album- Mixed tone of two amps. First amp, 5150, Mesa Traditional Cab w/v30's, Second Amp Framus Dragon w/ Mesa Traditional Cab w/ V30's, Maxon OD-808 Overdrive, Boss Noisegate, Alder Guitar with EMG 81

99% positive that these are the rigs on their latest 2 CD's

Your are spot on about their recorded tone. Live now though they use Splawn Nitros. Some guy on harmony central whos like a splawn dealer or somthing said that he hooked up Adam and Joel while on the parkway /etid/dillinger tour.
ok im trying to get my band to play my curse, and i cannot, for the life of me get the chorus guitar to sound right(the high part). ive seen the youtube video of them actually teaching you the song, and he clearly is palm muting it. i use a gibson les paul custom and a mesa dual rectifier. any help?
Quote by tdopz
ok im trying to get my band to play my curse, and i cannot, for the life of me get the chorus guitar to sound right(the high part). ive seen the youtube video of them actually teaching you the song, and he clearly is palm muting it. i use a gibson les paul custom and a mesa dual rectifier. any help?

You palm mute every second note. If you mean what I think you mean. A delay really makes it sound better IMO.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Peaveys i believe were used on Alive or Just Breathing, along with the self-titled, Framus Dragons and Cobras, along with Peavey 5150s and Soldano SLOs were used on The End of Heartache, while Mesa Roadster (main tone), Lonestar (cleans), and Stilletto (overdubs) were used on Alive or Just Breathing.

However, when i played the Roadster, i found i could nail all their tones with just the one head, so if you're interested in getting an amp that can nail their tones (and a ****load more), look at the Roadster.
kse used diezel vh4 amps for most stuff on new album,with over dubs by a splawn nitro, some fuchs triples and vypers
Quote by SkateEmerica987
Ya but the mesas could be just for show, or perhaps because they have a deal with them. i know when i saw metallica they had full stacks of dual rectos, but they werent even hooked up because i know they use rack pre/power amps.

Robert trujilo uses the recto's
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Ubershall404

wrong

it was a cab with v30s

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/sneap-produced-albums/262400-killswitch-engage.html

listen to everything andy sneap says. he mixed/engineerd/produced the whole cd

his words are FINAL lol
Quote by Nolly
Trujillo is the bassist..

I know he is.

Trujillo uses recto's for bass, i'm not some kind of n00b

he has said himself that he does
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H