So I just drop tuned my guitar to E standard. Should I go for the .03 gauge strings or keep my 1.75, yes that's sarcasm.

Why do you drop tune? Do you do chuggas or do you use it to expand the range of your guitar. I dont drop tune, I like to stay tuned to 5ths. But I will down tune to D or C standard if I want to play heavier riffs, but its a pain with those damn floyd rose's.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Before I say anything else, I can say i don't tune any lower than Eb std or drop d.
I do it for a more heavy sound, or in the case of drop d, Easy powerchords for complicated things.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I used to drop tune alot because it was easier to play fast and heavy riffs, but after I bought a 7stringer I lost the urge for drop tuning.... A standard tuned 7stringer is all I need ^^

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Honestly, I like the sound of my guitar in C# better than anything else. Just a really nice sound. Not TOO heavy (drop A!!! Seriously you would need like bass strings!) but not too light at the same time.

If you're having trouble dropping b/c of your Floyd, get a Digitech whammy (ebay for like $100), they have an feature that I believe allows for down to B standard. IF you want to go into drop A from there for example, you can always get one of those EVH drop d tunas. But depending on your Floyd that might not work, and my seriously screw up the vibrato, i.e. you not being able to bend up. That would kill me...
Quote by edusty2010
Honestly, I like the sound of my guitar in C# better than anything else. Just a really nice sound. Not TOO heavy (drop A!!! Seriously you would need like bass strings!) but not too light at the same time.

If you're having trouble dropping b/c of your Floyd, get a Digitech whammy (ebay for like $100), they have an feature that I believe allows for down to B standard. IF you want to go into drop A from there for example, you can always get one of those EVH drop d tunas. But depending on your Floyd that might not work, and my seriously screw up the vibrato, i.e. you not being able to bend up. That would kill me...

if i down tune ill take the 45 minutes to set up my guitar. but its not often, i have my Caparison tuned to E standard and my BC Rich tuned to C standard, so i can play most things without needing to retune.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
I find E standard a nice tuning. It's got the right metalz if played right, and you still have the usual range of notes.

The other tuning I love is D standard. Very heavy yet very melodious if played right (Drop-A has no way of ever being melodious).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I drop tune to make things easy on the vocalist if I'm jamming with one or anything, Or if I just want to widen the variety's of music I play.
It's tempting to get my guitar set up for a lower tuning and buying a capo, but yeah, who knows?
Quote by edusty2010

C# drop produces a really nice sound. I agree. I tune my drop C guitar to that for BYOB and Heart Shaped Box. I want a guitar just for that tuning though so I don't have to tune it back. I don't wanna warp my ibanez.
One thing!

A Digitech Whammy CAN'T drop-tune a guitar, but it can down-tune it digitally which unfortunately makes the guitar strange sounding!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
I LOVE C Standard, I have my Ibanez in that tuning and i love it, and the ESP/Ltd in E Standard. I just love that low deep sound (and i tune my Acostic to C and it sounds surprisingly good ) but anything lower is to much (at least on a 6-string)
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Drop tuning makes power chords easy to play. The advantage is
you finger power chords. They sound deeper..more aggressive..
and you can hammer-on and pull of chords. That allows you to play
lightning fast chord progressions that are impossible otherwise.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I used to be into the whole drop tuning thing back when i played 6's, i had my main gigging guitar which was in Drop C all the time, but when i started playing 7's and 8's the need for 1 finger powerchords went with it.

Every so often i will detune to drop D (6) or Drop A (7) to play some Tool and Nile tunes respectively, but i couldnt stay in that tuning.
I like the feel of my guitar when there's not a lot of tension the strings, the bends on it are epic.

I don't usually do drop tunings, I'm usually either in E standard, or C Standard.
Quote by Timeless
So I just drop tuned my guitar to E standard. Should I go for the .03 gauge strings or keep my 1.75, yes that's sarcasm.

Why do you drop tune? Do you do chuggas or do you use it to expand the range of your guitar. I dont drop tune, I like to stay tuned to 5ths. But I will down tune to D or C standard if I want to play heavier riffs, but its a pain with those damn floyd rose's.

1. You can do "chuggas" in any tuning.

2. If you were tuned to 5ths you would be tuned like a violin, not a guitar

3. Drop tuning allows you to play chords that would not be easily fingered in standard tuning, as well as allowing quick changes of power chords using the low E.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
well... I like the sound of a guitar tuned really low. I also like a huge range of notes, and here's where my 7-string come to hand. the best of both worlds.

or were we talking about drop-tunings like...drop-d or drop-a? Thats neat sometimes, because you can play chords that are a pain to play in standard.

yeah
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Funny how things work out sometimes, eh?
One dark day in '65 Tony Iommi accidentally chops off his fingertips....

...and 30 years later people are buying inch-thick strings to try and get the same sound.
well at first it was invented to do power chords faster and to be able to play rhythm and lead easy... play a rhythm power chord and hit some lead notes. But now i think its more of the way it sounds. With my style of metal playing the drop tuning makes the palm mutes sound better and when i hit those power chords with it in drop it has that dark sound to it where as it dont tuned to standard. I mean of course you can make it sound heavy in standard also. But its like pantera in drop d for example. He did that because of the sound it makes really not because it makes it easier.
Quote by Timeless

why do you tune to 5ths? (which I actually assume you don't) Why change tunings at all? why tune to standard (fourths, which is what I assume you meant)?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've dropped to A before, It sounds good when on the right settings and right gauge strings. Not even slinky or Zakk Wylde's thickest set.
*bangs head against desk*

5 half-steps people . . . . guitar is supposed to be tuned to 5 half-steps from the last string . . . . . not 4ths . . . . not 5ths . . . . 5ths would be related to a scale . . . . . .
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by Doubleday
*bangs head against desk*

5 half-steps people . . . . guitar is supposed to be tuned to 5 half-steps from the last string . . . . . not 4ths . . . . not 5ths . . . . 5ths would be related to a scale . . . . . .

Actually it is a perfect 4th if you consider the string above to be the root note.