Page 1 of 2
I have a series of questions that I would like to hear peoples opinions about. I'll just put them in list form to make it easier.

1. Why does everyone want to play lead / is there ANYONE out there would rather play rhythm?
2. Why do rhythm players seem to get no respect? I mean, without them the lead would sound pretty ****ty.

The reason I ask is this: While I was playing (playing along with Ill Nino) I first played the lead part of the song, then I played the rhythm part. I LOVE playing rhythm. I don't really like playing lead that much at all. It kind of bothers me, because I know when I start a band if we get another guitar player I will pretty much go without being noticed. I know that seems very vein of me, but doesn't every player want to be in the spotlight?

Also, I realize that SOME rhythm players are well liked, but I find that's only if they are also the lead vocalist. Ex: James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine.
The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.

Quote by Toniofalcon
I'd prefer to be the only guitarist in a band. I love rhythm and I like leads, why not do both? Plus I want all of the attention because I am a huge faggot.
I notice rhythme. I enjoy playing guitar, no matter what. no preference.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
I'm the exact opposite.
I don't want to be 'spotlight' as much as I want to have fun, And I have more fun playing rhythm.

My mates (ex) band did a show a while ago, Where ten kids were holding camera phones up and what not, mainly at the lead singer and lead guitarist, and I could honestly say that I'd hate to be in that position.

I mainly love rhythm due to the need of it too. You obviously need rhythm in a song; Whereas lead work may only fit some styles of music. If you catch my drift.
Last edited by Moe. at Mar 7, 2008,
rhythm > lead

IMO

leads are handy and can help liven up a song, but without rhythm, songs feel empty. and TS, i think you're waaaaay wrong. i know an assload of people who prefer rhythm over lead and i have yet to meet someone who hates rhythm.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Some people are more on the rhythm side, some are more on the lead. Personally I enjoy playing more lead, but I want to get better at rhythm because I am bad at it. I just really like having fun with the improvisation over stuff. I wouldn't mind the attention of lead playing(I'm not an attention seeker though). I think that may be a big factor as well, maybe subconsciously, either people don't mind/like attention or they don't want/hate attention, and not just in regards to guitar, but in life.

But I definitely respect the rhythm guys.

People tend to recognize the lead singer first, hence why those rhythm guys are liked, because people identify them with the 'voice' of the band and notice them first.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Last edited by Malarkatron at Mar 7, 2008,
Rhythm is more important than lead. If you play lead without any rhythm in your playing, it'll sound like crap. Rhythm players don't get the respect they deserve.
i like rhythm better but only if its hard, if its just power chords id rather play lead
???
Anyone who can play lead can play rythm.
Greater guitarists switch between the both. Claudio Sanchez (Coheed & Cambria), Adam Jones (TooL), etc.
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
My fingers are way too big to play chords, so rhythm is definitely out of the question for me.

Anyone else like this?

Besides, I play Bass... there is no point in me playing my Guitar like a play my Bass -_-
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 7, 2008,
I prefer doing both and working out a system with the other guitarist (notice that I did not refer to him as lead or rhythm) that allows for the use of the tone differences and playing style variations to develop melody and harmony rather than lead and rhythm.
Im goingto be the Rhythm player in my band if my friends can get together. I much prefer it to lead and I'm getting great at Rhythm.
They are both important. That why ppl form bands. Alone something might sound so so or ****ty...but combined an organic explosion for your ears can be formed.
I prefer a Chuck Berry/Keith Richards type style where it's rhythm oriented, but at certain times you lash out for a few measures and play a few solo licks. Kind of a "Rhythm-Lead" guitar. It's the basic structure of my whole rock n' roll style
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Dude, the list of famous rhythm players that are famous:

Dave mustaine of Megadeth
Jame Hetfield of Metallica
Abbath of Immortal
Kerry King of Slayer
Michael Amott of Arch Enemy
Dimebag of Pantera
Roope of COB

and many more.

These guys can own a crowd so I think that they get no respect theory is bull.
Last edited by The User Name at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by The User Name
Dude, the list of famous rhythm players that are famous:

Dave mustaine of Megadeth
Jame Hetfield of Metallica
Abbath of Immortal
Kerry King of Slayer
and many more.

And Chuck Berry and Keith Richards, like I said, and John Fogerty, Rich Robinson, Malcolm Young, and tons of others. I had to add a few non metal guitarists to the list
Quote by Diet_coke_head
1. Why does everyone want to play lead / is there ANYONE out there would rather play rhythm?

lead is more fun

2. Why do rhythm players seem to get no respect? I mean, without them the lead would sound pretty ****ty.

because you all have that attitude
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Meshuggah anyone?
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Quote by thankyougermany

And Chuck Berry and Keith Richards, like I said, and John Fogerty, Rich Robinson, Malcolm Young, and tons of others. I had to add a few non metal guitarists to the list

Thats great for you! because it is pretty clear that the TS is a Metalhead
Quote by bi-ah!

lead is more fun

naw, Dude play so Dave Mustaine riffs or Immortal riffs than tell me that.
Quote by The User Name

Thats great for you! because it is pretty clear that the TS is a Metalhead

I was able to guess that

Quote by bi-ah!

lead is more fun

1. Lead is NOT necessarily more fun, some people just don't know how to appreciate the fun in rhythm playing. I'm not saying either is better, but some people enjoy one or the other more.

2. It's because lead guitarists in general are arrogant as hell. Like trumpet players (I know.... I used to be one)
Quote by Diet_coke_head
as musicians, i think rhythm is more important than leads. but as a listener i think people find leads more important and keeps them listening. it kind of works hand in hand. a song or band with no leads eventually gets very boring. a song with no rhythm guitar sounds very empty in a live situation i think. you kind of need both in order to have a "complete" sound.
Quote by thankyougermany

1. Lead is NOT necessarily more fun, some people just don't know how to appreciate the fun in rhythm playing. I'm not saying either is better, but some people enjoy one or the other more.

2. It's because lead guitarists in general are arrogant as hell. Like trumpet players (I know.... I used to be one)

AMEN BROTHA!
The responses to this thread have been awesome thus far. I've found out more about how other guitarists feel about rhythm player than I have in a long while. Thanks for that. On a side note, I never really thought about guitarists like Adam Jones switching between lead and rhythm, I've always just seen his playing as... well, different. I love it though. Now, as I think about all the bands I love that only have 1 guitarist, I realize they all do that. That is very similar to what I do when writing my own material, I just never thought of it as any lead playing. Reading *most* of the replies to this thread has been very eye opening to me.
The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.

Quote by Toniofalcon
I'd prefer to be the only guitarist in a band. I love rhythm and I like leads, why not do both? Plus I want all of the attention because I am a huge faggot.
Opeth is a good example of how a complex rhythm can make a more simple lead sound incredible.
I don't want to be in the spotlight,I'd rather rock with the bass player or drummer and keep the song moving.
I would rather play rhythm.... To me the song itself is based around the rhythm not the lead. Most people remember the rhythm part over the lead as well any day of the week, Enter Sandman anyone. And you can have a whole song with out any lead parts... So i would say Rhythm actually eats lead for breakfast.. But to each there own...
I don't really like playing lead, I have alot more fun jumping around and playing rhythm.

The only reason I play lead in my band is because "I play better." Of course this makes me seem like an arrogant lead prick but that's just how it is, I practice 4-5 hours a day, our other guitarist practices for maybe 20 minutes a day. He has even said to me, "Dude you're way better, play lead from now on." (I'm the new guy and I've been playing for almost one year vs. his three...)

EDIT:
Quote by The User Name
Personally, I like to play dual guitars (rhythm and lead)

This is definitely the coolest though
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by thefunnelweaver
I have a series of questions that I would like to hear peoples opinions about. I'll just put them in list form to make it easier.

The reason I ask is this: While I was playing (playing along with Ill Nino) I first played the lead part of the song, then I played the rhythm part. I LOVE playing rhythm. I don't really like playing lead that much at all. It kind of bothers me, because I know when I start a band if we get another guitar player I will pretty much go without being noticed. I know that seems very vein of me, but doesn't every player want to be in the spotlight?

Also, I realize that SOME rhythm players are well liked, but I find that's only if they are also the lead vocalist. Ex: James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine.

I LOVE playing rhythm!

I look at it like this: A great rhythm player MOVES you, a GREAT lead guitar player stops you.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
I LOVE playing rhythm!

I look at it like this: A great rhythm player MOVES you, a GREAT lead guitar player stops you.

That is the most stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.Nice try at making a quote...

Fucking phailed horribly
First of all a lot of bands have one guitar player making it irrellivent and Dimebag was more known for solos(lead)than rhythm still good rhythm. Im in that situation. i do both like Adam Jones where the bass backs during solo's. i like soloing and stuff, but only if it benefits the music i don't overkill thats just stupid. While I play i get really into the rhythm part, but then feel energized durin the solo's. So i guess no preference. If we got another guitar player i'd still want to do both. For me one without the other "CAN" get boring like yall said lead is nothing without rhythm. i'd do what 'joeythedrummer" said if we got another guitar player I'd just swap every ounce in awhile. lead is like challenging your ability as a player although their are some kick@$$ rhythm parts too...ahhh confused brain can't compute XD..............
rhythm guitar builds the structure of the song. i prefer to play rhythm.
::type
Quote by The User Name
That is the most stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.Nice try at making a quote...

Fucking phailed horribly

Hmmm...must be a bad lead player huh?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I prefer rhythm, i find it overall more fun. Never been one to go for the spotlight, am capable to play lead but its much funner and more important to play chords. hold everything togehter from behind the scenes. Guess the reasons why rhythm guitarists never get the recognition they deserve is because they know their role isnt in the spotlight so dont go wild and dramatic in playing.
Page 1 of 2