Page 1 of 2
i really dont like these amps. really fizzy and muddy. but i cant help but ignore the fact that tons of bands use them and endorsed. so am i just EQing wrong?

i was thinking of giving it a 10th chance using it with an OD pedal to tighten it up (hopefully) and maybe like it. im exaggerating with the 10th time but i have played it tons of times and never liked it.

so does anyone get a tight low end out of these things?

and if u do can i see some settings so i can try them and see if i like it at all.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
It's a matter of taste, you don't like how it sounds, so what it's not your thing. Anyhow in my opinion they're a fairly overrated.
Ibanez SZ 320MH >> Vox V487 >> Barber LTD >> MI Audio Neo-Fuzz >> Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Aaron_C
It's a matter of taste, you don't like how it sounds, so what it's not your thing. Anyhow in my opinion they're a fairly overrated.

K!

just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing something wrong b/c its absolutely overpriced for that fizzy loose tone. it really isnt me. it does some good lead tones but not good enough for the price IMO. thanks tho, that cleared that up and i can look away now lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Most OD pedal them... And also from what i've read there not a get out the box turn on and play kind of amp. They take alot of time to adjust to find the right tone.... AKA good amp to setup once and leave at the studio... Bad amp when your trying to play 20 different gernes of music on the fly...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Most OD pedal them... And also from what i've read there not a get out the box turn on and play kind of amp. They take alot of time to adjust to find the right tone.... AKA good amp to setup once and leave at the studio... Bad amp when your trying to play 20 different gernes of music on the fly...

That is where the Dual Rec Solo Head leaves off and the Roadster/ Road King pick up...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
yeah but the roadster has a tighter low end in comparison so its even better at the dual rec's job than the dual rec -_-. lol. i still didnt even like the roadster tho. its better but still not good enough for me.

the guy at the mesa store said that the rectifier is a more of a plug and play type amp lol. like it takes less effort to get a good tone in comparison to a mark IV which wasnt hard at all really. i had good tone from the start and the settings i got made it better. so i dont know what he was on about.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
I personally don't like them at all. Really bad amps for how much they cost (imo). The only time they really sound good is cranked and cranking an amp that loud isn't going to make your ears happy.

The Roadster, Roadkings and Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verbs are much better sounding versions of the Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You know the more i read and hear them the more im swaying away from them. I used to be mesa gung ho... But now I think my next amp will be a 6505 or 5150.... Cheap, easy to come by and sounds great with plenty of gain..... But who knows i might just rock the Valveking i finally got a killer tone out of it so screw it lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 8, 2008,
yeah they definitely aren't for everyone, plus the EQ on them is very sensitive and takes a lot of fiddling to get something you like.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah Boogie makes some kick ass amps but the Rectos don't quite do it for me either. I like the distortion to be a bit tighter but it's really all a matter of preference. They're great amps overall but as with anything they're not for everyone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You know the more i read and hear them the more im swaying away from them. I used to be mesa gung ho... But now I think my next amp will be a 6505 or 5150.... Cheap, easy to come by and sounds great with plenty of gain..... But who knows i might just rock the Valveking i finally got a killer tone out of it so screw it lol

yeah if you like tight low end (most everyone does) dont get a mesa.

a 5150 gets the job done but if you let me know your budget i can help out

but for a cheaper metal amp thats it. but since you alread have a valveking which does pretty well on its i say save some more and maybe do a used something. idk how much your looking to spend so i cant recommend anything yet.

lol why am i turning this into a "what should i buy" topic.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by MatrixClaw
I personally don't like them at all. Really bad amps for how much they cost (imo). The only time they really sound good is cranked and cranking an amp that loud isn't going to make your ears happy.

The Roadster, Roadkings and Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verbs are much better sounding versions of the Recto.

ill say the rectoverb has much better cleans than any dual or triple, but doesnt have a better lead. I own one and i'm finding myself going to switch over to a dual.

No matter whos endorsed or what, its whether you like it or not! I really enjoy the tone, when ever i've played a dual i've never had any problems with finding a good tone. I've had my rectoverb for a year, love the thing, just wanna get a dual instead. I haven't really had a chance to play a mark, seeing as the gc's that carry mesa don't carry those. I dont think i really want a mark either, i've played the dc series, somewhat close and wasn't impressed at all. I also wasn't impressed w/ the f-series when i played it, very very disappointed. Seeing for me that i'm very into that type of tone, the recto tone it fits me very well.

tight low end

Bogner Uberschall
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
tight low end

Bogner Uberschall

totally. that thing rips. best metal ive ever heard. way too much low end for my tastes tho lol. hard to EQ it out without sounding like crap. great for death metal, not much else. definitely not a versatile amp. granted with some EQ pedals, effects and what not it can be but just the amp, its not.

i think a framus cobra has the tightest low end in my experience but the uberschall is one heck of an amp tho. it definitely is the king of low end. just doesnt do what i need it to do, love the tone tho.....tho not as much as a cobra
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Most people play Rectos in a store or something...a place where they cant really crank em up...and make their opinions on that. They arent low volume amps by any means...as with most all high gain tube amps. When I REALLY turn up my Triple Recto its very tight, defined, and clear. But its when I have it on lower, practice volumes is when it gets fizzy and flabby.

Also, the more you push them, the less gain you need to use. Its weird. When my Triple is on a low volume I keep my gain at around 3 or 4 o'clock...but when its LOUD I only use it on like 1 o'clock.
The lower the gain, the tighter and more focused it is...its just you gotta have em pretty loud.

In the end, theyre great amps...but only if you can really have em up loud!
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Most people play Rectos in a store or something...a place where they cant really crank em up...and make their opinions on that. They arent low volume amps by any means...as with most all high gain tube amps. When I REALLY turn up my Triple Recto its very tight, defined, and clear. But its when I have it on lower, practice volumes is when it gets fizzy and flabby.

Also, the more you push them, the less gain you need to use. Its weird. When my Triple is on a low volume I keep my gain at around 3 or 4 o'clock...but when its LOUD I only use it on like 1 o'clock.
The lower the gain, the tighter and more focused it is...its just you gotta have em pretty loud.

In the end, theyre great amps...but only if you can really have em up loud!

QFT it also helps if you find a two channel. And they are surprisingly versatile as well.

for example... http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/14478_teleblues.mp3
Mesas non high gain heads are great! I myself don't care for the overly bassy and loose high gain sounds like the rectifiers.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Mesas non high gain heads are great! I myself don't care for the overly bassy and loose high gain sounds like the rectifiers.

Refer to mine and Say_Oceans posts above.

PEOPLE. LEARN HOW TO USE RECTIFIERS BEFORE BEING NEGATIVE TOWARDS THEM!

Or at least play them the way theyre meant to be played! LOUD!

AND NOT MID-SCOOPED!
Haha man my buddy had one sent in to have a bass mod on it to remove some off the triple rec... Still muddy as hell.

I don't play mid scooped tones either never have
Quote by giternator

a 5150 gets the job done but if you let me know your budget i can help out

but for a cheaper metal amp thats it. but since you alread have a valveking which does pretty well on its i say save some more and maybe do a used something. idk how much your looking to spend so i cant recommend anything yet.

lol why am i turning this into a "what should i buy" topic.

Im not looking at buying anytime soon i just purchased the Valveking a few months ago and love it lol. The mesa was just on my to get list and was in close running with my other to get list amp the 6505/5150... Thanks for the help though...
Quote by giternator

Now you're just generalizing. There's PLENTLY of Mesa amps that have a tight low end, just not the Recto.

Quote by Say Ocean
PS I (badly) recorded this with a recto www.myspace.com/riseriseak not the best tone ever due to the recording quality, but as you can see its not fizzy or too loose.

True, but you also have a 2-channel, which I actually really liked when I played one. The 3-channels, not so much
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

True, but you also have a 2-channel, which I actually really liked when I played one. The 3-channels, not so much

They really aren't THAT much different. I mean, if you like the 2 chan, you'll like the 3 chan, maybe not as much, but they aren't TOTALLY different.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
That is where the Dual Rec Solo Head leaves off and the Roadster/ Road King pick up...

Haha that's also when the prices pick vigorously up aswell
Quote by philipisabeast
Haha that's also when the prices pick vigorously up aswell

Not really, the Dual Rec Solo lists for 1700 and the Roadster lists for 1900. Just 200 bucks for a much better amp. Even though I don't hate Rectos.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by philipisabeast
^ Ahh, I was speaking about the UK market, which is..alot less lenient in prices

Sorry man, I guess I forgot to look where you live.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
i felt the same way with the Mark IV. lots of people seem to use and love them, but when i tried it out, i was hard pressed to set it up right.

i figure its my own fault tho, i only got to sit down with it once tho for about 20 minutes. hardly enough time to full explore how any amp works.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I sold my Dual Rectifier (3 Ch) to get an Orange Rockverb 50 Head, and I have never looked back.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i felt the same way with the Mark IV. lots of people seem to use and love them, but when i tried it out, i was hard pressed to set it up right.

i figure its my own fault tho, i only got to sit down with it once tho for about 20 minutes. hardly enough time to full explore how any amp works.

I may be on your side. Its just a different type of gain, a smoother less grrrish gain i suppose, the Recto gain is more gritty, more brutish, whereas the Mark IV displays amazing hi-gains but the clairty can make some if it tooo smooth. I think I might just be a Roadking guy...
The Rectos suck, IMO.

Now, the Mark series is a totally different story.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by Highwaytohell
I may be on your side. Its just a different type of gain, a smoother less grrrish gain i suppose, the Recto gain is more gritty, more brutish, whereas the Mark IV displays amazing hi-gains but the clairty can make some if it tooo smooth. I think I might just be a Roadking guy...

Road Kings are amazing, IMO. That's why I own one.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
wow you guys are still on this -_-. i already said the recto isnt my flavor. i didnt say anything negative at all.

FYI, i did crank it and it was painful b/c the tone was bad to me and not what i was looking for. there are plenty of amps that have sounded good to me at decent volumes and way better cranked, the recto wasnt one of them.

BUT NOTICE HOW THIS IS JUST HOW I FEEL AND IM NOT SAYING THE AMP IS PURE GARBAGE.

so there....
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
^ Well no ones saying it's pure garbage, just discussing their opinions; i see no slagging off of you
Page 1 of 2