OK, looking for a few answers on pick-ups and setting them up.
My MAIN problem is that the set-up I have has WAY too much compression when I turn them up (to get better distortion..I am playing mostly metallica, megadeth, nickleback, scorpions etc)

1) Other than simply turning the pick-ups down, how can I lower the amount of compression WITHOUT loosing drive. (need it to sound good when doing palm muted chunking on the low E :-)
I'm THINKING, I could lower the pick-ups a lot more...but then would I just be in the same boat, but only slightly higher up on the volume setting?

2) I am using a guitar with "Duncan Designed" Active pick-ups (basically the Blackouts).
Would going to a NON-active pick-up help? If so, what would be a good choice (Max distortion/minimum compression)

3) Not using a distortion pedal at the moment, will I be able to get a set-up where I don't have insane amounts of compression, but STILL have good thick distortion?

BTW, as far as new pick ups go, I am 99.99% a rhythm metal player. I rarely use anything above the g string .... my MAIN concern is midrange and bottom end power chords. Not sure if that has anything to do with what pick ups to get. Does being wound "hotter" mean more high end, or more low end? No idea! LOL

Thanx
(Yeah, I am a newbie)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
what amp do you have. that may be the problem.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I have had the same problem with several amps. and my computer (Mac with garage band)
Currently I have a Behringer Vampire 210
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Actives do compress easier, you might want to try higher-quality, lower-output passives. I use a JB and a '59 in my Jackson, and when I compare them to the EMG 81/85 set in my co-guitarist's Ibanez, he always has a much more compressed sound, regardless of amp or gain level.
Stick Dimarzio Breeds in your guitar instead, they'll be perfect for you. However the amp is a major problem here too, those Behringers are pretty lame.

Decent tube amp+mahogany guitar+Breeds = https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 8, 2008,
Im not trying to flame you..but you sound new to active pups..

I dont know if you have a new guitar or not...but the same thing happened
to me when i started out on my first active pups. I spent most of my time tweaking
it and one day I realised I was trying to get a passive sound out of it.

To get the passive response out of active pups..its good to use the middle selector.
It doesnt really work on passive sets as well...but to a new active pup user it can
do as much as a 3rd pickup. I use the middle and the treble most of the time. I don't
really use the neck too much.

Get in the middle and blend the two pickups. Also your volume knob is a big factor.
You can think of it as a miniature distortion pedal. As you crank the volume the
fuzz will crank up more. Some actives can even go from clean to dirty as ****.
try cranking up the amp..and turning down the guitar..and etc...active pups have
alot more things that you can do to tweak your sound.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 8, 2008,