Does anybody listen to Jazz? I've had a massive resurgence in interest in the genre a

I used to listen to it throughout '98 but then never listened to it again. Now I'm actually re-listening to it and studying up on it. Really great form of music, Jazz is. I've been listening to Bebop Jazz (really interesting on how that genre came up), Cool Jazz, and Free Jazz.
I actually just got back from a jazz band festival. My school's big band played an arrangement of Buddy Rich's Nutville. IMO jazz is the most unique and vivid form of expression.
Peace.
It's my 2nd favorite genre. Coltrane is my favorite Jazz musician. I like Thelonious Monk, an amazing improvisor, Wes Montgomery, Miles Davis, and others like Django Reinhardt. Frank Sinatra is one of my favorite vocalists, too.

Plus, Norah Jones isn't a nothing-but-Jazz artist, but she does have a really good Jazz sound.

Also, Latin Jazz like Ruben Gonzalez, or CeU.
Quote by The Madcap
It's my 2nd favorite genre. Coltrane is my favorite Jazz musician. I like Thelonious Monk, an amazing improvisor, Wes Montgomery, Miles Davis, and others like Django Reinhardt. Frank Sinatra is one of my favorite vocalists, too.

Plus, Norah Jones isn't a nothing-but-Jazz artist, but she does have a really good Jazz sound.

I've been reading up on about 80% of the people you listed there, I have yet to listen to them though
I'm lead Tenor in a Jazz band. I hated Jazz before joining this band. I feel that Jazz is a genre that, once you play it yourself, is so much more enjoyable. We went to one of the biggest Canadian Jazz festivals back in November, and came home with the #1 rating. We played a Gordon Goodwin piece called "Count Bubba's Revenge", a Chucho Valdez piece called "Claudia", and another piece by the title "Muy Caliente!". It was one hell of a festival.

We had a little reunion today, after 2 months of separation, in order to prepare for a concert we're gonna be playing for the school coffeehouse. We only had about 50% of the former members of the band there, but our best players will all be taking part, so I expect it to be exciting.

Jazz is the shit. Gordon Goodwin is a god. Joe Zawinul and Jaco Pastorius also fit the bill.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by The Madcap

You didn't mention Joe Pass .....And of all people Madcap...I thought you'd have enough musical taste/sense to mention his name...
Quote by Pat McRotch
And of all people Madcap...I thought you'd have enough musical taste/sense to mention his name...
Maybe that should tell you something about your tastes .
Quote by The Madcap
Maybe that should tell you something about your tastes .

Oh......thanks....
my guitar teacher got me to listen to Django Reindhart (i think that's how you spell it), Django had two fingers, yet was awesome on guitar.

i respect jazz, but i don't have any to listen to. just Django! What's good jazz for a mainly metal person like me to get into?
Last edited by Rokeman at Mar 8, 2008,
never listened to joe pass, but wes montgomery is really great. i really like miles davis, his stuff isn't as cluttered as some artists' stuff, so it leaves room for each instrument to really sink in. oh, and george benson's jazzy stuff is really good.
john mclaughlin is great. guitar trio stuff too. and some johnny a
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
ok cool i'll look into it more when i get time and money to get into some jazz stuff.
Best genre out there.

Its so technical and intense, I love listening to it.

Some of my favorites are Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Wes Montgomery, Dave Brubeck, and of course the old greats like Miles Davis and John Coltrane to name a few.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Gil Scott Heron.

/thread.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
+1 to everyone who said Coltrane.

My band teacher showed me him, and that's what really sparked my interest.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I used to listen to a ton of old-school jazz, but I haven't in a long time. I need to go find my old CDs and put'em on my iTunes library.