Hi I'm just wondering if i need a new power supply for my computer.

I currently have a stock 220 Watt power supply installed, with this hardware:

• 2x 80 GB Hard Drives
  • 1 Creative Sound Card
  • 1 DvD burner
  • 1 Cd burner/ player
  • 1 GeForce FX 5500
  • CPU: 2.8 GHz
  • 2GB DDR Ram

Well it works fine now, but I've just ordered a http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=162&grp=3 and I don't think I have enough power.

Also, how much would a new power supply go for? >100?
yes get a new one. id say at least 450w. shop around, you can get a good one for about $100, maybe less.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by Timeless
yes get a new one. id say at least 450w. shop around, you can get a good one for about $100, maybe less.

Alright, thanks bro.
you can get cheapie ones for like 30. But dont just look at the wattage, look at the ampres on the 12V rails. Ive got a generic RaidMax 550W but it has more on the 12V rails then 650W others make. That just means the rest is lost as heat, which is bad. Im pushing:
2 320GB SATA HDs at 7200 RPM
2 74GB SATA Raptor HDs at 10000 RPM (MASSIVE power usage)
Core 2 Duo stock at 1.8 per core Running at 3.2 per core
DVD +- RW
ATI x800 XL
Audigy 2 (from back in the day, now my DS3 motherboard has surround sound and optical out so the only reason for the audigy is 24bit sound and insane bass)
Fans
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
BAM

You just can't beat FSP for value.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Timeless

eBay is your friend. you could most likely get one for $20 dollars maybe less on eBay.
Quote by Tiksi
you can get cheapie ones for like 30. But dont just look at the wattage, look at the ampres on the 12V rails. Ive got a generic RaidMax 550W but it has more on the 12V rails then 650W others make. That just means the rest is lost as heat, which is bad. Im pushing:
DVD +- RW
ATI x800 XL
Audigy 2 (from back in the day, now my DS3 motherboard has surround sound and optical out so the only reason for the audigy is 24bit sound and insane bass)
Fans

is this any good>
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Okia-600w-watt-BLUE-Power-Supply-w-Dual-Fans-LED_W0QQitemZ280205417755QQihZ018QQcategoryZ80171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by Camaro_IRocz

eh... Its not exactly a well known brand, and it only "provides" 24A on the 12V as a 600W PSU... Its an overrated unit. If you buy a cheap PSU thats dies out on you there is a possibility of it frying up your hardware.

Go buy an antec earthwatts if you want a cheap reliable PSU. I believe a 430W is about $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

FSP is a decent manufacturer as well, but the antec earthwatts has a better efficiency rating meaning it'll provide closer to the wattage thats actually labeled, and also lower your electric bill.
Last edited by Melan at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Melan
eh... Its not exactly a well known brand, and it only "provides" 24A on the 12V as a 600W PSU... Its an overrated unit. If you buy a cheap PSU thats dies out on you there is a possibility of it frying up your hardware.

Go buy an antec earthwatts if you want a cheap reliable PSU. I believe a 430W is about $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

FSP is a decent manufacturer as well, but the antec earthwatts has a better efficiency rating meaning it'll provide closer to the wattage thats actually labeled, and also lower your electric bill.

Hey thanks man. im glad you know about this stuff, cause i would of ordered it by the price.
Quote by Camaro_IRocz
Hey thanks man. im glad you know about this stuff, cause i would of ordered it by the price.

Np~ I've worked close to 2 years for a case/psu manufacturer. I don't mind helping. Also a lot of the times when you buy electronics on eBay the manufacturer won't accept warranty replacements if you were to request it. Best to buy from one of their resellers. If you have no idea how to replace the PSU/connectors just send me a PM.
Last edited by Melan at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Tiksi
DVD +- RW
ATI x800 XL
Fans

Wise indeed!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.