I was down at the local music store, and they had a second hand Fender Twin Reverb II down there. It's a combo, and it looked hell old, but it had that feel that it could be totally awesome if it was cleaned up a bit. Now, it's $1900 Australian, and to give you an idea of prices over here:

Marshall MG 100DFX - 800-900 $
Marshall JCM900 Head - $2599

Mesa Boogie F100 - $4000

Vox AC30 CC1- $1700

So to get quality over here, you have to spend a lot. I've heard some good things about the Twin Reverbs series, so I was just asking for impressions and thoughts on the Reverb II. I'd like to be able to get some distortion out of it too.
It's an absolutely great amplifier. The "II"'s were designed by Paul Rivera in the early 80's. They're all hand-wired, and have more gain on tap than your standard Fender. If you're after a powerful clean amp, you just can't do any better.

A terrific value when compared to the prices on the Mesa and Marshall you list. The Vox is actually a pretty good deal for you, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Just picked one up myself a few days ago. Were you able to get your hands on a manual?

I have a feeling that despite the 4ohms minimum noted on the speaker output jacks, it is loaded with two 16ohm speakers for an 8ohm load. Reason I say this is that when I connect a 4ohm extension cab (two 8ohm speakers), the extension is much louder than the combo.

Just want to make sure I'm not hurting my amp.
Quote by timfxckingklotz
Just picked one up myself a few days ago. Were you able to get your hands on a manual?

I have a feeling that despite the 4ohms minimum noted on the speaker output jacks, it is loaded with two 16ohm speakers for an 8ohm load. Reason I say this is that when I connect a 4ohm extension cab (two 8ohm speakers), the extension is much louder than the combo.

Just want to make sure I'm not hurting my amp.

Do note that speaker efficiency will play a large role in the volume difference, presuming that your extension cab has different speakers than the stock ones in the amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Also note that if you run a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab in parallel you'll end up with an awkward impedance level that comes up somewhere below 4 ohms total. I would obtain an 8 ohm extension cab and run it parallel with the stock 8 ohm setup for a 4 ohm total load.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
OH yah those RED KNOBS
those things are packed full of distortion
i got one to well not the exact same one and i recomend using EHX tubes bring out the best in the mofos, the distortion is Harsh but the cleans are unbelieavalble, i recomend getting it change the pots and crap, get bettor tubes, and if your still not satisfied wiht the distortion get a Metal Muff and put it on the clean side of the amp
Kendall, thanks again. To play it safe, I'm not going to use that cab anymore. I recall reading somewhere that the ext. speaker switch actually triggers a change in output impedance. This is why I'm dying to get my hands on a manual. Also, each jack individually says 4ohms minimum. So my guess was originally that the cabinet speakers carried a 4ohm load, the ext. output was wired in series, and another 4ohm cab would make an 8ohm load, which is what the speakers switched to, but that seemed very unconventional for a number of reasons.

I'm just going to hold off until I get my hands on that fender extension cabinet or new speakers for my current cab.
Quote by the-kid66(2)
OH yah those RED KNOBS
those things are packed full of distortion
i got one to well not the exact same one and i recomend using EHX tubes bring out the best in the mofos, the distortion is Harsh but the cleans are unbelieavalble, i recomend getting it change the pots and crap, get bettor tubes, and if your still not satisfied wiht the distortion get a Metal Muff and put it on the clean side of the amp

That amp is actually just called "The Twin", more commonly known as the Fender Evil Twin. It came out the year after they stopped making the Twin Reverb II and was only made for one or two years. I believe it was the first Fender Twin that wasn't hand wired point to point.
Quote by timfxckingklotz
That amp is actually just called "The Twin", more commonly known as the Fender Evil Twin. It came out the year after they stopped making the Twin Reverb II and was only made for one or two years. I believe it was the first Fender Twin that wasn't hand wired point to point.

I thought most 80's Twins had red knobs...