How about this amp, is it a good one? I just need one to practise with and has a good tone to it. I play GNR, AC/DC, Chilli Peppers, Led Zep mainly, will i get a good sound out of this amp?
for those bands, the ad15 will be very nice. maybe an epiphone valve junior and an od pedal for ur gnr and ac/dc
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
also, does guitar center ship to australia?

If not, are there any other american guitar sites that ship to australia apart from ebay?
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
cool, so voox ad15, how many watts is that?

15 Watts and I don't think GC ships down under could be wrong though.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
well the vox 15 is 450 bucks over here and thats out of my price range, my country bloody heighten the prices x2, it's really gay, and the marshall 15 is 200 bucks over here, and that is in my price range, basically will this amp get a good sound at least for tat kind of music? If not, anything in that price range i could get that's better
are you looking second hand? i got a marshall mg30dfx for 200 here in melbourne in new condition. its pretty bad as an amp, i can never get the sound i want but i usually find something interesting enough (only just) along the way to finding it. but it was cheap and has done alright for a while. looking to upgrade at the moment but i have no idea what to get.
to be honest, an Epiphone/Legacy Valve Junior is your best option. It is 5 watts and has a much better tone to it than that marshall has. I wish I knew about the valve junior when I first started on guitar. P.S I started on a Marshall MG1. P.P.S 5 watts is much louder as valve than solid state. In other words, it will give the marshall a run for it's money. P.P.P.S Also look at the vox pathfinder 15R.
I've almost finished.
anything that works well, basicall i have a squire 10 watt amp now, and i'll get anything that's better than it
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
will 5 watts get a good sound though?

If it's tube, yes. It will also be loud as heck.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\

Watts have nothing to do with how good something sounds.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
guitar center doesnt ship to aus. maybe try ebay.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\

to duplicate the loudness of an amp you need x10 its watts. so go to a store, find a tube amp that is 50 watt, and crank it to 50%, that is how loud a 5 watt is.

i am currently looking into a 1/2 watt tube amp (and even at 1/2 watt its pretty loud for a condo) and I am looking at ways (mods) to make it quietter.
Quote by DrEvil
to duplicate the loudness of an amp you need x10 its watts. so go to a store, find a tube amp that is 50 watt, and crank it to 50%, that is how loud a 5 watt is.

...how about no. That doesn't work very well I believe. Besides, having the volume knob half way often isn't the same as using half the volume.

You see, watts don't directly affect volume. And with this I mean, if you take one 30 watt amp and compare it to an another 30 watt amp, one will sound louder. Of course you can make general guidelines, and they're pretty good, but a 5 watt isn't loud enough to gig with (unless it's miced) while a 50 watt on half the volume probably is.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Yes, I wish I had known about it when I started, I would have never bought the Marshall. Stick an OD in front of it and you'll be fine.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Sorry, OD stands for an overdrive, or distortion pedal (in case that's what you were wondering.) I would personally go for the VJ because those bands get their sound from cranking tube amps. At 5 watts you could most likely turn it up loud enough and still be at a reasonable volume. The pedal would just be for if you needed more distortion or had to play quietish.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

okay, cool, but that thing only has one switch by the looks of it, how am i supposed to change the settings like the tone and crap.
You can't really do any EQ stuff with it, but I like the tone. look up some demo's on youtube real quik then come back and tell me what you think.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

well how would you even change it from clean to overdrive? And how could i go from trebly AC/DC to bassy stuff. I just don't understand how i could change these things with just a volume switch
Since when has AC/DC been trebly? At lower volumes a tube amp like this will be clean. As you turn it up, it starts to naturally overdrive.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Okay, almost forgot about the Valveking Royal 8. Valvekings are kickass, and all tube!
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ac/Dc is very trebly, ihave to to turn up the trebl on my crap squire amp to get that classic Ac/Dc sound. And doesn't that mean that when it's clean it's very soft, how could i get it to a high volume level while it's still clean?
Gain: I think he just cranks it, but you would probably set it between 2 and 5.
Bass: 5-7
Mid : 5
Treb: 6

That is generally what their Marshalls are set at.

As for the Valve Junior. I have one, and you definitely need an overdrive pedal to get classic rock like ACDC. I have a Bad Monkey on the way for this exact reason. Cost me 80 bucks on eBay, but you can find them in online stores for the same price.

The Vox AD15VT is only $360 at if you're located in Brisbane. I'm up far north and shipping would be about 40 bucks for it I guess. http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/vox/index.htm
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Mar 9, 2008,
If you get a Valve Junior and a Bad Monkey, the Bad Monkey has some sort of EQ knobs I believe. Other than that, your guitar. It has volume and tone knobs for a reason, use them!
Quote by Lunchbox362
Yeah, get yourself a good cheap overdrive (Digitech Bad Monkey, or Behringer TO800), and that'll get you all the extra sounds you need.

And damn, how I wish that sort of stuff had been available when I was starting out...
while the microcube is a good amp, a valve junior would be better. by the way, an OD is an overdrive pedal. it is like distortion... I think...
I've almost finished.
my moneys on a VJ and a graphic EQ

you can shape your tone AND add a volume boost to make it OD earlier

mine has a 15DB volume boost, and that, and some of the levels boosted a bit makes my amp OD on like gain-3, volume-2

danelectro fish n chips
boss ge-7
mxr 6/10 band eq

cheap to epensive there. but theyll all get the job done. i think you'll benefit much more from an EQ pedal than an OD wih the VJ

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.