Did you guys switch to an electric guitar after you got decent at the acoustic guitar? At what time frame/ skill level was this? I love my acoustic, but most of the stuff I listen to (Opeth, Metallica, Radiohead, Muse etc) use electric guitars, and I want to get that sound. I've been playing for about 10 months. As for my skill level, I am pretty good with open chords, and I'm starting to get smooth with Barre Chords. I can play a few scales, and appregios, at say about 160 bpm. I am terrible at fingerpicking, but I'm finally starting to get better. I haven't really started power chords, and I can play the 2nd Solo from WIndopane by Opeth. Should I consider getting an electric, or how long should I wait?
get a cheap electric to start with.
when you get better, buy something to suit your taste.
good luck getting muse's sound though.
I bought an electric about 2 years after I started playing acoustic. For me, it wasn't about waiting to switch, but that I just felt like I wanted to play some different stuff now and then. Buy an electric when you want to, not when you think you're ready, or good enough. Also, don't think of it as "switching." You can still play the acoustic too...nobody's stopping you from enjoying both.
Yeah they're very different instruments. I learned to play on electric, played EG for over 10 years and have only recently started playing acoustic.. It's much easier to switch from acoustic to electric though..

If you wanna play electric then go buy one, there's no rules that say you have to be able to do certain things before getting an electric. It's a completey different beast to acoustic guitar so it's not like you have to choose 1 or the other, play both.
I honestly don't see myself ever getting an electric. Just not my style. I prefer acoustic music by far and love the acoustic versions of popular songs more than the original version. I do see myself getting an electric acoustic at some point though.
I just play both. I mainly practice on the acoustic tho, but if the song demands it I play it on electric.
I play acoustic, im decent but not amazing. I played for about a year and a month, and now im starting to save for an electric. I think acoustics are good for occasions. You know, sitting around the campfires, chillen on the beach. And to me electric is more of skill. Who dosent like to show off there cool solo at an awesome band place.
i play acoustic too....and like you i listen to radiohead, metallica....etc etc...and i want that sound too when i play those songs and u can only get "that sound" on an electric...ive been playing for like 12 years no on and off..and im planning to buy an electric soon...i just never had the chance to get an electric sooner...

;-)
Quote by joyal09
And to me electric is more of skill. Who dosent like to show off there cool solo at an awesome band place.

Wow, that is ignorant.
Quote by jinkymann
get a cheap electric to start with.
when you get better, buy something to suit your taste.
good luck getting muse's sound though.

I gotta disagree with you here. If by cheap, price maybe, but don't run off and get a First Act because you saw it at Walmart. You can get a used Strat for under $200 that will sound scores better than any "first electric" type piece of ****. With a good $50 practice amp, and maybe an effects pedal, you'd be set for a while just tinkering with it. Then down the road get a better amp for those "signature" sounds you want.
Quote by AndyH
I gotta disagree with you here. If by cheap, price maybe, but don't run off and get a First Act because you saw it at Walmart. You can get a used Strat for under $200 that will sound scores better than any "first electric" type piece of ****. With a good $50 practice amp, and maybe an effects pedal, you'd be set for a while just tinkering with it. Then down the road get a better amp for those "signature" sounds you want.

I agree with this. Go used. But, we're talking Squire Strat, no? Not Strat Strat?
My friend / teacher recommended an Ibanez or Epiphone Les Paul. What are your thoughts on that?
I agree, It is much easyer to move from electric to Acoustic, I move to Acoustic from the electric guitar. Which was harder than I thought and Im getting the hang of it, as well as enjoying it.
I started on acoustic and even though I play electric more frequently these days I enjoy the intimacy of acoustics more than electrics.

I think that playing acoustics for the early part of my playing shaped how I now approach guitar in general.