Page 1 of 2
It seems that nowadays the in thing is to report people willy nilly. It doesn't really make sense to me and it simply makes people look like ass hats. Discuss.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
sometimes it really needs it. such ass yesterday when someone made a thread consisting of this "fx22fd" and thats it. that needs a good ol' reporting.

now i wont do it, but im pretty sure someone is going to report this thread to. its spam bro, people dont like it.
I've seen a lot of sissy reports. It doesn't seem right to report someone for trivial matters considering this is the pit..

Then again some of'em have been helpful.

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
sometimes it really needs it. such ass yesterday when someone made a thread consisting of this "fx22fd" and thats it. that needs a good ol' reporting.

now i wont do it, but im pretty sure someone is going to report this thread to. its spam bro, people dont like it.

HI GUYS!
Well you dont want spam and other crap taking up the first page do you?
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

The thing is, this thread isn't spam. It's essentially discussing the finger pointers that seem to flood the threads of the now.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

now, i'm not going to say anything harsh, as you had some good advice in the suicide thread, but i'm just going to suggest you take a look down at your join date, and then take a look back at your post.
Quote by richiemokkiez
I've seen a lot of sissy reports. It doesn't seem right to report someone for trivial matters considering this is the pit..

Then again some of'em have been helpful.

the pit from what ive seen so far can go both ways. it can be pandemonium, or bootcamp. today i saw a thread that consisted of nothing but "K" go on for about 2 hours, but then i got a warning for quoting a picture of a fruit. not "THE" fruit that we all know, just "A" fruit. but ya, alot of the time when stuff gets reported its for good reason.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
now, i'm not going to say anything harsh, as you had some good advice in the suicide thread, but i'm just going to suggest you take a look down at your join date, and then take a look back at your post.

ive seen tons of stupid crap in the 3 days ive been here. honestly all this Join date nonsense is just idiocy. theres loads of trolls, but then every so often comes along someone who is actually intelligent. im getting sick of that,
There are set rules that you have to follow. They are there to keep this a spam free, and easy site to access. If you are not following the rules, then you should report it. If it is reported, and it seems there is no reason for the report, then the mods will take no action. If they feel it is suitable for a closed thread, then so be it.

If you read the rules, that were posted no more then a week than a week ago, and follow said rules, there will be no reason for reporting.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
the pit from what ive seen so far can go both ways. it can be pandemonium, or bootcamp. today i saw a thread that consisted of nothing but "K" go on for about 2 hours, but then i got a warning for quoting a picture of a fruit. not "THE" fruit that we all know, just "A" fruit. but ya, alot of the time when stuff gets reported its for good reason.

I could argue otherwise. Shouldn't it be up to the mods to root out the evils of UG?
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Generalpwnt
I could argue otherwise. Shouldn't it be up to the mods to root out the evils of UG?

well it is. thats what i just said. but sometimes i guess theyre just on lunch break or something, and when they get back they just clean up all the messes that occured in their absence really quickly.
i dunno, it seems the mods have gotten alot stricter, making all memes (save caturday) a warn- oder bannable offense. personally, i think it's gone a little too far, but it's their site and they can do whatever they want. if anybody wants free reign and no rules they can always go to 4chan (don't)
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
ive seen tons of stupid crap in the 3 days ive been here. honestly all this Join date nonsense is just idiocy. theres loads of trolls, but then every so often comes along someone who is actually intelligent. im getting sick of that,

We'll be ready for 'em. Don't you worry.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Hmm... a civilized, intelligent n00b? Something is amiss!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
well it is. thats what i just said. but sometimes i guess theyre just on lunch break or something, and when they get back they just clean up all the messes that occured in their absence really quickly.

The only food mods eat is spam.

And there sure is a ****ing lot of it around here.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by CoreysMonster
i dunno, it seems the mods have gotten alot stricter, making all memes (save caturday) a warn- oder bannable offense. personally, i think it's gone a little too far, but it's their site and they can do whatever they want. if anybody wants free reign and no rules they can always go to 4chan (don't)

i can't comment, because i haven't been here long enough, and haven't really met any except Carmel-I, but a lot of people say that. but like i said before, they cant be here all the time, but when they are they have to clean up hours worth of stupidity in a short time, and maybe thats why it seems strict and harsh. i can sorta understand why there would be a zero tolerance deal goin on.

EDIT:
Quote by Metal_Rich
We'll be ready for 'em. Don't you worry.

Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

It's not all idiocy considering the nature of some of your posts.. Not that I'm saying join dates are the defining factor in the forum..

Hell, i've been using this site for quite some time merely for the tabs. Then I stumbled across the forum. Lotsa helpful people in the distinct sub forums. The pit, well it's for the laughs and general stuff to me..

Maybe you should go to the other forums like the music forums if you really can't stand the nonsense, trollers, spammers and the majority of 'unintelligent' people you speak of here.
HI GUYS!
Last edited by richiemokkiez at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by richiemokkiez
It's not all idiocy considering the nature of some of your posts..

can't be serious ALL day long.....i laid the smack down on mental instability in that suicide thread however.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
can't be serious ALL day long.....i laid the smack down on mental instability in that suicide thread however.

We'll, you'd better live up to your self proclaimed "Greatest March 08er".

Muahahahaha
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

how would you know what people like?
you've been here three days!
stop acting like you know the place
oh well, at least you're a respectable noob
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by saosin22533

One of the few 08's I've seen that actually has a sig and an avatar.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by saosin22533

Because nobody likes spam. when you open your email inbox and see a bunch of emails about how to enlarge your penis do you like seeing all that? nooooooooo. this doesn't just relate to this website and therefore i can comment on this. why is there a massive industry devoted to anti-virus, and guess what spam blockers. do you know why? because every single person with an internet connection dislikes spam. have i got my point across yet? dont act so high and mighty just because you've been registered longer on an internet forum than i have. i treat most of you people with respect. should i ask any different for myself?
oh well, at least you're a respectable senior member somewhat, although you still aren't a "senior member"
i joined the forums so that i can interact with other guitarists. am i supposed to sit here and shut up while the big boys talk, and i just wait till im "3 months old" before i utter a word? no! if i feel like commenting on something, ill do it. this is ridiculous. even some of the more intelligent users here expect me to be a total moron, and completely ignorant to the way forums work. I understand the basic principles, and if that is kind of strange for someone of my "e-age" so be it. im getting sick and tired of everything i say being quoted with "shut up you're a n00b, what the hell do you know", if im commenting on something, obviously i do know something about the subject under discussion ya i just joined woopdee friggin do.

/rant
Last edited by DaStrat0blast3r at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by saosin22533

Spam is an internet-wide problem, and anyone who ever used the internet knows and hates it, therefore your post is really invalid.

Don't act all high and mighty because he's an 08'er and you're a 07'er, I've registered before the two of you, but you don't see me taking the piss out of people because of this.

To the original question, the moderators on this site are moderating the forums voluntarily, they get no payment whatsoever for their services, which means that they're not going to be sitting on the computer skimming through posts for hours upon hours a day.
That's the reason there is a report button, to help the moderators spot posts that break the rules, so instead of checking every post in the forum, they can just check their inbox and check all of the reports.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
Spam is an internet-wide problem, and anyone who ever used the internet knows and hates it, therefore your post is really invalid.

Don't act all high and mighty because he's an 08'er and you're a 07'er, I've registered before the two of you, but you don't see me taking the piss out of people because of this.

To the original question, the moderators on this site are moderating the forums voluntarily, they get no payment whatsoever for their services, which means that they're not going to be sitting on the computer skimming through posts for hours upon hours a day.
That's the reason there is a report button, to help the moderators spot posts that break the rules, so instead of checking every post in the forum, they can just check their inbox and check all of the reports.

woah that was pretty freaky

great minds...
Quote by Generalpwnt
It seems that nowadays the in thing is to report people willy nilly. It doesn't really make sense to me and it simply makes people look like ass hats. Discuss.

people who report bad posts and threads help us out in a massive way, and are part of the reason that this forum isn't a complete shithole.

the only thing that really needs to be noted is:

a post/thread only needs to be reported ONCE

it doesn't help to report something that has already been reported by someone else. this is why we require you to say "*reported*" when you report a port or thread, so everyone else knows it has already been reported and they don't have to do it. please avoid reporting things multiple times wherever possible.

reporting doesn't harm anyone besides those who are being reported - so follow the rules, don't fill our forums with crap posts, and you won't have to concern yourself with it.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by BassistGal

I understand the reasoning behind the report button and such, but what irks me is how much it's used nowadays. When I first joined this forum back in 05 you hardly saw this kind of blatant butt hurt.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Generalpwnt
I understand the reasoning behind the report button and such, but what irks me is how much it's used nowadays. When I first joined this forum back in 05 you hardly saw this kind of blatant butt hurt.

and i rarely saw people being reported in 2003 but that's besides the point. the forum is a very different place now. we have a much larger user base, and many of those users are young and do not follow the most basic of rules. if we weren't increasingly strict as time went on, the pit probably wouldn't still be a part of the site today.
from daylight...
...into darkness
i think people just take this site too seriously or spend entirely too much time here which for some ungodly reason makes them think they have to help monitor this place and report anything that is even remotely close to infringing on a rule. now i can understand it if someone makes a post that blatantly violates the rules and is unnecessary (like the dude that posted pics of people eating **** and pooping last night) but when someone gets reported and warned/banned for something as dumb as "the fruit that shall not be named" or anything like that it's rediculous.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r

lol.

Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by inhatredofme
but when someone gets reported and warned/banned for something as dumb as "the fruit that shall not be named" or anything like that it's rediculous.

that thing is pretty out of hand. yesterday i got a warning for a picture of a fruit. not THE fruit, A fruit....and it was a quote, i didnt even originally post it, and when i discovered the serious nature of this i deleted it but still got the warning.

i dunno, i guess its either gotta be strict, or absolute chaos, and to be honest id rather have strict.
Ive never reported anything i think. I just fail to see the point and other people usually do it so i never have to. lol
I've reported once, but that was when those people spammed up the forums yesterday with their topic of selling phones and computers :P
Quote by imdeth
Penises look much better than vaginas in my opinion. A vagina looks like an axe wound.
Quote by burrit0
I have never reported anyone, and I don't plan too either.

same, don't see the fun in reporting, just makes people look like a kiss ass to me
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Atomic48
*Reported*

I'm disappointed that this wasn't the first reply
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
As I'm sure this thread isn't going to get closed (It was reported hours ago)...

People are assholes. Let's face it. Now let's picture the same old assholes, but add a level of annonyminity to it, BLAM! You've got the hate machine that is The Pit.

Also, I think mods just glance at a report sheet and close the thread regardless, so if some asshat wants to close a thread, it gets closed as quick as.

I only really report general spam and wrong forum crap, and sometimes if someone bumps stuff in R&R, cos it annoys the **** out of me >_<
Half the people on this site don't even know what spam is.

Whenever a thread isn't about politics, religion or something falling into a toilet they hope it qualifies as spam and attempt to screw someone.
Page 1 of 2