well,more specifically,will you be good at electric if you've been playing acoustic for 2 years and practise whenever you can?

don't know..i'm kinda worried about getting my guitar at about the end of this year...

will you be able to play stuff with less practise because you've played acoustic for some time already?
Well, you'll be able to play just as well as you could on an acoustic. A guitar's a guitar, man.
except if u play acoustic and u just play chords and strum itll be different on acoustic if ur playing fast **** and palm muting and picking individual notes itll be different, but other than than acoustic would help with finger placement and such
the fretting hand will be well developed but u'll need to get used to the picking and palm muting and stuff.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
but will you seem to improve much faster compared to people who have less experience in acosutic guitar?
Quote by NoobOnZone
but will you seem to improve much faster compared to people who have less experience in acosutic guitar?

Some people are freaks. It took me 6 months to learn *Seek and Destroy* by
Metallica. It was my first song. I have another friend that learned it in like a week.
People just progress at different time periods. But about that acoustic...
You should find playing an electric guitar very easy...In fact..if you picked up a
strat...it would practically play itself
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by NoobOnZone

if you start on an acoustic and play for 2 years, you'll know how to play the electirc. but don't expect it to be a magic jump off technique.

most likely, you've been playing a different style. Less fast runs, different sitting posture, more open chords.

so, you will have a huge head start over someone who never played, and playing with a higher action will give you an appreciation for bends and ringing out notes,

But if you never worked on Palm muting, shredding and other typical high gain playing techniques then you wont be as far along as a guy who started on an electric 2 years prior.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It'll help for hand strength but not much of the electric techniques. the first time I picked up an electric I was totally lost, I didn't even know what a power chord was.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Some people are freaks. It took me 6 months to learn *Seek and Destroy* by
Metallica. It was my first song. I have another friend that learned it in like a week.
People just progress at different time periods. But about that acoustic...
You should find playing an electric guitar very easy...In fact..if you picked up a
strat...it would practically play itself

yeah, withing 8 months I had sweeping down pat,
but had problems improv'ing

Acoustic = better handstrength
Electric = better creativity (usually, as bends will come much easier)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
It is better imo to start on an acoustic becasue it is harder to make chords ring clear. and this will in the long run will be an advantage
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
^come on. it's just different it's not better if it doesnt suit your style of play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
acoustic guitars (generally) have higher string tension and higher action. so if you are good on acoustic, electric will be a breeze. if you can do all the cowboy chords and barre chords on an acoustic, your left hand techniques will be great on an electric. if you can get good on scales too, god bless you.

your right hand, for single note melodies might need some work if you are used to acoustic. with the gain cranked, unplayed strings will ring harmonics (generally not desired). you will need to learn muting techniques to them quiet during soloing.

there are no techniques unique to electric, but ones that are more common are
pinch harmonics
"dimebag" harmonics
chunking
palm muting
sweep picking

if you can make these sound good on an acoustic, your electric skills will be awesome.

p.s. the only thing that i can think of that will be a learning curve from acoustic to electric is getting used to the narrower neck and the lighter string gauges. but i think that will be negligible. to be the devil's advocate, i was thrown off by my friends electric guitar with 9's for the strings, it felt sloppy; i'm used to 12's on my electric and 13's on my acoustic.
Last edited by brentonlatour at Mar 8, 2008,