K so.. I ordered an ashdown mag 1x15 deep cabinet at my local music store to add onto my 4x10 MAG 300 combo. I think right now my amp is only putting out 187W to the 4x10 at 8 ohms. Now when I add on the new cab, it will be using the full potential 305W at 4ohms each cab.

How much of a difference should I notice once I plug this baby in, compared to just my 4x10?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-115-1X15-Deep-Bass-Cabinet?sku=605030
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Well, you'll have twice the power at you did before which is always a good thing!

You should notice there being a distinct "filling out" of the low end. You'll get a more bassy tone and the low notes should sound sweet.

I've recently gone from a 1x15 to a 4x10 + tweeter and the low end difference is certainly noticable but the high end now just sparkles.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
yeah but.. twice the power does not mean twice the volume. I do notice if I tune to Drop C my bottom end sort of goes to crap at high volumes. But will I be surprised on how difference 1 speaker will make?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
I believe it would, I originally owned Jon's amp and now own the amp in my sig. The low end difference is astounding, despite the fact that the frequency response for my cab is apparently 60Hz to 19 kHz whereas the ashdown is 17Hz to 30KHz. yet my GK cab has tons more low end, presumably because of the fact it's a 2x12 cab.

This is why I don't trust specs and numbers for how good a product is.

So I'd say yes, you will feel much more low end.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by -zj*
yeah but.. twice the power does not mean twice the volume. I do notice if I tune to Drop C my bottom end sort of goes to crap at high volumes. But will I be surprised on how difference 1 speaker will make?

You'r correct there will only be a 10% increase in audible loudness for double the watts, to double your accoustic power you need ten times the watts.

Volume and loudness are two different things, four 25 watt speakers will sound louder than than one 100 watt speaker because of the greater volume of sound created.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Forcemaster
I believe it would, I originally owned Jon's amp and now own the amp in my sig. The low end difference is astounding, despite the fact that the frequency response for my cab is apparently 60Hz to 19 kHz whereas the ashdown is 17Hz to 30KHz. yet my GK cab has tons more low end, presumably because of the fact it's a 2x12 cab.

This is why I don't trust specs and numbers for how good a product is.

So I'd say yes, you will feel much more low end.

The specs say 17hz response because it has a sub-harmonic generator, which is really just an octave pedal built into the amp. It plays one octave below the note being played simultaneously. It's just a setting you can flick on or off and the volume of it.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Last edited by -zj* at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by -zj*
The specs say 17hz response because it has a sub-harmonic generator, which is really just an octave pedal built into the amp. It plays one octave below the note being played simultaneously.

I know, as I said, I owned the amp for 18 months. And I also know that the octave functions doesn't track at all below a C on the A string. If that.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
I know, as I said, I owned the amp for 18 months. And I also know that the octave functions doesn't track at all below a C on the A string. If that.

Yes it does lol, it's just not near as noticable as the notes above it. I just tested it and yeah you're right its pretty noticable at C and higher, but below that it still works its just not near as loud. I'm not sure why this is. It's kind of a pointless feature if I say so myself.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
you should be pleasantly suprised with your new "bottom end". if your gonna stack 'em, put the 1x15 on the bottom. you want that thing on the floor. on a stage the bottom cab will resonate through the floor, noticably increasing the bottom end.
also, if any cab has casters, removing the casters for "showtime" will also do the same, by increasing the surface area of contact to the stage or floor.
+1 to 83LPS. I took the casters off my 100w amp and was somehow able to be heard fine against 240w of guitars, drums and vocals. Big difference.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you should be pleasantly suprised with your new "bottom end". if your gonna stack 'em, put the 1x15 on the bottom. you want that thing on the floor. on a stage the bottom cab will resonate through the floor, noticably increasing the bottom end.
also, if any cab has casters, removing the casters for "showtime" will also do the same, by increasing the surface area of contact to the stage or floor.

Excellent advice from a voice of experience.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
are casters wheels? if so my mag already has none. And yeah I was already planning on putting the 1x15 on the bottom.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Also.. For a speaker cable, does it make any difference whether I buy a $90 monster cable, or a cheap ass $20 cable? Sound clarity? Static/fuzz reduction? What's the big difference? Or is it just a gimmick..
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Quote by -zj*
Also.. For a speaker cable, does it make any difference whether I buy a $90 monster cable, or a cheap ass $20 cable? Sound clarity? Static/fuzz reduction? What's the big difference? Or is it just a gimmick..

Monster claim better sound quality. However most (i.e. all) people can't tell the difference,get the cheap one.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Sounds good. I'll probably get something mid-range.

But yeah, when the cab comes in I'll definitely post some pics of the whole rig beside my bass
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Quote by -zj*

i say get the best cable you can afford. the shielding on a high quality cable will reduce the buzz. Monster speaker cables in a 3 or 6ft length are not terribly expensive, and well worth the money!

Edit: oh, yes. casters are wheels.
Quote by -zj*
are casters wheels? if so my mag already has none. And yeah I was already planning on putting the 1x15 on the bottom.

If youre gonna put casters on. Put them on the side. That way you can still wheel it about and have the convenience of wheels but the tonal quality of a "grounded" cab.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
If youre gonna put casters on. Put them on the side. That way you can still wheel it about and have the convenience of wheels but the tonal quality of a "grounded" cab.

excellent suggestion!!
and btw, Jon. thanks for nixing the sig!
Be sure that if your playing loud in your house out of the 1x15 that its not directly on the ground. The vibrations can rattle cups, plates and other breakables off of shelves... trust me haha. I put an old snare drum under mine and it works well to lessen the vibrations. That is the best sounding cabinet combination imo. You will hear the difference once you plug into it. Night and day. enjoy!
Quote by Jonnomainman

You can run into a problem with casters on the side when playing and that is bad vibrations at certain frequencies; this did actualy happen to me.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You can run into a problem with casters on the side when playing and that is bad vibrations at certain frequencies; this did actualy happen to me.

the casters on my cab are removable, as to say, they simply un-plug from their mounts. as John Swift has mentioned, i would not install, any non-removable casters, to the side of any cab. those would cause un-wanted rattles. good point John!
Quote by esposito123
Be sure that if your playing loud in your house out of the 1x15 that its not directly on the ground. The vibrations can rattle cups, plates and other breakables off of shelves... trust me haha. I put an old snare drum under mine and it works well to lessen the vibrations. That is the best sounding cabinet combination imo. You will hear the difference once you plug into it. Night and day. enjoy!

I totally know what you mean with the rattling ordeal.. lol...... just with my 4x10 i've rattled and ended up breaking 2 glasses, and a plate because they were just in my room near the edge of a surface.

I must say I'm pretty stoked for my 1x15 now

As for casters, at times I have actually thought about putting some on as removables. Because carrying around this damn 98lb combo is a bitch!! I usually need another person to help me.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Rubber (or whatever compound they use) wheeled casters are better than plastic as they do rattle less, also when rolling your gear down a club/bar/strip joint etc plastic always seem to stop at the slightest obstacle.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn