Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these stratocasters i.e. are they reasonably priced etc.

I'm thinking of buying one of these three, but they're different prices so I'm not sure which one would be best. I'll be going into the store to try them out first, but has anyone ever owned any of these and can give me an idea what they're like?

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-American-Stratocaster,-Black,-MN~ID~2356.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Stratocaster,-3-Colour-Sunburst,-MN~ID~2357.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender---American-Deluxe-Stratocaster,-MN~ID~2335.asp

Thanks
go for http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product...-MN~ID~2356.asp
the other ones are a rip off if you are buying American made. sunburst isnt worth the cost and deluxe model isnt really different from American standard.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
The biggest difference is in the pickups, but none of the fender pickups are that great anyway so paying that kind of extra money for different pickups that you will probably take out anyway isn't a great idea.

If it were me I'd get a mexican strat and get some good aftermarket pickups with the money you saved. Then take it to a shop for a pro setup. In the end you will have a guitar that sounds and plays better than the American strat and you will pay less for it. Resale won't be as high but I would hope that you aren't buying this with the idea of just selling it again.
Not taking any online orders.
If you can afford it, the Deluxe is definately better. Yes, some of the extra cash is going to cosmetic stuff and doesn't make it play better. However, the pickups and tremolo are better. The Deluxe also has the S1 switch which gives you 5 more tone options. Those will help your playing.
Ok thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the cheaper of those three anyway, just wondering if anyone would give me a reason to get one of the others.

What's better about a mexican strat then? Is it just cheaper? And what would the difference in pick-ups be if I followed your idea? What's wrong with the fender pick-ups exactly?
Quote by CorduroyEW
If it were me I'd get a mexican strat and get some good aftermarket pickups with the money you saved. Then take it to a shop for a pro setup. In the end you will have a guitar that sounds and plays better than the American strat and you will pay less for it. Resale won't be as high but I would hope that you aren't buying this with the idea of just selling it again.

I strongly disagree. I did that, and when I found my US Strat I felt like I'd wasted my money trying to be clever. The mexi made a great gift for a close friend, though.

"You can pull a ducks neck all you want, but you won't make it a swan."
-old southern saying-
Quote by Chilly Breeze
Ok thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the cheaper of those three anyway, just wondering if anyone would give me a reason to get one of the others.

What's better about a mexican strat then? Is it just cheaper? And what would the difference in pick-ups be if I followed your idea? What's wrong with the fender pick-ups exactly?

the mexican strat has absolutly horible pickups that will have to be replaced. It's got a chunkier neck, and it's got 1 less fret. As a new guitar untouched the mexican strat isn't as good, but the price is much lower which give you the extra money to get it setup by a pro which will make it play better than an American and you will still have money to upgraid the pups which will then make it sound better than the American.

Fender pickups in general are poor quality. They are made with plastic bobbins with the same size pole peices that are just pushed through more or less to give you your stagger. The plastic bobbins kill your high end and make the pickup sound nasal while the fake stagger kills your string balance. The few fender pickups that are made with fiber bobbins are still CNC macnine wound which gives them unpleasant spikes in tone in places where you wouldn't want them. They are lacking in output, and warmth, and they are made in a production line by people who don't like their job and don't care if they aren't doing it well so that makes for low QC.
Not taking any online orders.
So let's say for argument's sake that I agree with you (Corduroy) and I want to do as you suggested, how much would it cost for the guitar + pick-ups that are better than fenders + pro set-up?
Go for something preowned, just as good to play, ofden better to play because of previous adjustments. Also a hell of a lot cheaper!
Maybe http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=5932&catid=70&manid=33&quantity=1&product=Fender+Stratocaster+%28USA%29+Standard+2004%2C+Re%2DSprayed+White%2C+Pre+%2D+Owned+EC%2B+2004
really depends on your personal preferences
Quote by tymatt67
kinky = using a feather , perverted = using whole chicken.

Quote by del monte
Go for something preowned, just as good to play, ofden better to play because of previous adjustments. Also a hell of a lot cheaper!
Maybe http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=5932&catid=70&manid=33&quantity=1&product=Fender+Stratocaster+%28USA%29+Standard+2004%2C+Re%2DSprayed+White%2C+Pre+%2D+Owned+EC%2B+2004
really depends on your personal preferences

That one is very nice looking. What's the difference between those pickups and the ones on the guitars I linked to?
I agree with everything said, especially the part about aftermarket pickups because my friend actually just did that.

But the first one one will help you pick upmore chicks.

And that's what's REALLY important.
Quote by Chilly Breeze
That one is very nice looking. What's the difference between those pickups and the ones on the guitars I linked to?

it has noiseless pickups, i presume the previous owner has put them on. It also says there is a Eric Clapton Tone Boost System installed, no idea what that is but it sounds good to me :P
Quote by tymatt67

Quote by del monte
it has noiseless pickups, i presume the previous owner has put them on. It also says there is a Eric Clapton Tone Boost System installed, no idea what that is but it sounds good to me :P

I don't know what noiseless pickups are though, that's what I was asking
Quote by Chilly Breeze
I don't know what noiseless pickups are though, that's what I was asking

i think noiseless pickups are supposed to have a very pure sound with absoluteley no hum
Quote by tymatt67

So what if I paid £800 for that deluxe strat, then at a later date, when I have a better idea what kind of pickups I want, I changed the pickups on that guitar? Would I not then have a better guitar than a mexican strat with the same pickups? (taking into account the tremelo system and the general build of the guitar etc.)
Quote by CorduroyEW
If it were me I'd get a mexican strat and get some good aftermarket pickups with the money you saved. Then take it to a shop for a pro setup. In the end you will have a guitar that sounds and plays better than the American strat and you will pay less for it.

This man speaks the truth. That's exactly what I'm doing and I've just swapped the pickups and need to take it for a set-up.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
This man speaks the truth. That's exactly what I'm doing and I've just swapped the pickups and need to take it for a set-up.

So how much will it cost you in total for all of that?

There's a couple of things stopping me from doing it. First, convenience i.e. I could just walk in a shop today, pay £550 and walk out with a guitar.

Secondly, I don't really know enough about different pickups to be able to make a decision about what kind to get. If I got a mexican strat now and changed the pickups, I'd be purely going off other people's opinions, rather than my own experience. I mean, for all I know, I might prefer the fender pickups anyway.

I'll probably just get the cheaper one of those american strats, and play it for a while, then if I don't like the pickups, I can change them later.
go for the cheaper american standard, play it for a while until you decide about the pickups. there are a lot of choices for replacement pickups, i went for the fender texas specials which are great but then thats my choice. it all depends on what sound you want to get and what music you play.

i wouldn't get a mexican strat unless you don't have the cash for an american, the quality isn't there and you would probably regret not spending that bit more. the price looked good to me, i don't think you will do much better.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
go for the cheaper american standard, play it for a while until you decide about the pickups. there are a lot of choices for replacement pickups, i went for the fender texas specials which are great but then thats my choice. it all depends on what sound you want to get and what music you play.

i wouldn't get a mexican strat unless you don't have the cash for an american, the quality isn't there and you would probably regret not spending that bit more. the price looked good to me, i don't think you will do much better.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Either way, £580 isn't that much really and I don't think I'd regret it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Careful with the "noiseless" pickups

They take some of the stratyness out of the strat if you know what I mean.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Careful with the "noiseless" pickups

They take some of the stratyness out of the strat if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I get you. I'm just gonna go for the straight up, off the shelf strat, then go from there as far as pickups etc. go.
Quote by Chilly Breeze
Yeah, I get you. I'm just gonna go for the straight up, off the shelf strat, then go from there as far as pickups etc. go.

I think this is your best bet. You'll be very happy with it I'm sure. And really, the Fender pups are not total crap.... it's just a good upgrade for later on.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
For pickups, I would mix it up as opposed to going for a striaght set. eBay is always a good place to look.

*cough*Big Dipper neck, Texas Special middle, Seymour Duncan rail bridge*cough*
When I compared them, I much preferred the Highway One Series Strats to the American Standards and the Hwy1s are cheaper!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit