Yeah i made a thread about a tone pedal before but i deleted it aftyer i thought up this.

Anyways heres what ive come up with for a huge pedal project (i might add more to it later.

4 tone knobs treble, bass , mid treble and mid bass

2 switches. volume boost and mid boost.

Bt the realy cool thing i thought was realy cool/origional is that im going to have a third switch. this switches between the output jack (where you would plug into your amp) and a mini speaker that would run of its own 9 volt battery.

Ths way your pluged in wherever you go.

I was thinking of adding a grace/big daddy distortion curcuit aswell

I guess this isnt realy a pedal though

what do you guys think? origional? lame?
That sounds prime! I bags one of the free prototype trial issues....
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
Quote by S-Gsus
That sounds prime! I bags one of the free prototype trial issues....

haha thanks il mail ya one

what wattage for the mini amp would be best?

i have a half watt speaker and a 1 watt speaker but i might have a 2 watt speaker somewhere. nothing massive just enough to hear yourself.

il have to get my hands on another soldering iron though.

edit: **** you live in australia! i actualy could mail you a prototype
I think a 1 watt speaker would be fine for practising if you're on a tour bus or something. 2 watt would be cool, but added size isn't something everyone values, so unless you can get them smaller (I don't know anything about this kinda thing) I'd stick to 1.
Quote by kthxbi
I think a 1 watt speaker would be fine for practising if you're on a tour bus or something. 2 watt would be cool, but added size isn't something everyone values, so unless you can get them smaller (I don't know anything about this kinda thing) I'd stick to 1.

ok il use the one watt speaker then.

i need a name for this aswell.
Fender Tonestack:

Put that right before the the output of a nice transparent clean booster. Well use whatever kind of boost you like.

There you go...For the mid pot replace the 6.8K resistor with a (25K - 10K) pot, you need to experiment.

Volume and mid post would just select a higher value resistor (mid) and lower value resistor (volume) than what your noramly using via a switch.

Breadboard it first and tweak it.
send me a prototype (go the aussies) sounds awsome
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Thanks guys

For the mini amp could i make a marshal ms-2 clone (marshals mini amp) and just wire it to the switch or is it harder? (or easier? )

Also what would i use for the basss boost? Im guessing it would have its own circuit or something.

Quote by Invader Jim
You should implement my version of Grace/Big Daddy. I made it a 2-channel unit with a few extras.

Where could i get a sound sample of this? Or any of the grace/big dady curciuts?
Quote by Invader Jim
From my profile when I'm done prototyping it. Or go to runoffgroove.co m and click the Grace link and there'll be clips of Grace and Big Daddy.

thanks.

edit: i realy like the big daddy distortion but not so much the grace one so i think il use ig daddy. maybe in the futre il get around to adding grace.
Last edited by the_poison125 at Mar 8, 2008,
My bet is that the MS-2 is a fairly complex circuit. You could probably go to Jaycar and get a mini-amp kit for $15, that even comes with a small speaker. I think that runs of a battery aswell!
Not too hard, but not too simple either. I'm sure half of those parts would be hard to find, especially in Australia.
Quote by Invader Jim
As for the name, you could call it: The Poison Box...

(I know, it's gay. ) Use something involving your screen name.

i dont know if my screen name would make a decent name for this =P

i should also add a piezo accoustic pickup in this... ya know... just cuz
Quote by Invader Jim
Hey, man. At least I actually suggested a name.

edit: sorry the smilly face at the end of your post didnt load and i thought you were being a dick about it
im open for suggestions for features and the name

my freind suggested tone***** but i thought that kinda sucked

ive also got a list of the features ive got planed for this (which i will post soon)
Quote by kurtlives91
How about you make a finalzied plan, breadboard it then build it before you start thinking up names and crap like that.

thanks for ruining my fun =\

this isnt going to be the most serious thing in my life you know so i couldn't give half a **** if it didnt work so im naming the fucker when i want to
Quote by the_poison125
thanks for ruining my fun =\

this isnt going to be the most serious thing in my life you know so i couldn't give half a **** if it didnt work so im naming the fucker when i want to

Calm down you n00b. I can tell you have absolutely no idea what your doing electronics wise. Your idea is INCRDEIBLEY basic and is not original by any means. All you ideas are basic and it would be very easy to throw this pedal together.

I gave you most of the idea by showing you the tonestack and saying you need to put it just before the output. You are clueless, you will never build this, I can tell.

Calm down young man, you 13 year olds have hot heads. Please refrain from using profanity.

Invader Jim: Far from
Quote by kurtlives91
Calm down you n00b. I can tell you have absolutely no idea what your doing electronics wise. Your idea is INCRDEIBLEY basic and is not original by any means. All you ideas are basic and it would be very easy to throw this pedal together.

I gave you most of the idea by showing you the tonestack and saying you need to put it just before the output. You are clueless, you will never build this, I can tell.

Calm down young man, you 13 year olds have hot heads. Please refrain from using profanity.

Invader Jim: Far from

Young man? Even if he actually is 13, he's still only 4 years younger than you. I don't know what your problem is, but quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing your posts. Nine out of ten are always some smart-assed, condescending comment. At least this guy is trying to learn. I don't know if you are going through something at home, or if being a tool comes naturally, but please try to keep your bad attitude off the forums. Thanks.

edit: I'm sorry, I meant 9/10 of your posts that I see.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Mar 11, 2008,
Well Jim....

I usually find it better to build a pedal or guitar or amp and get it working first than come up with a name for it. I basically told the kid how to build it. Then I made that comment and he started pissing his pants and swearing. Mature....Your pwned comment was very mature as well.

Your sick and tired of seeing my posts? I am not too excited about see one word posts like "pwned"...hmmm....a contradiction on Jims part, oh yes!

And ya I do have a bad attitude live with it son. Now you tell this here boy all about your gracedaddy and how he should build one.
That's called a joke, man. I'm not gonna sit here and get all hardcore with a keyboard. I don't know you and I'll never meet you, therefore I don't give a flying damn what you think of me.
You're all idiots, this totally isn't a place for arguing over something so trivial. Age means **** - Kerry knew more than both of you (and me for that fact) combined when he was 15.

kurtlives91 - ever heard the expression a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing? You, my friend, need to be less condescending and concentrate on learning more. Helping people out is great, but try to do it more constructively.

the_poison125 - look at the breadboarding and making sure each part of the circuit works individually before you combine them. I suggest you work on the gain stage + tone controls first and get them to a point where you like it (you'll undoubtedly have to do some tinkering with caps). After this, look for a schematic of the Krank Distortus Maximus - it's similar and IMO better sounding than the Grace/Big Daddy. It should be able to run a smallish speaker fine by itself after you remove the tone stack (straight from the output of the LM386, use a 1uf cap to a SPDT switch to choose between the output and speaker).

Another thing - download a program called Tone Stack Calculator and have a play with different tone stacks. I think the Marshall-ey tone stack will suit you much better than the basic Fender tone stack.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."

*cough*

Anyways thank you for all the helpful posts.
like i said this isnt totaly serious.

Quote by the_random_hero
You're all idiots, this totally isn't a place for arguing over something so trivial. Age means **** - Kerry knew more than both of you (and me for that fact) combined when he was 15.

kurtlives91 - ever heard the expression a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing? You, my friend, need to be less condescending and concentrate on learning more. Helping people out is great, but try to do it more constructively.

the_poison125 - look at the breadboarding and making sure each part of the circuit works individually before you combine them. I suggest you work on the gain stage + tone controls first and get them to a point where you like it (you'll undoubtedly have to do some tinkering with caps). After this, look for a schematic of the Krank Distortus Maximus - it's similar and IMO better sounding than the Grace/Big Daddy. It should be able to run a smallish speaker fine by itself after you remove the tone stack (straight from the output of the LM386, use a 1uf cap to a SPDT switch to choose between the output and speaker).

Another thing - download a program called Tone Stack Calculator and have a play with different tone stacks. I think the Marshall-ey tone stack will suit you much better than the basic Fender tone stack.

thanks man also thanks to Invader Jim also

FWI i am 14 but i dont think it seriously matters that much...

Quote by the_random_hero

ALL PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS:

Invader Jim tried to piss me off on purpose. He was doing it for a study in this physology class. Weird I know

I am usually not a dick like that...Sorry all.

O ay Random Hero, why do you say the Marshall tonestack is better? I love playing with the values in the Tone Stack calculator but I have been told that tonestack would not function as well in a pedal. It was designed more for an amp with high voltages and currents running through it...?
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Mar 12, 2008,
It's true, guys. No need to get bent out of shape. I PM'ed kurt last night.

And kurt, what's wrong with my grace daddy? I know it's a simple build, but damn... I chose it because I'm poor and wanted a decent sounding distortion I could build for cheap.

[Next, I'm gonna clone a '63 Kay amp that my friend's dad has. ]
Last edited by Invader Jim at Mar 12, 2008,