I was reading up all the stuff about the Gibson Thunderbird and I wondered, by doesn't anyone improve the design? Isn't it possible to make it have larger cutaways so as to improve higher fret access and put in some better humbuckers like EMGs or something? I mean seriously, it's a sexy bass with a lotta cons.

EDIT: I just realised there's another thread about improving the T-bird. But not exactly on the same level as mine.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Last edited by shotbythepope at Mar 8, 2008,
Well, to solve the neck dive you'd have to change the weight of the head, or increase the weight of the body. Another way to improve the neck dive would be to increase the size of the upper horn.

To improve the tone you'd need to move the neck pickup further from the neck, closer to the bridge.

And if you increase the cutaways, it won't look like a Thunderbird any more.

I just realised, if you do all that, do you know what you'd get?

This:

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well, it would take some serious structural modifications in order to make it balence properly.

In order to give it a sound with any definition, you would need to seriously reconsider the woods used. Through neck combined with extensive use of mahogany isn't particularly tending towards a clear sound in any way (neck though and mahogany both produce a very warm sound, which becomes muddy when it is too warm). Also not helping when they have humbuckers in as well, which don't help with the clarity.

If you like the looks, then that is the only thing the bass has as a pro IMO. It has very little going for it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Hehe. Im not actually looking to buy a T-Bird. I was just daydreaming again.
What if you rebuilt the T-bird with a alder body and maple neck or something?
Sounds like a good idea. And maybe making a slight re-shape in the right wing.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
^I think then people would say "this has very similar specs to most other basses, and it's more expensive!"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Haha. Good point. I like the Jag bass thing.

That's like saying if you take a Gibson bass and improve it, you end up with a Fender.

But if price wasn't a concern, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. Someone should make it into a custom build or something. I went on MS Paint and made this crappy drawing.

IMPROVED HIGHER FRET ACCESS?
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Last edited by shotbythepope at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by shotbythepope

Then it wouldn't be a Thunderbird, it would just a generic Fender style bass in a weirdo shape. I build my thunderbird with a mahogany body and maple neck, and it sounds far less muddy than the Gibsons. Also I used a single coil in the neck as opposed to a humbucker. But it doesn't really sound like a T-bird, it just sounds like a generic mahogany bass with jazz+MM pickups.

But really, you can EQ a very clear, non muddy sound out of a Gibson anyway. It just doesn't really sound good if you use "fender bass" amp settings.

Its just the neckdive (which can be fixed with a good strap) and the upper fret access (which you just have to deal with )
You have any pictures of your custom T-Bird to share?
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
you'd also have to significantly shrink the headstock size, and i'm talking shrinking to a parker style headstock.

also replace the 3 point bridge with a more solid BAII or equivilant bridge and move the strap button to the hell at which point you should have a well balanced bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
you'd also have to significantly shrink the headstock size, and i'm talking shrinking to a parker style headstock.

also replace the 3 point bridge with a more solid BAII or equivilant bridge and move the strap button to the hell at which point you should have a well balanced bass

Move the strap button to hell? Wow that's metal!

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by shotbythepope

That's like saying if you take a Gibson bass and improve it, you end up with a Fender.

But if price wasn't a concern, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. Someone should make it into a custom build or something. I went on MS Paint and made this crappy drawing.

-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I think it's supposed to sound muddy. You might call it "fat"!

But the neckdive is still inexcusable, although I'd imagine the people who want the TBird tone wouldn't play very high up the neck, so high fret access isn't really a must. But still inexcusable!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
That Spector's pretty much the way to go.

In my opinion, Gibson's market share in the bass department is so miniscule that I guess it isn't "worth" them competing with the modern... functional bass crowd. That classic image is a huge thing for a lot of people, and the fact that it makes a sound at all means that someone likes the sound somewhere.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Erm, wait...

If it's broke but nobody really uses it, and the rare person that does use it swears by it, don't fix it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by shotbythepope

You say crappy drawing, however check out the Aces High video by Maiden. Steve Harris is playing that!
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
I was unlucky enough to buy a thunderbird as my first bass . I was thinking of making it a bass for playing metal since I only play metal when I'm sat around at home (So I won't ever have to gig the thing) Are there any changes I could make to optimise it for metal or is it just not worth it?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Improving the thunderbird?

Buy a wood axe and a log fire.

^ +1
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by KillEmAll
You say crappy drawing, however check out the Aces High video by Maiden. Steve Harris is playing that!

No he wasn't. He was playing a custom Lado:

Quote by ele1122
No he wasn't. He was playing a custom Lado:

I don't think Killemall was saying he was playing a T-Bird with part of the body hacked off. I think he was just saying the body shape was like what TS was describing. Err, drawing. Err, editing.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
With much experience, I can honestly say the BC Rich Warlock far surpasses the Epiphone T Bird
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
With much experience, I can honestly say the BC Rich Warlock far surpasses the Epiphone T Bird

Perhaps but i don't want either of them, not even for free.
For the money you have to pay for one of those you can do so much better.
Also i think its a stupid idea to buy a bass for looks (which i think both are hideous). You just dont go to Store: I want that bass guitar a set of new strings those EMG pickups and a new thinner neck. That is just outright stupid. Get a bass that right away fullfills your needs. Im confident that if you add up the money you pay the improvements and the bass together you can buty a great bass.

If you want to MAKE a good bass start with a good base not piece of crap cause it will always be a piece of crap, an improved piece of crap, but a piece of crap nonetheless.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
The reason that things like the T bird exist is because of the simple phrase "different strokes for different folks". Some like and can deal with all the flaws without bitching, or theyre new to bass. A mixture of these 2 reasons is prolly why the epi t bird was (I think still is) the top sellin bass of musicians friend.

And yes I am actually standing up for the T bird a little here and no I dont own one.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
The guy from Kings of Leon uses a TBird and it sounds bloody amazing!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by silentdob
The reason that things like the T bird exist is because of the simple phrase "different strokes for different folks". Some like and can deal with all the flaws without bitching, or theyre new to bass. A mixture of these 2 reasons is prolly why the epi t bird was (I think still is) the top sellin bass of musicians friend.

And yes I am actually standing up for the T bird a little here and no I dont own one.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you have more proof than the fact that musiciansfriend lists it as a HOT SELLER or TOP SELLER, which they do to items that they have lots of stock of to increase awareness of it and move units.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you have more proof than the fact that musiciansfriend lists it as a HOT SELLER or TOP SELLER, which they do to items that they have lots of stock of to increase awareness of it and move units.

Yeah, i agree with thefitz. Just a marketing trick. Nobody wants them so they are piling up expensive storage room they can use for something better.
What they should do do is lower the price from 300 to something between 50-100 dollar and maybe just maybe they will sell a few.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Simon Gallup...The guy from The Cure mainly plays Gibsons live. His lines are pretty nice and simple. The sound is pleasant, its really bommy or muddy sound. I guess that's the appeal of the T-bird. Listen to M by The Cure and you see what I mean.
Quote by shotbythepope

I think I beat you to it....poplar body, maple neck, and Bartolini pickups and pre-amp. I think it sounds pretty damn good

Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'm thinking that I'm gonna take my old Squier bridge and start experimenting with different setups. and, I'll change the pickups to EMGs and put a Fender neck.
YAY FENDERBIRD!
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by Mescalino
Yeah, i agree with thefitz. Just a marketing trick. Nobody wants them so they are piling up expensive storage room they can use for something better.
What they should do do is lower the price from 300 to something between 50-100 dollar and maybe just maybe they will sell a few.

I do think that the Thunderbird is overpriced. It should cost $200-250, not $300. I do believe that they are selling fast, and that they are the premier starter bass. Not in quality, but in amount of people who like it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by thefitz

Touche... But does that also explain why the Ric was at the top for a while as well and (on the guitar side) why LPs are 99% of the time on top?
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
That has to do more with stock than anything else - I saw a 2003 LTD John Entwistle Buzzard in Red as a hot seller - one unit left. A message saying PLEASE BUY IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

In 2007.
Quote by Cody_Grey102