So I'm playing different distortions and looking for that dirty aerosmith-1796 type of ovderdrive that you hear on "Lick And A Promise" and "last child". Does anyone know what kind of gear they were using back then?

I also like the kind of distortion Skid row had on Slave to the Grind, they had BADASS tone.

For the most part I play marshalls or Crate with BC Rich or Dean, but I'm open to trying anything.

I just want the ballsiest, most versatile dirty ass raunchy tone I can get. That's not asking too much is it?

so far the Grunge pedal has been pretty sweet as far as versatility, and the Boss Super Overdrive is nice too. Next time I go to the shop Im gonna try out the EVH stuff.
That sounds like the classic Les Paul + Marshall (not the AVT or MG series) sound to me.
Yeah, or the more politically correct Mahogany Guitar with Humbuckers and A British Valve amp tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ I didn;t know political correctness existed when referring to gear?

I also didn't know that politcal correctness existed on the internet
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
well, joe perry actually used a strat alot back then. (i think you can tell on walk this way)
but yeah, "aerosmith tone" is pretty much just classic guitars and amps. if you want skid row and that maye look at a peavey windsor or jcm800 or something??
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by jxljxl
^ I didn;t know political correctness existed when referring to gear?

I also didn't know that politcal correctness existed on the internet
I say that because of the modern states of Gibson and Marshall... The Marshall reissues of all the amps they woulda used back then are overpriced and inferior to things like Orange, and the state of play is the same with Gibson and their Japanese copies like Tokai.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah, or the more politically correct Mahogany Guitar with Humbuckers and A British Valve amp tone.

*pulls out mahogany tele and hiwatt amp*
Quote by MrCarrot
I say that because of the modern states of Gibson and Marshall... The Marshall reissues of all the amps they woulda used back then are overpriced and inferior to things like Orange, and the state of play is the same with Gibson and their Japanese copies like Tokai.

Touche my friend!!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box