Page 1 of 2
This might sound absurd to some but I was wondering if anybody else shared this peculiarity. I see or think of chords as being Feminine or Masculine. And it is not entirely based upon their sound either. It is a feeling that is more instinctual ratherthan rational.

This does not change if they are major or minor, sharp or flat.

Masculine: C,G,E,F with E and F being the "super masculine" of the bunch. The Burt Renoylds circa 1970's if you will.

Feminine: A,D,B with D being the super Feminine.

I was just putting this out there to see what others felt about this. I have a friend who has a color association with all the chords. To him each chord has a color. To each their own.
E preciso amar as pessoas como se nao houvesse amanha- Renato Russo
Quote by Jay Gatsby
This might sound absurd to some but I was wondering if anybody else shared this peculiarity. I see or think of chords as being Feminine or Masculine. And it is not entirely based upon their sound either. It is a feeling that is more instinctual ratherthan rational.

This does not change if they are major or minor, sharp or flat.

Masculine: C,G,E,F with E and F being the "super masculine" of the bunch. The Burt Renoylds circa 1970's if you will.

Feminine: A,D,B with D being the super Feminine.

I was just putting this out there to see what others felt about this. I have a friend who has a color association with all the chords. To him each chord has a color. To each their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
Quote by guitarhero49
B is masculine 100%, its a good chord and screams with distortion.

Like I stated above, for me it really isn't about sound. D can scream. Like AC/DC Back in Black. The D in that riff SOUNDS ballsy. But I still associate it as a "feminine" chord.
ok yea maybe ur right just saying the word "b" is feminine i guess. and the fingering is femine. but the sound masculine so its a transexual chord lets say.
Quote by Joboffal
I associate songs with colours sometimes....
but i've never really thought of it as masculine/feminine really...

it's kind of interesting how people relate things...

I do that, like most blink182 songs to me are green, and HIM songs would be purple. Slayer would be red and black.

wierd.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
I always thought the more open a chord voicing is, the more feminine. As in open, sweet, almost apologetic, feminine. Stuff like barres, domineering, almost boastful, dense, masculine. Also, I've always felt the more extensions you add, like a 15th suddenly make the chord sound masculine again. Anyway, the wonders of human musical response. So very cool.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I don't associate masculinity or femininity with chords.

I more associate them with music I've heard using them, and that generally helps me remember them (weird, I know).
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
It's not synesthesia.

It is interesting, though, that my friend commented that he associated chords with colors. My he is experiencing a little synesthesia. I never asked him if it was an assciation with the sound or not. I have to ask him now.
He calls D feminine because open D in standard tuning on a six string guitar is very high pitched.

This is bogus. Play those chords on a piano and you will hear no gender difference.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
lol @ transexual chords
I have color-music synthesia, which is what your friend seems to be describing, I actually made a thread about it a while ago.
I also remember having some sort of color-word-shape synthesia when I was a child, but i dont get it that often now days.
I never thought about chords having a certain gender though, seems interesing
I thought a chord was just a chord?
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1

The days of 1 3 5 are over...
Quote by Avedas
The days of 1 3 5 are over...
I don't use tabs I actually can read music bro.

but I was saying whats the diff between the fem chord and the masculine chord?

Acording to you guys AC/DC use fem chords lol.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1

Then why do you think 1 3 5 has anything to do with tabs?
^ as in tonic, third and fifth?

It can't be associated with anything else but standard music notation.

Work on your theory little grass hopper.

edit: referred to the quote above.
Quote by CortFan1

That is a truly simpleton way to look at things. Anything in this universe can be looked at more closely. There is more than is what is observable on the surface.
Dim7th chords are the weird uncle who's always telling crap jokes that he thinks are hilarious.
Chords are androgynous. However, I guess there are more pretty chords and rugged sounding chords if that's what you mean.
Its weird how the 2 chords that are super masculine use the most strings and D being super fem uses the least strings.

I'm assuming you play the F as a barre chord?
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Different chords sound differently based on the key in which you're playing. I'm not exactly a master of music theory but a C sounds differently if you're playing in the key of C, G, of F. It's the chords around it that give it the specific feel. Generally speaking, the chord based on the 4th interval of a major key will be the brightest, followed by the first interval, followed by the 5th, then 2nd, then 6th, then 3rd, and finally 7th. This is lightness and darkness, which is I think what you're trying to say by masculine and feminine. If you're just talking about how low a chord is, obviously an Emaj played open will be the "most masculine."

If you want to see what I mean just play Am, Em, D, C (2, 6, 5, and 4 in the key of G). If you listen to the sound, you can hear it sound out dark, get a little darker, get much lighter, then get remain light but give you a very loose, crazy feeling. Actually, this is where my knowledge of theory isn't enough to fully explain it. It's almost as though when the C chord hits, you don't know where you are within the song. Pay attention to how your gut feels when you hear it and you'll understand what I mean. That feeling is almost completely based on what sounds you're hearing before and after the C.
I find a difference in "gender" between major and minor chords...for example, G major sounds feminine to me, but G minor sounds masculine.

Masculine: C, Cm, Dm, E, F, Gm, Am
Feminine: D, Em, Fm, G, A, B, Bm

Aadd9 is very open and breezy, Dm is lonely and brooding, Cadd9 is hopeful, Cmaj7 is the tension between summer and fall.
Quote by Pabli7o
^ as in tonic, third and fifth?

It can't be associated with anything else but standard music notation.

Work on your theory little grass hopper.

edit: referred to the quote above.

well if you are comparing their voicings then.. yeah that can make sense. are they different even if they all use the same voicing? are they different if they are played an octave lower than the rest?

i will say that i feel differences between individual notes. say, C minor scale feels completely different than D minor, they have their own.. personalities you could say? i have also heard plenty of times that D minor and B minor both compete for the saddest of chords, and i remember reading before that certain aspects of music have their own personalities as well (probalby greek philosophy).

for some reason all my songs sound fine in drop C tuning, but if i up or down tune they sound terribly wrong.
Quote by audiorapist
A7 is certainly a homosexual chord

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Im assuming this topic was a joke. In that spirit ill say that particular voicings of dom7th chords can sound pretty gay. especially this 1:

-----8----------------------------
-----7----------------------------
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 29, 2008,
Interesting concept! Many great musicians have used color terminology in an attempt to express musical ideas (Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington), but the idea of masculine and feminine notes(?) is fresh to me. Undoubtedly others have thought this way before, but it is an idea I had not yet considered. Many languages have masculine and feminine nouns that have nothing to do with any underlying "sexuality". I think the reason for this is simply linguistic. The gender of the noun tells you how to pronounce other word/s in the phrase, allowing for less awkward, easily articulated, easily understood communication. Since there seems to be no other basis for this gender assignation it is difficult to transpose this to music without taking the musical key into consideration. Thanks for the thought provoking question!
Quote by CortFan1

but I was saying whats the diff between the fem chord and the masculine chord?

Acording to you guys AC/DC use fem chords lol.

wow he can read music and condesend tab readers.
Never really thought of chords being manly or womenly. Always just thought of them being difficult to use or not difficult for whatever genre im playing.
For instance, Cadd9 is good for almost anything, Open C is good for emo, an E power chord for Punk and metal etc.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee
Quote by webbtje
You wish. She probably thinks you're a Stalin/Hitler hybrid... Stitler
In fact, from now on, I'm going to call you Stitler.

Quote by rushmore

it's always nice to find a new reason to smile
Maybe this should be in a different post but..."woman tone"? WTH is that?
Page 1 of 2