I searched, couldn't find.

I don't listen to a lot of Metal and even less Death Metal. I do listen to Cradle of Filth now and then and I think they have beautiful lyrics on the whole, well written. I also don't find their music to be that bad. But I've seen that a lot of you do, could you tell me why?

I understand that they could also be considered main stream.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
i liked them when they were still black metal (bitter suits to succumbi) but after that i kinda lost respect for them for going mainstream
Quote by JamesDouglas
I searched, couldn't find.

I don't listen to a lot of Metal and even less Death Metal. I do listen to Cradle of Filth now and then and I think they have beautiful lyrics on the whole, well written. I also don't find their music to be that bad. But I've seen that a lot of you do, could you tell me why?

I understand that they could also be considered main stream.
because they play a form of rock / soft metal thats reminiscent of black metal, and the extreme metal elitists hate it cos cradle of filth fans call them black metal. thats pretty much it. and theyre much more mainstream than they appear to be.

metal fans, especially extreme metal fans, tend to be extremely closed minded
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
in my opinion they have go down hill since midian they have comformed and changed there sound in order to achieve higher success

still ok but not as good as older material e.g principle,dusk,midian

i've seen the live 3 times and they were really good but i havnt listened to them in so
long because they no longer have the spark that attracted me to them
Quote by jeowy
because they play a form of rock / soft metal thats reminiscent of black metal, and the extreme metal elitists hate it cos cradle of filth fans call them black metal. thats pretty much it. and theyre much more mainstream than they appear to be

Ok, so to put it into terms I'd understand it's like Good Charlotte and their fans calling themselves Metal?

I'd hate them.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
I just don't like there music.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by jeowy
because they play a form of rock / soft metal thats reminiscent of black metal, and the extreme metal elitists hate it cos cradle of filth fans call them black metal. thats pretty much it. and theyre much more mainstream than they appear to be.

metal fans, especially extreme metal fans, tend to be extremely closed minded

*trying not to be a "metal elitist"*
That's because they're not black metal...
So, what genre would they be considered now? Or what genre have they always been?
Quote by sam b
*trying not to be a metal elitist*
That's because they're not black metal...
i didnt say they were :P but i personally enjoy their music, by thinking of them as a "rock band with black metal influences"
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by JamesDouglas
Ok, so to put it into terms I'd understand it's like Good Charlotte and their fans calling themselves Metal?

I'd hate them.

Or like FOB fans calling them good.
Same principle
ohai little sig.
Quote by JamesDouglas
So, what genre would they be considered now? Or what genre have they always been?

Wikipedia?
Quote by St.Loony
Wikipedia?

no

most people would say their old stuff is black metal and the new stuff is alternative metal or something...
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by St.Loony
Wikipedia?

The Metal forum is a 100% more reliable than wikipedia in matters relating to metal. And probably most others too.

Wikipedia calls them heavy metal, gothic metal and symphonic black metal.
Because there's this thing called opinion, and another thing called taste....

Sorry to be facetious but this has been done a thousand times already.

Also I'd like to point out that COF have very little to do with black and death metal, their stylistic roots are really more classic British metal and symphonic metal. Apparently their first few albums were in a more BM vein though.

That, and their whole mainstream appeal, ignorant, annoying fanboys/girls, Dani's vocals, increasingly commercial style and production, etc.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
i personally think the vocals and lyrics are ridiculous. I love screaming but his voice just doesn't do it for me, and the lyrics... meh. The music isn't too great either, i don't see the big deal about them. This is my personal opinion, so please spare me hahaha. Just can't dig 'em, but i'm sure they're supurb musicians.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by raise_the_dead

Also I'd like to point out that COF have very little to do with black and death metal, their stylistic roots are really more classic British metal and symphonic metal. Apparently their first few albums were in a more BM vein though.

That, and their whole mainstream appeal, ignorant, annoying fanboys/girls, Dani's vocals, increasingly commercial style and production, etc.
the reason i disagree with metal elitists is simply because i dont feel you need to have a huge amount of respect for a band or their fans in order to enjoy their music. i happily listen to cradle of filth, i know theyre corporate sellouts, i know theyre greedy assholes and i know the fangirls and fanboys are scum of the earth, but i dont **** myself over the idea of being associated with them.
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by raise_the_dead

I was inquiring as to why people's tastes and opinions were of such a nature.
Quote by JamesDouglas
I was inquiring as to why people's tastes and opinions were of such a nature.
i think he was suggesting the things in his final paragraph as the reasons as to why people dislike them
Quote by mr.happyman
Sigh. We do have a quite large CoF thread started by Seth_Shadows.

The problem is that CoF started as a Black Metal band and eventually moved towards more Gothic and Symphonic styled metal, thus "selling out".

Ignoring the fact that the band never claimed to be Black metal in the first place.

They are adored by scene kids everywhere nary because of the music but because "omg liek dani is liek so hawt1!!1". Most of these retards have only ever heard Nymphetamine and Thornography and MAYBE the song "Her Ghost In The Fog".

The entire thing is a moot point because in the end it doesn't matter in the slightest.
Quote by Magero
Sigh. We do have a quite large CoF thread started by Seth_Shadows.

The problem is that CoF started as a Black Metal band and eventually moved towards more Gothic and Symphonic styled metal, thus "selling out".

Ignoring the fact that the band never claimed to be Black metal in the first place.

They are adored by scene kids everywhere nary because of the music but because "omg liek dani is liek so hawt1!!1". Most of these retards have only ever heard Nymphetamine and Thornography and MAYBE the song "Her Ghost In The Fog".

The entire thing is a moot point because in the end it doesn't matter in the slightest.
everyone listen to this guy.

EDIT: although i dont think it is a moot point. personally i see both metal elitism and fanboyism as serious problems
Quote by mr.happyman
Why? Dani's hellishly annoying vocals and their mostly weak instrumentals.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
In my opinion, I think that the reason why most metalheads hate COF is 1/4 musicality, and 3/4 is the fact that they're sell-outs, just like how some metalheads hate metallica now.
Quote by jeowy
everyone listen to this guy.

EDIT: although i dont think it is a moot point. personally i see both metal elitism and fanboyism as serious problems

I was referring to the fact that all the in-fighting doesn't matter because you should just listen to a band if you like them and ignore what others say. But thats for agreeing