I'm going to be covering this song eventually, and in Drop C (I have 4 guitars, so tuning one to C isnt difficult lol)...

anyway the majority of the song seems pretty straightforward, but the arpeggios dont seem to line up in a way where they interconnect like a lot of sweeps seem too (i.e. canon rock, where you slide into the first note of the second arpeggio from the alst note of the first)...

there seems to be a sizeable gap in frets between each of them (the same arpeggio as a different note in a higher octave each time)

so my question is, how would I go about getting the whole thing smoothly/quickly, and be able to play over the gaps without having a time lag switching arpeggios?

edit: I should also add that this is the first serious sweeping I have ever attempted, and teh guitar Im doing it on has rather uncomfortable action for shredding (its my Vanguard)...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 8, 2008,
just take it slow with the metronome, I know its hard.

There isn't any exercise to perfect the arpeggios, they are an exercise of their own., and thats what makes them so hard.
Practice slowly with a metronome and build up speed gradually
ohai little sig.
yeah man the thunderhorse sweeps are one of the hardest ive come across, at least for me. just keep playin it over and over, thats the best way. eventually there will be a moment where it just "clicks" in your head, and you will fully understand the riff and be able to play it
The thunderhorse sweeps just have really weird fingerings but they aren't really that bad. Just take it slow and play it over and over until your fingers get used to the motion.
Quote by Junior#1
The thunderhorse sweeps just have really weird fingerings but they aren't really that bad. Just take it slow and play it over and over until your fingers get used to the motion.

Actually the fingerings are very standard for 3 stringers. Doesn't look too difficult to me. It should just take some practice and you'll probably pick it up quickly. Use a metronome. Really. 190bpm is fast. I still think the sweeps in Riders by Outworld are harder.
Quote by Avedas
Actually the fingerings are very standard for 3 stringers. Doesn't look too difficult to me. It should just take some practice and you'll probably pick it up quickly. Use a metronome. Really. 190bpm is fast. I still think the sweeps in Riders by Outworld are harder.

According to the five-star powertab on this site, they're four string sweeps... Otherwise I wouldn't have any trouble with them. Three-string sweeps are teh easy.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Well the powertab might sound better, but the three string sounds right to me (that's how I play it) and they're pretty standard sweep patterns. So just do as everyone else said and play it slowly. The cleaner you play it slow, the cleaner you'll play it fast. Try picking out each individual note slowly to get your left hand used to moving in the patterns and slowly work up.
Practice Makes Perfect

I think i made my point ¬_¬
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
Quote by GodofCheesecake
According to the five-star powertab on this site, they're four string sweeps... Otherwise I wouldn't have any trouble with them. Three-string sweeps are teh easy.

Ah. I was referring to the ASCII one, and I use Guitar Pro anyways. I didn't check out the GP one though (if there is one).
im actually workin on those sweeps ATM

slow practice does it, took me a week or so to get em up to speed after starting really slowly and making sure EVERY little thing flows well
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
haha, I remember that one...
it's kinda like learning to play schism (tool) for the first time. at first you look at a good tab and say "that ain't right, that's impossible" then you spend six weeks trying to figure the "real" version out, only to find the tab is correct. then you play and play this terrible sounding jumble of notes eventually getting it right and finally,you get it and it becomes like your best song because you can't stop playing it because it sounds so effin' cool. The arc's do suck for the first bit, and you WILL get discouraged, however, once you get your placement right those first few times, speed becomes less and less of an issue, and you piss off your buds who are still unable to get it right.
There isn't some secret way to magically get good at sweep picking. You just need to practice and practice and practice some more just like anything else on a guitar
Quote by GodofCheesecake

That could be why mine has really weird fingerings. Mine isn't a 5 star tab. It's actually from www.powertabs.net. I used to use that before I found UG.
most of the dethklok sweeps are pretty simple as they all use the same pattern
on thunderhorse from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th on the sweeps pick once and slide to the start of the next 1

practice it slow and it wont take much time at all

on the crush my opponents balls lick its kinda the same thing escept you tap a note at the start of each apreggio
Quote by Niicckkk
There isn't some secret way to magically get good at sweep picking. You just need to practice and practice and practice some more just like anything else on a guitar

There are a few, you just didn't know them.
Gear:

Ibanez SAS36FM
Ovation Acoustic
Classical Guitar
Amplitube 3 running into a PA
Quote by Zao_89
Well, you should probably tune to C standard first, cause thats what tuning they use.

Drop C. Skwisgaar said it himself. I hate uninformed people
These kinds of threads get posted a lot, but it's kind of silly because the answer to every single one of them is the same exact thing:

"Start slowly, using a metronome, and gradually increase speed."

If learning to play hard things was so easy, there would be tons of awesome guitarists everywhere.
Quote by spiroth10
I'm going to be covering this song eventually, and in Drop C (I have 4 guitars, so tuning one to C isnt difficult lol)...

anyway the majority of the song seems pretty straightforward, but the arpeggios dont seem to line up in a way where they interconnect like a lot of sweeps seem too (i.e. canon rock, where you slide into the first note of the second arpeggio from the alst note of the first)...

there seems to be a sizeable gap in frets between each of them (the same arpeggio as a different note in a higher octave each time)

so my question is, how would I go about getting the whole thing smoothly/quickly, and be able to play over the gaps without having a time lag switching arpeggios?

edit: I should also add that this is the first serious sweeping I have ever attempted, and teh guitar Im doing it on has rather uncomfortable action for shredding (its my Vanguard)...
Eh?.....Thunderhorse is in C standard or are you going to play it in D instead?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
someone said they are 3 string sweeps. wrong.

they are 4 string.

to TS:
theres no secret, and they arent that bad. you just arent used to moving around a lot with sweeps, you've obviously been babied with some really close together or interconnected sweeping patterns.

welcome to the beginning of intermediate sweeps
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels