Page 1 of 6
Over the past couple of years, it has been pretty obvious that global warming was happening. However this winter it seems like the opposite. It has been extremely cold. I heard China had its coldest winter in like 100 years, as well as northern U.S. states like Minnesota, coming in at like -40 or something like that. And now, it is pouring snow at my house on March 8th, in GEORGIA. This never happens. So what is the deal?
No, it's not reversing. Single random events like that doesn't mean anything.

And for the record, this winter here was really short. We've got spring already. I live in sweden for crying out loud. Kinda shoots down that thesis.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
In New Jersey, we didn't get much of any snow at all. The coldest it was was like 20 degrees F, but it felt like it was in the negatives with the windchill and all.

Glady spring is coming soon though.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
actualy the cold winters are the exact effect of global warming. what is happening is that global warming is melting the icecaps and evaporating mass amounts of water... that water goes into the clouds. if you have notices the clouds have been closer to the earth and we are at record highs for fog. with more water in the clouds they tend to be larges in times of winter. larger clouds let less sun through and cools the earth. this cooling will cause the it to snow... well all that water thats in the clouds... falls. and because of warming there is soo much more in the clouds. if you study these patterns on the storm of 77 it all falls into place also.

wikipedia is our friend
It's not global warming necessarily, it's also climate change. If things get worse, some place will get cooler, most will get warmer.
Global Warming is a load of crap anyway, people are just jumping to conclusions (that's just my opinion, anyway).
global warming is just a piece of **** made up by democrats. the recent climate changes have been due to la nina and el nino. not to say that making up global warming didn't have good effects, like alternative fuels and more ideas for energy efficentcy.
Quote by bigtimber112
Global Warming is a load of crap anyway, people are just jumping to conclusions (that's just my opinion, anyway).

Quote by SRVNumberOne
global warming is just a piece of **** made up by democrats. the recent climate changes have been due to la nina and el nino. not to say that making up global warming didn't have good effects, like alternative fuels and more ideas for energy efficentcy.

You do realize that scientists from all over the world are researching it, and not regular people right?
The pattern of Ice Ages is that they occur every 10,000 years or so. We are overdue for one now, but then it may still come a bit late. And "a bit late" on a scale of 10,000 years could mean centuries.

So it's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I think the coming of the next Ice Age will probably be quell the effects of a warmer Earth enough for future generations to survive, but probably won't become apparent in our lifetimes.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by SRVNumberOne

If by alternative fuels being a good thing, you mean biofuels are a good thing, think again. Food grain prices are already rising, and the creation of biofuels creates MORE emissions.
Quote by goldmember1217
My cousins are getting record snow where they are, so if global warming is happening, it's not doing a very good job.

its exactly the result of this.... read my post above... explains it all
Quote by johnpetrucci05
as well as northern U.S. states like Minnesota, coming in at like -40 or something like that.

We've been reaching -40 for as long as I can remember.
Quote by Kensai
No, it's not reversing. Single random events like that doesn't mean anything.

And for the record, this winter here was really short. We've got spring already. I live in sweden for crying out loud. Kinda shoots down that thesis.

There hasn't even been any winter, has it? We went straight from autumn to spring.
I'm in australia, our summer's usually consist of 40C - 50C days

This summer was raining a lot and was pretty average temparatures.

GLOBAL WARMINGS A CONSPIRACY!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If by alternative fuels being a good thing, you mean biofuels are a good thing, think again. Food grain prices are already rising, and the creation of biofuels creates MORE emissions.

True about the prices, but at least biofuels are carbon neutral. You could argue that fossil fuels are carbon neutral too, but due to that taking millions of years, instead of seasons, I think that's an irrelevent point.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Last edited by mattyp90 at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Kensai
You do realize that scientists from all over the world are researching it, and not regular people right?

I just think that it's a waste of time. So for the last 100 years, the average temperature has risen, who cares? The temperature could well go back down to what ever normal is, which brings me to another point: We have little information on the temperatures 200, or 300 years ago. It could just all be a natural cycle which is completely unpredictable, and I just think that it's wrong to just assume that the world has been heating up and that it's going to cause problems.
Quote by SRVNumberOne

I'm trying to determine whether this is a troll or not.
Quote by mattyp90
True about the prices, but at least biofuels are carbon neutral. You could argue that fossil fuels are carbon neutral too, but due to that taking millions of years, instead of seasons, think that's an irrelevent point.

The biofuel itself is carbon neutral, yes. But the production process isn't. At all. Increased deforestation for land to grow the extra grain doesn't help.

In fact, two independant university studies have shown that biofuels will actually INCREASE greenhouse gas emissions by as much as double over the next 30 years, and increasing atmospheric greenhouse gases over the next 167 years, as opposed to the "advertised" 20% decrease.
Quote by bigtimber112
I just think that it's a waste of time. So for the last 100 years, the average temperature has risen, who cares? The temperature could well go back down to what ever normal is, which brings me to another point: We have little information on the temperatures 200, or 300 years ago. It could just all be a natural cycle which is completely unpredictable, and I just think that it's wrong to just assume that the world has been heating up and that it's going to cause problems.

Actually we have a lot information from the time periods you listed, and I don't think you understand that the entire environment on this Earth has been created around a steady constant temperature, one change could change the entire Earth and its environment. So yes we should care, and yes you seriously need a class in ecology. Could be natural, but we don't know, that is why we are researching it. But when you make the assumption that it is natural you are putting all the eggs in one basket. If we choose to take action and it returns to normal, max effect is economy damage, and if it doesn't go back, economy damage. If we just do nothing, we are talking the Gulf of Mexico in my backyard in here Georgia! People thought 9/11 and Katrina were bad, I guess they won't even be able to comprehend global warming's effects.
Quote by Rambo-Conny
There hasn't even been any winter, has it? We went straight from autumn to spring.

Maybe where you live...

Nah winter's been pretty cool. Last one was a bitch, though.

Quote by johnpetrucci05
Actually we have a lot information from the time periods you listed, and I don't think you understand that the entire environment on this Earth has been created around a steady constant temperature, one change could change the entire Earth and its environment. So yes we should care, and yes you seriously need a class in ecology. Could be natural, but we don't know, that is why we are researching it. But when you make the assumption that it is natural you are putting all the eggs in one basket. If we choose to take action and it returns to normal, max effect is economy damage, and if it doesn't go back, economy damage. If we just do nothing, we are talking the Gulf of Mexico in my backyard in here Georgia! People thought 9/11 and Katrina were bad, I guess they won't even be able to comprehend global warming's effects.

+1 and they're very sure it's man-made. Either way it's better to do something and it doesn't happen than doing nothing and having it happen.
Quote by bigtimber112

carbon dating tells us everything we need to know about past...
This thread is getting way too scientific, if you want me i'll be hiding behind the couch wearing a tinfoil hat.
Quote by maccas666
This thread is getting way too scientific, if you want me i'll be hiding behind the couch wearing a tinfoil hat.

whats wrong with science?
Quote by sofa.king
whats wrong with science?

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with it, i just not good at it
Quote by sofa.king

I hope this isnt a troll, at the same time I hope it is.

WTF does knowing how old something is tell us about the past, specifically temperature? And carbon dating, iirc isnt at all precise.
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
Quote by sofa.king
I'm fairly sure carbon dating only tells us how old something is, not how hot it was at a given point in its history. The name carbon dating suggests it deals with age and time or is a website dedicated to helping coal and diamond find partners. [/pun]
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
A new Ice Age is coming soon.

"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
I don't get some people. How is encouraging people to use their cars less, walk, cycle, turn their lights off, save electricity in general, and invest in cleaner ways of producing power (wind and solar power for instance) a bad thing? We're going to run out of oil at some point. Saying '0h n03s, Gl0ba1 W4rming is a myth!!!' isn't going to change the fact that we, as a race, need to start being less wasteful and using cleaner, more sustainable forms of power production.
Quote by wannabe jesus
I'm fairly sure carbon dating only tells us how old something is, not how hot it was at a given point in its history. The name carbon dating suggests it deals with age and time or is a website dedicated to helping coal and diamond find partners. [/pun]

they can take the date of when it was and account for the size they found it at and project the size of whatever it was and guess how weather effected it.
"Global Warming" is a ton of crap.

How about the Ice Age? It could happen for heat as well. Cars and Co2 have nothing to do with it. The sodding government is MAKING IT UP because oil prices are rising. The stingy f**kers don't want to pay the rising price to get more oil so they're encouraging us not to use it. "Being green" and "global warming" is a convenient cover story.

This heating up is just natural. It's nice, too.

Buy a Ferrari 599 and don't care.
Carbon dating isn't what is really giving us the information is the ice cores taken from the poles. Those we can analyze the chemicals and makeup and determine an average set of temperatures.

Global warming is a really bad name for what is happening. It is more like global climate shift. What is happening due to an increased amount of greenhouse gases (carbon, nitrogen,methane ect) is a climate shift. Normally the sun hits parts of the earth and is either absorbed or reflected. The polar ice caps in the past reflected the sun rays.

Now though those greenhouse gases are reflecting the suns rays back to the surface. The energy that was reflected off of the ice caps cannot escape into the atmosphere so it is reflected back to earth. This process leads to melting of the ice caps.

When large amounts of freshwater is put in the ocean it changes the temperature. With a large change of temperature comes a reversal in ocean currents. The ocean currents are responsible for wind patterns. With a change in ocean currents our wind starts blowing in different directions and we get cooler air in other places and warmer air in others.

Worst case scenario is that the polar ice caps melt and a little flooding and climate change. The climate though could have untold effects that change our very existence. North America would become a glacier along with Europe, Africa a desert, and antarctic a new tropical destination. This may not sound so bad but the majority of the worlds farmland is in North America, Europe and Africa.

Biofuel would be a little better than now but not much. We need to invest more into cold fusion or fuel cell cars. That is really our only safe bet right now.

Global warming is rather real and is affecting our world right now. For anyone who truly can't see that, I really question their intelligence. The majority of people that say global warming is a hoax are politicians and those who are brainwashed. None of these people have a science degree, none of them have written papers on ocean currents or albedo. I think its assine to listen to these people who have no backing to their claim other than their biased opinion
I don't really care, the whole world is getting it's knickers in a twist about GW and Oil running out, but i don't care. It's ironic that on television that you cant watch 5 minutes without something "Green" being shown/advertised/explained.....On a TV? You how much energy TV's gobble up? IN A DAY AROUND THE WORLD? ALOT!

If civilisation goes arse-up, i'll live life like a hermit in the hills with a few cattle and chickens, by a little river....
I thought global warming didn't mean just everything getting warm, but it meant highs and lows became more extreme. There is a current that crosses the atlantic and brings warmer water to england, and that's going to be cut off by climate change, and it's going to be colder here.

But don't quote me on any of that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Nothing can be decided based on singular annual events.

Climatic variations are too wide to be analysed as general warming or cooling trends unless you look at multi-century models.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by dudey5691
Global warming results in global cooling resulting in Ice Age.

Seriously...

Although the detail may be more in-depth than that

Ice Ages comes in intervalls of 18000-20000, I believe, and it's been around 18000 since the last one.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Moggan13
I don't really care, the whole world is getting it's knickers in a twist about GW and Oil running out, but i don't care. It's ironic that on television that you cant watch 5 minutes without something "Green" being shown/advertised/explained.....On a TV? You how much energy TV's gobble up? IN A DAY AROUND THE WORLD? ALOT!

So how do you suggest they'll make people aware then?

If it gets people aware then the end justifies the means.