Hey guys, I am wondering wether I should change the pickups in my guitar, as they came standard with my Epiphone Firebird Studio, they have a nice tone, but I want to play stuff like Metallica, with a really heavy Low E string chug. What pickups would be best for this, that aren't exactly SKY high in price?! Thanks.
The best pickups for Metallica are EMG 81's and 85's, but a lot depends on what amp you have. They use valve Mesa/Boogie and Marshall stacks ...

You can get a heavier sound with Swinesheads or Bare Knuckles (if you're in the UK), or maybe some Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios.
Im in the UK, and I have a really crappy 10Watt AMP, but im going to be playing alot of gigs soon. So this is why I need the change.
If you plan on playing gigs, you'll most likely need to upgrade your amp. When you upgrade your amp, you may not necessarily need a pickup swap. What's your budget?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Stratopower
Im in the UK, and I have a really crappy 10Watt AMP, but im going to be playing alot of gigs soon. So this is why I need the change.

No, you don't.

You need a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
We all say get a new amp. now go do it! make sure it's tube, too, and at least 30 watts for gigs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.