for the past 4 years since i started playing ive had the inside of my arm resting on the edge of the guitar.
not only that but i keep my palm resting on the bridge.

now i come to find that this is not only un-efficient, but also un-healthy

so whats the best right hand technique?
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
It was fairly uncomfortable and limiting for me that way so i practiced just floating my hand in mid air, it really helped but now its almost like i just switch back and forth between anchoring and floating without having to think. Its more natural that way and feels more relaxed while playing.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
It's called anchoring when you rest your arm on the guitar. The palm thing isn't as big a deal as it can be used for palm muting.

Anchoring is not the suggested form of playing; when beginners do it we try to convince them not to. However, four years is a long to to do something and then suddenly quit. If you want to retrain yourself, that's fine, but it's not as if your arm will combust if you you keep doing this.
I think it depends on what you're playing.
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
I anchor my forearm and pinky finger. The forearm thing doesn't bother me speedwise and if I try to "float" may arm, my picking becomes very unstable and just wrong! So, I, personally, would suggest playing with your pinky anchored rather than the palm. Don't worry, I used to do the EXACT SAME THING and I was able to change my style within one and a half weeks. Just practice picking exercises and such and it will be very easy to switch.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

I anchor my palm alot of the time as a result of playing lots of metal. Rapidly alternating between palm muting and picking made it the natural way to play for me.
Quote by restless_thrash
play standing up for a while. It might break the habit.

i do for the most part, especially when gigging

Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's called anchoring when you rest your arm on the guitar. The palm thing isn't as big a deal as it can be used for palm muting.

Anchoring is not the suggested form of playing; when beginners do it we try to convince them not to. However, four years is a long to to do something and then suddenly quit. If you want to retrain yourself, that's fine, but it's not as if your arm will combust if you you keep doing this.

yeah im forcing myself off of it for sure now

its really the bridge thing thats killing me, doesnt let me skip strings as id like.
nor does it allow me to play as clean as id like.
annoying it is

Quote by dilbert_5150
I think it depends on what you're playing.

blues, jazz, indie, metal
Quote by WickedBeast666
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

i play with my palm anchored for single notes and i have no problem skipping strings...
struming and other 2+ note thingys i play completly unanchored...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by hminh87
And how can it be unhealthy?

doctor said its bad for m'wrist, and im no expert.....
....but he is
Quote by WickedBeast666

You should probably try to learn to play without anchoring. Whether or not it's unhealthy, I don't know but sooner or later it's likely that you will hit a wall in your playing.
Look up some videos of Buckethead and Shawn Lane - They both anchor their forearm. I don't see anyone complaining about THEIR technique.
For really, really fast tremolo picking, I may anchor my ring finger. However, that's just in case I'm going too fast, and am afraid to lose control.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
I do the same thing, but I see guys like Micheal Angelo Batio and Paul Gilbert anchor, so I don't think it's made out to be the evil that it is.

Gilberto does not anchor. He does rest his forearm on the edge of the guitar, but he doesn't need to rest it there, which means it's not anchoring. MAB anchors like mad, which is why he can't string skip worth a crap.

^There are many things wrong with anchoring, all of which are mentioned in this thread.