They're both around the same price, what are the differences in them?

Now obviously I'd rather have my headstock read Gibson then Epiphone but whats going on with these two guitars?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Gibson would have better quality wood, better pickups, and is probably in better shape from the factory
doubt it. The epiphone elitist series are awesome. Look at reviews all over and see. I liek the elitist better, but thats me.
Gear for now:
Ibanez RG370DX
Line 6 Spider III 30
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by rocker138
Quote by frozen_soul
umm stank puss? im not a man of "blackspeak" if someone would care to elaborate lol

Her vajayjay don't smell okaykay
I was considering used anyway.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I don't think I can shell out the money for the stndrd, they still run like $1500 used.
Elitist and Studio are about 800 used.

Take it from someone with firsthand experience. Les Paul Studios are ****ty. Get the elitist and P I M P it out.
I'd get the Epi elitist over a Gibson studio ANY DAY. The elitists go through MUCH higher quality control than the Gibson studios and so you're more likely to get an amazing guitar as Epi don't let the bad elitists out of the factory. If you were able to get a Gibson STANDARD then I'd reconsider this and try it out at least before making my mind up as the quality control is better for them. But with the Epiphone elitists you're guarenteed to get a great guitar.
Quote by tr3nt
I don't think I can shell out the money for the stndrd, they still run like $1500 used.
Elitist and Studio are about 800 used.

I meant to say, that you should get the Elitist unless possibly your getting a Gibson STD and not a STUDIO. The Elitists are awesome.

Another idea is Edwards, which is a ESP's Japanese rip-off brand. They make crazy quality Les Pauls that are arguably better than Gibson for around the same price. Some people swear to Edwards, others hate it. It's just a pain in the ass cause you gotta get em straight from Japan or off the few sellers on ebay.
Quote by scarypete
I meant to say, that you should get the Elitist unless possibly your getting a Gibson STD and not a STUDIO. The Elitists are awesome.

Another idea is Edwards, which is a ESP's Japanese rip-off brand. They make crazy quality Les Pauls that are arguably better than Gibson for around the same price. Some people swear to Edwards, others hate it. It's just a pain in the ass cause you gotta get em straight from Japan or off the few sellers on ebay.

I've just had a look around and seen a few pictures. I must say that those Edwards guitars LOOK amazing.
Analysis -

Choices are Elitist, or Studio (I've had other choices, SG standard, ESP Ec-1000 with duncans, or a PRS)..

Gib standard lp is too expensive.

Undecided between studio or elitist.

ihave an lp studio plus as my main guitar and it rocks! There is no way my brothers lp elistit is better than my guitar. Lp plus's do have a little more man hours put into them but the regular studio rocks too. Besides all these guys who are promoting he elistist is because they're jealous they don't own a gibson. I'd get the studio for Shure!
Guitar Gear: (Best To Crappiest)
1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus (Must Have)
2) Line 6 Flextone III XL (Go With The Triple Rectifier Setting)
4)Schecter Gryphon (Coil Tapper)
3)Fender Lite Ash Tele (Sweet Finish)
4Zoom Fire-18 Amp
An opinion like that coming from a studio owner, sure they're going to say that they're way better. I'm kinda looking for a professional opinion from someone who knows what their talking about.

Fair enough, I have both at my house and i honestly think the gibson sounds better if that helps...
Guitar Gear: (Best To Crappiest)
1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus (Must Have)
2) Line 6 Flextone III XL (Go With The Triple Rectifier Setting)
4)Schecter Gryphon (Coil Tapper)
3)Fender Lite Ash Tele (Sweet Finish)
4Zoom Fire-18 Amp
Quote by guitarguy5
ihave an lp studio plus as my main guitar and it rocks! There is no way my brothers lp elistit is better than my guitar. Lp plus's do have a little more man hours put into them but the regular studio rocks too. Besides all these guys who are promoting he elistist is because they're jealous they don't own a gibson. I'd get the studio for Shure!

Typical. Why would we be jealous we don't own a Gibson when we pay the same price for one? Clearly we see past the brand of the guitar. Using your logic, why wouldn't we buy the Gibson if its the same amount and says gibson on it? because maybe the elitist has more.

I have to say it depends on the years. Recent studios arent as good as lets say one from the 90s.

Really, what you should be thinking about is choosing between Edwards or Epiphone Elitist, that's what I had to do. To me there was just no way I was getting a Studio, no point. I'd prefer a better guitar that has a slightly less appeal than a decent guitar with the green tuners (plastic ones) and the Gibson headstock and brand. Plus, none of the finishes really struck me on the Studio, but I love the Cherry sunburst of the elitist
Last edited by scarypete at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by scarypete
Typical. Why would we be jealous we don't own a Gibson when we pay the same price for one? Clearly we see past the brand of the guitar. Using your logic, why wouldn't we buy the Gibson if its the same amount and says gibson on it? because maybe the elitist has more.

Amen. The Gibson name doesn't mean the guitar is gonna be any good at all. If you sanded the name off of your headstock and wrote "Epiphone" you wouldn't start sounding like ****. The perfect example of a name meaning nothing is the Marshall MG series, but lets not get into that. TS, have you ever considered getting an SG? Maybe then you'd be able to afford the Gibson SG standard which is a good guitar (just remember to try before you buy it). If the SG does sound like a good idea to you I recommend you don't even look at an SG Special or SG Faded Special, you might as well just get a Les Paul Studio if that's what you wanted as it's not worth it.
I have looked at the SG standard, it's always caught my eye.

Quote by scarypete
Get the Elitist, but its been on backorder for a while.

Arguably the Elitist compares to the Standard, it just blows the Studio way. Studios just aren't what they used to be

This is the very reason why internet forums are the last place to get guitar advice.
The differences are:

Wood: The Elitist uses higher grade wood throughout the entire instrument. This goes for the body, top, neck and fretboard. in this respect, the Elitist is undeniably superior. There is only one production Gibson (the Supreme) which is better than an Elitist, in terms of the quality of the basic body build. The Custom Shop is of course also superior, but then we're talking instruments that most guitarists will never even get the chance to touch...

Chambering: The Gibson Studio is chambered; the Elitist isn't, if you buy a new one (older Elitists will be chambered though; this is the opposite of the Studio, where the old Studios weren't chambered).

Hardware; The Elitist has higher quality cast hardware, which also uses a stronger, harder wearing metal alloy. The frets are also a little tougher on the Elitist.

Tuners, nut, etc: Both are essentially the same, except the Elitist uses better metal in it's tuners. This makes very little difference though.

Pickups: The Studio comes with Gibson's cheapest, generic pickups. The Elitist comes with Gibson-made but slightly cheaper copies of the design of Gibson's better pickups. So take your pick; Quality pickups of a cheap design, or cheap quality of a good design. Since you'll most likely end up changing the pickups anyway in both guitars, I don't think it matters.

Neck profile and headstock angle: this just comes down to preference. The Studio uses typical Gibson profiles, the Elitist uses the one and only Epiphone profile. Which you prefer is just down to your personal taste.

Finish: The Gibson uses a nitro finish (thinner, more prone to wear and damage, lets the wood 'breathe' more so it gives a slightly bright tone with more highs), while the Elitist uses a poly finish (thicker, won't fade quite as fast, is more resilient to knocks and scratches, is a tiny, tiny bit more glossy, and traps the wood more, giving a slightly thicker tone with a little more mid and bass response). Which you prefer is down to your choice. Personally, I like to have a nitro covered top and a poly finish for the rest of the body, but sadly you only get that in custom instruments.

Construction: Gibson Studios (and other production models) have each part first rough cut by machine, then finish by hand and inspected twice over (three times over for higher models) at the factory where they are made (in America). Elitists are almost entirely machine carved (some prefer this for the increased precious and consistency; some don't trust machines and prefer ' a human touch'; it's your call which you prefer), only the final assembly is done by hand, and they are then flown from Japan to America where they are checked over once (twice for certain models).

Long term value: The Gibson will hold it's value better; if you re-sell in the next five years, you should get at least half to two thirds of your money back when you sell. The Elitist, you may struggle to get half of your money back.

Personally, I've had two Studios and a Faded (same series as the Studios), and I regeretted buying all of them. On the other hand, I've played a few Elitists, and I'm kicking myself for not getting them instead. Admittedly the Elitists cost several hundred more than a Gibson Studio does here, but for me, the increase in the basic material quality is worth it. Plus, I find the Epi neck profile more comfortable than any of the three Gibson profiles.

If money really is tight for you though, or if you're usre you'd prefer the gibson neck profiles, then skip the Elitist, obviously.