OK, so I've been told by band that they would like me to get a 150+ watt amp by sometime this year as we're gettin more gis etc, and i as I had nothin to do thought id ask you for a little guidance as to which brands etc are best.

I got a budget of probably £300 - £350
I'd probably be more inclined to go for a head and cab, rather than just an amp.
I have a Cube 60 at the moment.

So any ideas guys? (and girls?)

Oli
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

Last edited by Mutleypunk at Mar 8, 2008,
You don't need a 150w solid state amp, just get a 50w tube amp..
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
sell the roland cube 60 to add to ur budget, because you probubly wont need that when you get your new amp
Haha tell them to kiss off, no one needs a 150 watt amp ....EVER, any venue that is huge can always mic your amp
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Just get a 30-50 watt tube combo. Much easier to carry than a head and cab, and gets just as loud as a 150 watt ss, and it'll sound better.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Whoever told you to get 150W is a complete arse....do you plan on playing the Royal Albert Hall without a PA or something??

Right then, down to business - what styles are you going to use it for?
haha i told them dont worry they mic small amps etc, but lol bassist has a 1250 watt stack so i can see why theyre concerned but lol they're actually cool guys and real sound.

i love my cube 60 to be honest, and dont wanna sell it, id be more inclined to buy a new guitar than a new amp. Athough would buyin an epi les paul do a better job than my prs se?
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

Last edited by Mutleypunk at Mar 8, 2008,
I play mostly punk really, and could someone please link to me a good example of a 50 watt tube combo?
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

Hmm... Isn't there a valve randall on the market for around that price?
I'd recommend that if you're using distortion.
But, I don't really listen to punk, could you give a general tone that you want (gritty, distorted, smooth, something else)?
Then I can help you out from there.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 8, 2008,
Traynor YCV 50. Orange Rocker 30. fender Blues jr.

You'll need an OD for the Jr. I think you should get teh Traynor ythough
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
well i always play through the marshall simulator with bass 4/10, mid 8/10, and treble 9/10. I have the gain on 9/10. I guess it sounds like basket case by green day to be most precise.
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

^Forgot about the traynor.
That's pretty good too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well then I think the YCV 50 might be pretty perfect for you then

It should only cost about 600 new.

And if you need more gain just get a TS9 or somethin
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 8, 2008,
the YCV50 looks perfect, but at £599 on ebay its pretty expensive for me, might have to get a job and start saving! How much would the Cube-60 fetch in perfect nick if i sold it?
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

^ don't laneys cost alot to inport thought? I might just be making stuff up though.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
A Peavey Valveking 112 (or used Classic 30) would sound fine, or possibly a used Orange Tiny Terror. Try the Laney LC30 or LC15 as well, they're not half bad for modern music.
The absolute finest deal I've ever seen is this amp. It's a rebadged Epiphone Blues Custom, and they usually sell for around £500. Not perfect for punk, but still a great deal and it'll make the Cube 60 look like a kids toy.

With zero disrespect intended, you don't seem to know much about amps yet so I suggest you keep an open mind about what you want. What you need really is a small tube combo, maybe 15W or 30W, with a single 12" speaker. Much more than that and you're just paying to lug dead weight around without any tonal benefit.
Don't get sucked into the 'I need a 100W Half-stack' trap, it'll only be a huge waste of money and possibly a trip to the chiropractor....
Quote by Mutleypunk
the YCV50 looks perfect, but at £599 on ebay its pretty expensive for me, might have to get a job and start saving! How much would the Cube-60 fetch in perfect nick if i sold it?

oh you're in Europe nvm. Probably around 100 maybe
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
kyle62, your right i dont know much! lol but yeah i agree im not gonna get a stack, i care much more about tone than looking cool and loud! I will try a tube amp, as long as im careful with it, but i wont be getting one until my birthday late august, so until then i can research a whole lot more and get some cash! but im definately leaning towards the Traynor YVC50 at the moment.
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

Quote by Mutleypunk
kyle62, your right i dont know much!

Actually, it sounds like you've learned a lot already...
The Traynor's a good amp, hopefully you'll get a decent price on one.
yeeah thanks a lot everyone, just what the problems with the tube amps, arent they quite fragile, and the tubes need replacing every few years?
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

how much is average postage from usa? cos i can get one from there for £300 now ( i cant though lol)
Quote by centorium

Quote by PlayMadness

Quote by Mutleypunk
yeeah thanks a lot everyone, just what the problems with the tube amps, arent they quite fragile, and the tubes need replacing every few years?

Quite fragile? No, not really. You shouldn't kick it around or anything, but it's not like it'll break when you touch it. That's not really anything you should worry about as long as you don't go around kicking your gear.

Yeah, powertubes need replacing every 3-4 years or something. It's probably gonna cost you like 100£ or something like that. Every 3-4 years. I believe it's like changing the oils to your car or something?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
well if you play punk and you want something now and you just cant wait
get the Valveking i dont know if anybody else knows something bettor
either a Valveking
or a
B-52 AT combo
both the amps are good cheap and right for what you want to play
all these guys go straight for the expensive ****
the amps i mentioned will do just fine
Am i the only one that picked up on "I've just been TOLD by my band to get a new amp"

Are you like their dog or something?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Mutleypunk

They're not as fragile as everyone makes out... They can take a beating, but most owners prefer not to. As long as you don't like... throw it against walls and stuff it'll be fine.

And, there's no set time for tubes, they're like lightbulbs, they go at random times...

Just thought I'd emphasize that i mean they're like lightbulbs in that they go at random times... Not that they ARE light bulbs.
Look on Ebay, I got a JCM 900 - pretty much the sound for basket case era green day for £250. I've never been told its not loud enough, and more often than not I've been told to turn it down. Take something like that to your bandmates and laugh at them when they moan its only 50W not 150 when you turn it up!

Great amp, 2 nice channels, even the 50W is fecking loud. Though they are slowly increasing in price, so if you decide to sell in a few years you should make a profit, but buy as soon as you have the money for one!
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by Mutleypunk
how much is average postage from usa? cos i can get one from there for £300 now ( i cant though lol)

eek! dont do this without some serious thought. its not just a case of changing the plug from a USA plug to a UK plug, or using an adapter. with valves, it usually involves swapping out the transformer, or at least re-wiring it.

it'd be easier, to try and find a used 30W combo if you want overdrive at gig levels, or if you want tons of clean headroom, look for something more in the region of 50-100W.

Your basist needs more wattage because the human ear is not as sensitive to bass frequencies, so they must be "louder" to be heard. guitar is the opposite; the ear is very sensitive to the frequencies it puts out, so it can be heard easier.

I recommend - a used JCM900 combo or
one of these: http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.3.1.1-216-27
if bought before sunday, they are only £200, so its a good deal, but dont buy it without playing it frst, cos some people love them and some hate them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...