Is it worth doing? What are the advantages.. disadvantages?
Is it hard to do?
It's supposed to reduce the compression effect that the guitar gives. Makes it sound more open and less muffled.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

it only makes your battery last twice as long if you wire them in parallel, but this does not change the sound at all...

The actual mod wires them in series and does NOT extend the battery life, but in my opinion really opens the pickups up... I thought my 81 was really "sterile" sounding until I did this mod.. You should try it... It's cheap to do and is completely reversible..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
it only makes your battery last twice as long if you wire them in parallel, but this does not change the sound at all...

The actual mod wires them in series and does NOT extend the battery life, but in my opinion really opens the pickups up... I thought my 81 was really "sterile" sounding until I did this mod.. You should try it... It's cheap to do and is completely reversible..

FYI it does extend battery life, and brighten tone, I tested it with and without.

when I took it out and tested it I put it right back in. not a HUGE diffrence but you can tell.
Quote by strings-N-stuff

FYI it does extend battery life, and brighten tone, I tested it with and without.

when I took it out and tested it I put it right back in. not a HUGE diffrence but you can tell.

It doesn't change battery life. Each battery is as fully utilized as though it were there alone.
Parallel doubles battery life because it takes from each battery's life equally. Rather pointless mod for people who change the battery periodically regardless.
The 18v increases headroom, and kinda tidies the sound up a little. It doesn't increase output, but it is like going from a low power amp to a higher power one at the same volume. A little tidier, a little tighter.
I'm told it increases the attack of the pickups and the sharpness of the sound, but from what I can tell of my own EMGs they just sound a little more filled out.
Not a drastic change, but noticeable.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
It doesn't change battery life. Each battery is as fully utilized as though it were there alone.
Parallel doubles battery life because it takes from each battery's life equally. Rather pointless mod for people who change the battery periodically regardless.
The 18v increases headroom, and kinda tidies the sound up a little. It doesn't increase output, but it is like going from a low power amp to a higher power one at the same volume. A little tidier, a little tighter.
I'm told it increases the attack of the pickups and the sharpness of the sound, but from what I can tell of my own EMGs they just sound a little more filled out.
Not a drastic change, but noticeable.

good post
A guy posted a demo somewere on this site... ill try and track it down... And im probally going to do the mod this weekend but make it switchable so i can really take in the difference to see which one i like better.. And added versatility...
I'll post pics of my setup if you guys really want it.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I have done it and its totally worth it. It cost me a whole 49p to do the mod.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Ok here is the guys post, if you want to search for the thread just pop in 18v mod and start looking for one that has like 5 pages and a paperclip attachment icon on it...

Here is the guys post with links...

"ShredNChunk"
"Ok this is recorded with my Guitarport. The patch you hear is exactly the same on both samples. Theres no post processing on either of them. What you hear is what you get.

9v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG9v.mp3
18v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG18v.mp3

Dont diss the riff please, i was in a hurry to go downstairs and eat with my wife and son."
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ok here is the guys post, if you want to search for the thread just pop in 18v mod and start looking for one that has like 5 pages and a paperclip attachment icon on it...

"ShredNChunk"
"Ok this is recorded with my Guitarport. The patch you hear is exactly the same on both samples. Theres no post processing on either of them. What you hear is what you get.

Dont diss the riff please, i was in a hurry to go downstairs and eat with my wife and son."

the 18v link wont work for me
Quote by strings-N-stuff

Your post has already been addressed... "FYI"

Do you know the difference between "series" and "parallel"?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Whether or not it increase battery life...you should always change the batteries at a maximum of 6 months. If you leave them in there for a prolonged period of time and they corrode, you might as well consider yourself fuk3d.

If you want to store a guitar with EMG's always take the batteries out. Otherwise it's going to end up with an almost permanent stale smell to it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by IbanezPsycho

"ShredNChunk"

The second one sounds a little tighter, and there is a little more gain to it, as well as an overal fuller sound.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by macaroni
i did the mod to my emg's
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf

is that the parallel one or the one in series? cos i couldnt hear a difference.

maybe i should get new batteries?

Its the right one.. Try new batterys....

And some people say there isnt a difference some say theres a huge difference. Im going to try it myself and see what the verdict is...
i'll get some batteries tomorrow and see how it sounds
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by IbanezPsycho

"ShredNChunk"

The 18v sounds A LOT better to me.
Yeah that was me making that comparison back then. I can still recommend it for everyone. Its really worth it!
Ok just did the mod and i installed a switch so i can toggle from 9 to 18v.... Heres my take on the mod there is a difference altough very little but enough of a significance you can tell one from the other..

When it comes to the bridge pickup i prefer 8v's. When you kick in the 18v's it does make it sound more like a passive so if your looking for that it does help out. The issue is i think the distortion was deeper and sounded better in 8v's it had more of the active sound i love. It also did tighten up things considerably but when i was chugging along it made things a bit to tight. Would be really good for lead but i prefer the 8v for rhythm. So its completely a preference thing i can see people loving 18v's for the bridge.

Now on to the neck pickup i prefer 18v's. My neck pickup was pretty dull and life less, really flat and not fluid at 8v's. With the 18v's kicked in this thing lit up like a Christmas tree and sounded alot better. It was clearer sounding with more headroom, so the passive sound really shines through which is what a neck pickup should sound like.

So in conclusion im basically able to obtain the best of both worlds. A active emg bridge pickup with deep distortion not to tight and perfect for rhythm and a clear, tight, smooth, passive sounding neck pickup...

Well worth the time but its not for everyone and it might not be perfect for both pickups. Ohh and you can tell what im talking about in ShredNChunk's clips it is pretty much spot on what mine sounds like. When i previewed the clips I didn't like the second clip at all and preferred the 8v but some people loved the second clip at 18v... Its all preference....

And with that said I do highly suggest everyone try it and see if you like it or not. It might shed some new light on your guitar...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 9, 2008,
How much would a shop charge to do the mod? Cos I don't have a soldering iron.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
its a really simple mod so i'm guessing they'll charge u around $10?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Firewind Raging
How much would a shop charge to do the mod? Cos I don't have a soldering iron.

It all depends... if you can fit two batterys in there and what the shops minimum charge is. I would charge about 20 bucks due to costs of driving to pick it up and shop dues and so forth... But then again i don't work in a shop im a contractor basically..