Is it weird or unusual that I see colors in chords, keys, and arpeggios? I have heard of people who have this condition, but I can't recall the name of it. For instance, the chord Eb minor reminds me of purple, and Bm reminds me of a green color (a light green) and A reminds me of bright red. Anyone else have this?
Quote by rockergirl1122
Hmm...I've never heard of that before, but it sounds extremely interesting. Does that help or hurt your playing/songwriting or overall listening experience?

Not at all, it's just something that I can use to my advantage, because it allows me to play chords which I hear in my head on the spot.
Perfect Pitch maybe, thats awesome though
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
that would be nice to have. figure out chords by how they look
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
but yeah that sounds like a strange condition but it also sounds insanely cool
People often relate their senses.. it could be perfectly normal.
hug your local pug dealer!
you are lucky! if i have it, its very vague and weak. it definitely adds to the experience of perception
hey man I actually have the same thing. gmaj = brown cmaj = yellow eminor= blue etc
I don't really think anything of it though, if there is an advantage to it all I haven't found it haha
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj
Perfect Pitch maybe, thats awesome though

No it's not perfect pitch (I wish, though). It's just with notes and chords, I will see colors. When I sit looking at my guitar, I can relate the notes with colors. The color's can be very faint, or bold, to me.

I looked it up, and I found that people who do have it experience it in different ways. I think I have what is called "narrow bound" (I think, I can't remember if it was band or bound, haha) synthesesia.
i actually "have" the same thing as you, but i see different colors than what you see. usually ill "see" colors in keys. like a have a song in Eb that i see as like a flowing of red and orange and i have a song in Gminor that i see as like a deep green and deep blue. i cant really see a color in my head and just play it though. i usually will record something and then play it back and see the colors which helps for the overdubs. im glad i saw this thread because i never really knew anyone else that visualized music like that.
hi everybody

Hookers do not like to snuggle
- Zach Galifinakis
Quote by succi
hey man I actually have the same thing. gmaj = brown cmaj = yellow eminor= blue etc
I don't really think anything of it though, if there is an advantage to it all I haven't found it haha

lol Gmaj is more Dark Green to me, and E minor is brown, but I see C major as being about the same as you.
i have that same thing. i hear certain chords and i think of colors i associate with them. it's weird, but it helps set the right mood for certain songs

and yes, i agree with the person a few above me, i really thought i was the only person who had this.
Quote by Pretty PinkPony
i actually "have" the same thing as you, but i see different colors than what you see. usually ill "see" colors in keys. like a have a song in Eb that i see as like a flowing of red and orange and i have a song in Gminor that i see as like a deep green and deep blue. i cant really see a color in my head and just play it though. i usually will record something and then play it back and see the colors which helps for the overdubs. im glad i saw this thread because i never really knew anyone else that visualized music like that.

Yeah, the colors I see aren't that strong either. The only way that I can use them to my advantage is if I am playing , lets say a G chord (dark green) and then I think "brown" in my head, I instantly think E minor.
cool...
sometimes ill play a note or chord and it'll remind me of aarndom thing i can't normaly remember...
but thats not as cool as colours.
y cant i see colours?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by sashki
It's called Synesthesia, and it's a mental condition which I thionk 5% of all people have.

look it up on Wikipedia.

EDIT: Estimated 1 in 23 people, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
cooool.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I do tend to associate certain keys with certain colours.

A minor is red, G major gold, B minor, a navy blue.
If you physically see the colors, as if it was painted onto something, then it's called Synesthesia. If you just think in your head, "Oh C Major reminds me of yellow", then it's not synesthesia, but just a way of looking at things.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
If you physically see the colors, as if it was painted onto something, then it's called Synesthesia. If you just think in your head, "Oh C Major reminds me of yellow", then it's not synesthesia, but just a way of looking at things.

and if that were the case, b*tches would be getting in car accidents across america listening to music because of the colors.

everyone experiences it differently. read up. some people who associate words with colors see the words in color, and others just think of a color for the word. it's the same for music.

either way, i don't feel it really helps or hurts me, it just is something i've always had, so it's the same as if you smelled something and thought of a food.
When I'm learning chords to a cover song, I usually associate the chords with certain words to remember what chords are played when, and then it just kinda sticks with me for a while.

Like to this day, whenever I play an Em7, no matter what song I'm playing, I think of the word "hide," because I had a chord change on that word in a song I used to play.

I wish I could associate chords with colors.. that would make things easier, I guess.
Color
is
subjective.
Quote by firetheclock
and if that were the case, b*tches would be getting in car accidents across america listening to music because of the colors.

everyone experiences it differently. read up. some people who associate words with colors see the words in color, and others just think of a color for the word. it's the same for music.

either way, i don't feel it really helps or hurts me, it just is something i've always had, so it's the same as if you smelled something and thought of a food.

That's not true. My cousin has Synesthesia, and the word stop is colored purple to him. When he hears music, he sees colors, yet he can still travel properly. And he also tastes some weird taste when he hears my dad talk. It's not a blinding color, it's more or less just a "lens", if you will, and the taste is mild, like "wearing off toothpaste" [sic].
The only thing I ever "see" when hearing a song is 1. The album cover, or 2. The guitarists fingers playing it.

Ive never associated sound and colour.
The only time I think of a color in relation to a chord is a major seventh chord, and I think of purple.