I need to learn quarter notes, 8th notes, and 16th notes. What are these? How can i practice them. Every time i play a song its way off due to the timing im hitting the notes. Please try to describe them. I might be confused how you will word them so try to be specific because im a noobie.

Thanks guys,
Quote by Metal_Ibanez_89
I need to learn quarter notes, 8th notes, and 16th notes. What are these? How can i practice them. Every time i play a song its way off due to the timing im hitting the notes. Please try to describe them. I might be confused how you will word them so try to be specific because im a noobie.

Thanks guys,

Things like this only make sence if you play to a metronome or similar but here goes:

Quarter notes: one note per click (usually the click itself)

8th notes: two notes per click.

16th notes: four notes per click.

Get yourself a metronome or find one online and set it to a low speed like 60bpm or something and play them, making sure you're playing them evenly spaced and in time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you dont have a metronome, just tap your foot and keep your taps even.

Quarter note: play a note every time your foot hits the ground

1/8th note: play note when your foot hits the ground AND when your foot is at its highest point (twice per tap)

1/16th note: play note when your foot taps, halfway to the top as your foot goes up, at the highest point, and halfway to the bottom as your foot goes down (4x per tap)

As mentioned it makes it easier, and more importantly, for even to use a metronome. You should get one, but for now the above will work.
wow you guy are really good help thanks so much. If i were to play master of puppets for an example, would i have to raise BPM and where would it be?
Quote by Metal_Ibanez_89
wow you guy are really good help thanks so much. If i were to play master of puppets for an example, would i have to raise BPM and where would it be?

The bpm for MoP is something like 220 or something stupid like that played in constant 8th notes for the most part.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay, there are 4 beats in each measure/bar in most songs that require guitar. A moderate tempo would equal 1 second per quater note, 1/2 second for 8th, and 1/4 second for 16th. If you have 4 beats per measure/bars, there would be 4 quater notes, or 8 8th notes, or 16 16th notes. 2 8th notes are equal to one quater note, and 4 16th notes are equal to one quater note.
Quote by Metal_Ibanez_89
is this going to take awhile to master this like 2 months or so?

It could take five minutes it could take five years, time doesn't matter; the point is that you're working on it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i adjust my metronome to even numbers. 60-80-100-120-140 bmps.

with each one starting slow, i dont move to a higher speed until I master.

the 8 highest notes of a major scale, minor scale and a the 1234 exercise.

for each of these i must master going down over and over, up over and over, and up AN down over and over. making sure everything is clean.

Also when starting out at a new speed, i start off with one note per beat(4th). then two notes per beat(8th), then 4 notes per beat(16th). 4 notes per beat is the fastest i go. because anything after that i can just turn the metronome faster.

try switching back and forth betwen different beats, switch from 4th to 16th to 8th etc etc, all keep the same rythem. all at the same BMP of course.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
personally for me though, is i only usually practice the TOP 8 notes of the scales because i have more trouble picking the thin strings than the coiled ones, so thus i try to practice it more.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.