Well ive been playing guitar properly for about a year and a half now and didnt really know what level i was at...So i signed up for a lesson at my local school of music..Basically the teacher told me i could probally teach him which shocked me a bit(im 16)...One thing i really want to improve is my voice but i dont really know how..as for guitar he recommended me moving onto electric guitar and start gettitn good at solos and stuff like that...That wont be happening for a while so is there good techniques i can learn and improve on acoustic(not classical) ...i think he was telling me about 12 barre blues or something but cant remember..

Thanks for your time
Damien Rice === Legend
try justin king, newton faulkner, eric mongrain.

they all use techniques you wouldn't usually come across in everyday songs. check out the people who inspired them as well.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Although I'm not insulting your ability, I'd look for a new teacher. I cannot fathom that in a year and half you have maxed out your acoustic guitar playing skills and the only solution is to play electric.

Again, this isn't a shot at you, but at the guy who had nothing to teach you. You need to find someone who can teach harder stuff. Just get him to play something harder for you, and you'll be like, "Okay, I need to learn how to do that!"
Ya thats exactly what i thought...But when i say ive been playin for a year and half i mean thats how long ive been playing properly...it took about an another year before that just getting to know all the chords and gettin good at fingerpickin and barre chords etc

I dont think i will be looking for any lessons if i got this far on my own..i would like a few free tips from here haha!

Thanks guys
Damien Rice === Legend
I'm sure that you are a decent player and know a lot, probably more than me, lol. I just remember I thought I was okay, then my teacher played for me and all of a sudden I got a lot worse, haha.

Hmm, the only thing I can suggest is to look for inspiration to listen to. Perhaps some Andy Mckee or Tommy Emmanuel.
One thing i would like to do is "develop an ear".....i think i rely too much on tabs and would like to know how to get better at figuring out chords/notes/tunings by myself
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by guitarguy182
Well ive been playing guitar properly for about a year and a half now and didnt really know what level i was at...So i signed up for a lesson at my local school of music..Basically the teacher told me i could probally teach him which shocked me a bit(im 16)...Thanks for your time

To be honest I see no point in you telling us all that.

I'd look more to improv and music theory if you don't know much about those already. Improving those will improve your ear as well. I have more 10x respect for a guitarist that whether by himself or jamming with a group can pull something out of nowhere that actually sounds good, than some mojo that memorizes someone ELSE's solo.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by 3holepunch
To be honest I see no point in you telling us all that.

I'd look more to improv and music theory if you don't know much about those already. Improving those will improve your ear as well. I have more 10x respect for a guitarist that whether by himself or jamming with a group can pull something out of nowhere that actually sounds good, than some mojo that memorizes someone ELSE's solo.

True, but at the same time... when you've got a master doing improv, the ratio I usually hear (in interviews) is 70% stock lines they've written themselves/transcribed from listening to someone else and then transcribed to all keys and written variations on, and 30% "true" improv. The 30% is connecting the known lines and creating variations on those lines on the fly. That 30% is where the magic is.
On topic: get a new teacher and learn some new styles if you can. I'm more from the electric side of things, just got into acoustic a few months back, so I can't help too much. Ask around and listen up for new things. Maybe learn touchstyle? The only guy I can think of right off hand that does touch is Billy McLaughlin, but others here will know more (feel free to pm me names too!). Oh... and look up "Sorry No Ferrari". The guitar lines are mostly (all?) touch style, though on an electric. Their myspace page
The guy on the youtube clip was amazing...... but I would have thought that this level of ability is beyond 99.9% of the planet!!!

Can I suggest listening to & trying to copy Neil Young's acoustic stuff...try the albums Harvest & Harvest Moon plus the unplugged album . That'll you get you started.

Then there's Eric Clapton's unplugged to have a go at.

Believe these are more playable but testing too
Quote by TheProducer
Although I'm not insulting your ability, I'd look for a new teacher. I cannot fathom that in a year and half you have maxed out your acoustic guitar playing skills and the only solution is to play electric.

+1 especially if you don't know what the 12 bar blues is. Not insulting you, the teacher just sounds like a jackass for saying that.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by TheProducer

definitely. lets not forget that moving onto electric isn't always the logical choice its not like electric is more of a challenge then acoustic. you can always improve on an acoustic as you can on an electric because they're two different instruments with their own sets of techniques...