My birthday is Monday and I'm hoping to get money for it so I can get my first guitar and amp. However, I have no idea what to get. I've been browsing around different websites, and I've seen a few that caught my eye, but I thought I'd ask people who actually own a guitar. I'm not going to get a beginner pack, because my dad has one and it's not all that great. And as far as amps go, no Spider. Everyone has told me to stay away from it.

I play a little of everything: rock, metal, hard rock, alternative, etc. Pretty much all kinds of rock, if that helps.
i reckon you should get a les paul there are for every type of music there kool as well and for amps you should get a peavy red something
^^^ every type of music?
I don't recall seeing les pauls in 50 cent videos or jack johnson videos

TS try stuff out, and don't impulse buy, try lots of options and see how you like the sound and feel of the guita, and the sound of the amp. If you think you're gonna be serious, get good gear first off instead of getting average gear and upgrading later
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Wait I'm confused. Is this your first guitar or just your first electric? Your join date suggests latter. What's your budget?
Quote by druz15_UG
If you think you're gonna be serious, get good gear first off instead of getting average gear and upgrading later

+1

sometimes buying good gear is a better motivator to play as well. Also if you have a better guitar you will become more highly aware of better tones
Quote by guitarnoobie
Wait I'm confused. Is this your first guitar or just your first electric? Your join date suggests latter. What's your budget?

It is my first guitar actually, because I've been playing on my dad's equipment for almost a year. But yeah, I'm looking for an electric.

Sorry, I don't have a budget yet because I didn't get the money yet. My birthday is Monday and I'm asking for the money for a guitar then. No idea how much my parents are going to give me. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't have asked until I knew how much I was getting.
you might want to get an ibanez. There really good to start out with. Dont worry about GOOD amp yet. Id get a Peavy or a marshall, or even randell amps. Ive been playing guitar for 8 months and i own an ibanez RG EX2. Very good gutiar for your budget :P
OK, I got a guitar back on Monday (my parents brought me to Guitar Center) and I settled for a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom (with tremelo). Now I'm looking for an amp. Any suggestions within the 100-200 dollar range?

Quote by Metal_Ibanez_89
Dont worry about GOOD amp yet.

Well, I've been playing for about a year and I'm in a band, plus I'm trying to record my own songs. My dad's cheap Crate that came with his Squire isn't going to cut it. The PRS sounds terrible through it (and it sounds amazing through his Roland JC-120, so I know it's not the guitar). I'd like to get a good sounding amp anyway.