I'm so metal that I don't ****ing use a pick.
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 8, 2008,
I personally try to keep less than 3 millimeters showing so I don't have to adjust my pick if I do pinch harmonics.
Depends on preferences and pick of course. I prefer leaving a few mms showing.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
its just personal preference...

for me, i have about 4 mm showing on the side of the pick that hits the string, but under my thumb theres only about 1mm so pinch harmonics are a lot easier. unless im doing chords, then theres about 1/2 inch on either side
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by Captain Scarlet
it's really just down to a question of comfort

yup
less = more control, more = more tip action sanpping back and all.
I usually don't have much showing. I have enough showing to get some snap/slam a hard double stop, but enough to pull off pinches. I can vary throughout a song pretty quickly too.
I sometimes turn my pick at a reasonably sharp angle to the strings to get a warmer, less pronounced attack, then turn it so it hits the strings flat, giving a harsher, rougher tone.
For acoustic though, i usually use a pretty soft/thin pick, and I have alot of the pick showing, with a quite loose grip (I actually sometimes drop my pick because my grip is so loose), because when I hit chords, I hate the sound of hard plastic hitting acoustic strings.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I hardly have any showing, so when I do a pinch harmonic, I just kinda roll my thumb.
I use Dunlop JAZZ-II-picks, and they're small so if want to have a good grip on it there isn't so much left showing. Since I started using them I've hated all big ones, the only thing I hate more than them is big AND light picks.