Page 1 of 2
Air Chief Marshall Sir Keith Park GCB, KBE, MC and Bar, DFC, DCL, was commander of 11 Group Fighter Command, RAF during the Battle of Britain in the summer of 1940. Park's squadrons were they key to the defense of London and Southern England and took the brunt of the Luftwaffe's air attacks. Park was a superb tactician, organising his limited aircraft, outnumbered three to one, to win the Battle of Britain.

Royal Air Force Chief Lord Tedder said of Park "If any one man won the Battle of Britain, he did. I do not believe it is realised how much that one man, with his leadership, his calm judgment and his skill, did to save not only this country but the world."

Park was a hands on commander, often flying his Hurricane in the heat of battle to gain vital intelligence, giving him the enduring respect of the pilots who flew under him. Park was also responsible for the air defense at of Dunkirk, the air defense and ultimate saving of Malta, and various campaigns in South East Asia. He also fought at Gallipoli and the Somme in the First World War, before joining the newly formed RAF in 1917, shooting down 20 enemy aircraft.

Park has largely gone unrecognised, despite the crucial role he played in saving Britain from German invasion. Calls have been made by leading English figures and politicians to have a statute of Park erected on the fourth, vacant, plinth in Trafalgar Square, along side other British heroes like Admiral Nelson.

There is currently no permanent memorial or statue in memory of Kieth Park, I ask all Britons to sign this petition calling for a statue of Park to be erected in Trafalgar Square.

http://www.sirkeithpark.com/petition.aspx
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Mar 8, 2008,
k.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Chikitty_China
i won the battle of Britain. whatever the **** that is.

Get a life - you'd be typing in German if people like this hadn't died for you, you selfish git.
Quote by Guitarist132
No thanks, i wanted the germans to win

i hope u get ass raped by a gorilla with a rusty pipe
Heres my logic, Battle of Britain determined outcome of WWII. Keith Park won the Battle of Britain. So, using the transitive property, Keith Park won WWII.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
what is the point of this?

Quote by Greg Harper
**** You.

pretty sure that was a joke
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Guitarist132

NOT a wise thing to say
Quote by Guitarist132

and what would the benefits to that happening have been??? a lifetime supply of bratwurst and sauerkraut??? thanks I'll take freedom of speech over that any day
Quote by Carswell98
what is the point of this?

pretty sure that was a joke

Cort Noob answered your question:
Quote by CORT noob
Heres my logic, Battle of Britain determined outcome of WWII. Keith Park won the Battle of Britain. So, using the transitive property, Keith Park won WWII.

Sir Keith Park doesn't have a memorial, he deserves one.
Some of the people in this thread are stupid beyond words. The amount that some people suffered so that you could live the lives you do is great to the extent that it shouldn't even be joked about.

The website is just trying to get some public recognition for a hero, and I signed up immediatly.
The amount of disrispect in this thread is quite simply disgusting. Bless that man, a true hero.

May brave men rest in peace.
Quote by Guitarist132

youre an absolute idiot, its because of people like you with your blatant stupidity and total disregard for intelligence that things like WWI/II happen.

saying things like that, jokingly or not, proves you've the maturity level of a spoiled 6year old
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by Guitarist132

YOU SUCK

it says you live in maryland, if you were for the germans isn't that slight treason you unamerican S.O.B.
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
this thread has now achieved maximum stupid

congrats
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Greg Harper
**** You.

INTERNET

Srs Biznuss
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Yeah, statue of him. Will be better than the piece of shit modern "art" they've got now.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Carswell98

congrats

Thank you! Where do I receive my reward?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']

INTERNET

Srs Biznuss

that would be my point

Quote by CORT noob
Thank you! Where do I receive my reward?

there is no reward, sorry

...unless you count the sodomy
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98

congrats

This thread has now achieved maximum level of fail of understanding sarcasm.

I didn't read the first post, but by the sound of everyone else's comments, this man needs a statue. *bandwagon*
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Ah, the maturity of the pit/modern teenagers shines through once again...

*sigh*

I'm mature enough to sit back, and understand the comment everyone is flaming was nothing more than a joke,

not only a joke, but a fairly tame one as far as pit standards, I can't remember the last time someone was flamed for posting something racist, or sexist, no, now it's a problem.

Quote by ..NEM..
This thread has now achieved maximum level of fail of understanding sarcasm.

I didn't read the first post, but by the sound of everyone else's comments, this man needs a statue. *bandwagon*

you're preaching to the converted

I'm well aware of the sarcasm, in fact, I'm on your side, the fact that everyone is making a big deal about the comment is why this is so stupid

he was a great man, and I agree, there should be something done to honor him
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Carswell98
*sigh*

I'm mature enough to sit back, and understand the comment everyone is flaming was nothing more than a joke,

not only a joke, but a fairly tame one as far as pit standards, I can't remember the last time someone was flamed for posting something racist, or sexist, no, now it's a problem.

The reason is, people who are not have from the US, on UG, they have an unhealthy amount of nationalism. The UK'ers are way too proud to take a joke. People in the US can't understand that for some reason.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Carswell98
*sigh*

I personally found that joke to be in far worst taste that most jokes on UG. It was immature, disrespectful and ignorant.
Quote by CORT noob
The reason is, people who are not have from the US, on UG, they have an unhealthy amount of nationalism. The UK'ers are way too proud to take a joke. People in the US can't understand that for some reason.

Is there anything wrong with being too proud to take a joke about people who fought and died to save your country from invasion?
Quote by Grundy0
I personally found that joke to be in far worst taste that most jokes on UG. It was immature, disrespectful and ignorant.

really?

I've seen some pretty shockingly disrespectful crap here in the last year

never has anyone made such a fuss until now
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Kiwi Ace
Is there anything wrong with being too proud to take a joke about people who fought and died to save your country from invasion?

Yes. It's in the past. If you're willing to start a fight and get your pants all up in a huffy over something that happened a long time ago, you are too proud.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I'm sorry, but attributing the victory of WWII and the security of the entire world to one man is ****ing weak.

I don't doubt he was awesome and an extremely valuable asset, but that kind of bull**** should be kept out.

I salute his contributions though.
He's more of a hero than most who get tagged that way these days.
And I think we really need a statue in a prominent public place to remind us that we once got it right up the Krauts. Jingoism can be fun.
Quote by CORT noob
Yes. It's in the past. If you're willing to start a fight and get your pants all up in a huffy over something that happened a long time ago, you are too proud.

It's not that long in the past, I had great uncles who died in that war, I had grandparents who were so traumatised by the war that it destroyed their lives. Because of their willingness to give their lives, I owe them for my freedom.
Quote by Archaon
I'm sorry, but attributing the victory of WWII and the security of the entire world to one man is ****ing weak.

Obviously that statement is a hyperbole, but Park's leadership was one of the keys in winning the Battle of Britain, and winning the Battle of Britain was one of the first instances of turning the tide against the Germans.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by CORT noob

I could agree, but numerous people technicaly won WWII If there was no Jack Churchill however, we wouldn't have stood a chance.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
It's not that long in the past, I had great uncles who died in that war, I had grandparents who were so traumatised by the war that it destroyed their lives. Because of their willingness to give their lives, I owe them for my freedom.

Maybe it's because today users fail to take a lame joke for what it is and take it litterally?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Carswell98
you're preaching to the converted

I'm well aware of the sarcasm, in fact, I'm on your side, the fact that everyone is making a big deal about the comment is why this is so stupid

he was a great man, and I agree, there should be something done to honor him

Yep, I know. But I just wanted to add to that.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']

INTERNET

Srs Biznuss

Seriously. You all get so upset about a war that actually hits closer to home for you even it was half a century ago.

Cant wait to see half of you go into the next thread about the iraq war and talk **** about the US armed forces that are over there

and btw, enough petitions.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Guitarist132
Seriously. You all get so upset about a war that actually hits closer to home for you even it was half a century ago.

Cant wait to see half of you go into the next thread about the iraq war and talk **** about the US armed forces that are over there

and btw, enough petitions.

Well you really can't compare the circumstances of the Second World War and the war in Iraq.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Well you really can't compare the circumstances of the Second World War and the war in Iraq.

Explain why not.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Kiwi Ace

I mean war is war, either way people are dying over there

And then you people act like the German soldiers were these awful people. They were soldiers like everyone else sent to fight for their country.
Quote by fosho
youre an absolute idiot, its because of people like you with your blatant stupidity and total disregard for intelligence that things like WWI/II happen.

saying things like that, jokingly or not, proves you've the maturity level of a spoiled 6year old

Yep i caused WWII, and am a spoiled 6 year old when in reality your just a cranky teen.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
...the guy who fought with a sword is still cooler, imo...
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Page 1 of 2